GTP WTAC Week 68 : Deux Grands Nez (remix)

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 25 comments
GTP WTAC Week 68 : Deux Grands Nez (remix)

*** I initially had the Gillet Vertigo Race Car paired with the Panoz Esperante but, after deciding to check whether or not R1 tires would be good enough for both cars, I found out the Gillet's gear ratios are set for a low speed track (it's top-end speed is far too low). I used to love the Gillet Vertigo in Gran Turismo 3 - it was red and had about 400-500 HP. It was a beast on all tracks and super fun to drive. This high-HP yellow Vertigo, also found in Gran Turismo 4, is just too hard to handle without full throttle control. And with Polyphony Digital setting the gear ratios too close together, this can is only really usable on short tracks with very low speeds. That's a shame because it was one of my favorite cars. To replace the Vertigo, I chose the Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car. This was one of PD's earlier 'fantasy' creations and has been in the Gran Turismo series through four versions of the game. It certainly won't be able to keep up with the Panoz Esperante, so don't try to make direct comparisons between the two cars, but it is fun to drive in it's own right. ***

1. Track : Sarthe Circuit 2005

picture.php

2. Cars : Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car & Panoz Esperante GTR-1 Race Car ’98

unledfs.jpg
l
panozt.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: R1 / R1
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday September 5th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday September 12th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday September 12th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l Detroitbb#####)36#
small_up_arrow.gif

2nd #-l MVR08#######l32#
small_down_arrow.gif

3rd #l-l vaughan#####.ll12
4th #l-l fazamu0079###lll(6

----------------------------------------------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
These cars are monsters for me. I have to turn on the TCS this time...
After read bb's preface for this week, I decide to try to feel Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car when driving.:)

Last edited:
My first times for this week's challenge:

Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car (3'55.9xx)

Panoz Esperante GTR-1 Race Car (3'44.9xx)

Hahaha first time on this track, should be fun to try ><

Also, does the 2 wheels on track rule count before the timer has started? Meaning, during the time your driving towards the start line?

Edit: my times are in!
Panoz esperante GTR-1: 4'02.479
Chevrolet Camaro LM: 4'16.273
Total: 8'18.752

Last edited:
Welcome PsYk0Wo1F! We hope you enjoy your time here in the WTAC! Please review the procedures on how to properly submit both laptimes for official inclusion into our competition. If you have any question, feel free to ask me or another one of the racers and we'll be happy to help!

Now, as to your question:
We typically frown on (and disqualify) people who do 'the shortcut' at both Le Sarthe layouts (the 'old' and the '2005' versions). Now, when I review the ghost replays, I can't see what happens before a competitor crosses the start line to begin the replay... but I do know, based on the speed at the start, if someone has cut the corner. We just ask that people be honest and take the turn legally.

:)

I did improve both times, but I have forgotten what those times were and I don't have the PSP near me at this moment. Like vaughan, I was getting the Panoz Esperante to fishtail a bit, but I did lower the spring rate for the rear (one notch/number lower than the front spring rate) and I try to avoid dropping down to 2nd gear as the wheel just spin too much. I'm faster leaving it in 3rd and not burning rubber.

I did improve both times, but I have forgotten what those times were and I don't have the PSP near me at this moment. Like vaughan, I was getting the Panoz Esperante to fishtail a bit, but I did lower the spring rate for the rear (one notch/number lower than the front spring rate) and I try to avoid dropping down to 2nd gear as the wheel just spin too much. I'm faster leaving it in 3rd and not burning rubber.
I'll try as your tune setting. I give up turning to 2nd gear to accelerate. To be stable makes more sense than to mess myself up and then crash.:dunce:

Okay then :) thank you. Where could i find these procedures? And i tried another lap last night and got the camaro down to 4'11.024 :D

EDIT: i just got the panoz down to 4'01.738. :D

Last edited:
Okay then :) thank you. Where could i find these procedures?

I'll copy & paste what I typed to another competitor a month or so ago:

"You'll need to be saving your ghost replays for each car in a given week (make sure you save the 'ghost replay' and not the normal replay). The screen you see us taking a picture of is from the PSP's XMB - it's the first part you go to when turning on your PSP. Go to 'saved data' and find you GT PSP ghost replay... then hit the triangle button. Select 'info' or 'information' and you'll be taken to the screen that we need to validate your submission. The photo is either taken with a regular camera/or a phone's camera (some people have even used a web cam or laptop camera). It's important to make sure the car, track, tire choice, and physics choice are all on the screen before taking the photo. I should mention that some people have custom firmware that allows them to take screenshots from within their PSP... but I can't elaborate on that since I can't do it on the PSP that I use. It looks like vaughan's photos are true screenshots (you can tell because they look just like they would on your PSP).

Now make sure you take one photo for each car in the challenge. Then find a free photo-hosting site and upload each photo. You'll be given a code to your photos and you can either use the code as it is or press the 'insert image' icon when typing a message here at GTPlanet (make sure you choose 'Go Advanced' instead of doing a 'Quick Reply').

To upload your actual ghost replay, you'll need to connect your PSP to a computer and transfer the ghost replay files to a computer's desktop. Once you have both, you need to put them each into their own ZIP file (on a PC, you can right click on your mouse and their should be an option to save an archive as a ZIP file). Once both are Zipped, you upload them to your post with the photos here at GTPlanet (again, make sure you are still in the 'Go Advanced' message area when replying to a thread) by choosing the 'Manage Attachments' button just below the box in which you type your messages. A pop-up box will appear and you click on 'Browse...' and select one of your zipped ghost replay files. Then go to the next 'Browse...' button and select the other ghost replay. After that, click 'Upload' and it should ready them to both be put in your post.

Finish typing your message (take note on how we do it: add you times for each car and calculate your combined times) and then click 'Submit Reply' or hit 'Preview Post' if you'd like to see it first before posting. And that should do it!"

Here is what the photos will look like: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=216705&page=3

Okay thank you :) ill get to doing that now then! :D
Panoz Esperante GTR-1 '98: 4'01.738
N0hBj.png

Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car: 4'11.024
Kjvhn.png

Total time: 8'12.762 (i think.)

For the panoz, im HOPING i stayed with two wheels on the track, there was a turn where it came EXTREMELY close and i cant tell if i stayed on or not ><
im hoping i stayed on, but ill await your judgement :)
the turn is at 2'55
its the funny sbend sort of one, after the 2nd gear turn at the bottom

Attachments

• Chevrolet Camaro Replay.zip
    57 KB · Views: 6
  • Panoz Replay.zip
    56.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
4'09.7xx4'04.483 achieved with Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car Guild line on. Brake at the right point and steer in the right time is important.

Last edited:
PsYk0Wo1F - I watched your Panoz Esperante ghost replay and it's clean! If you just tighten up your racing line, you might be three seconds faster. What I mean is... if you have a right-hand turn coming up, you'd want to be on the far left side of the track. This way, you have less of an angle to turn and you don't need to brake as much... thereby carrying more speed through the turn to the next straight. That being said, good job! If you improve your times, you can still submit something faster before the deadline (just follow the procedures like you did above).

vaughan - Nice time with the Camaro! I see you've been improving each week and this week is no exception! Are you still having trouble with the Panoz? You could always try to give it a little Traction Control (TCS) - you'll sacrifice speed for stability, but your times may (or may not) be faster. Give it a shot if you're still fishtailing too much.

I saw improvements with both cars last night: 3'43.xxx with the Panoz Esperante and 3'54.xxx with the Chevrolet Camaro.

EDIT: Here is small time calculator program that I use... let me know if it doesn't work.

Attachments

• Soft Control Time Calculator.zip
    626.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
vaughan - Nice time with the Camaro! I see you've been improving each week and this week is no exception! Are you still having trouble with the Panoz? You could always try to give it a little Traction Control (TCS) - you'll sacrifice speed for stability, but your times may (or may not) be faster. Give it a shot if you're still fishtailing too much.
I'm used to using one car, which seems to be more controllable, to get a satiable time, in the meanwhile, find the proper driving line to follow and remember the important places to be concerned. Then turn to the tougher one:) I'm going to try the Panoz today.

I'm posting my times today because I don't know if I'll have the time to do it tomorrow morning (and I've missed deadlines in the past and I don't want to repeat that!).

The 'replacement' car, the Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car, surprised me with it's very stable handling and broad powerband. Other than the ugly exterior (endemic to that generation of Camaros), I thoroughly enjoyed driving that General Motors product.

The Panoz Esperante GTR-1 Race Car was bit harder to handle in 1st and 2nd gear (too much torque), but wasn't as bad as a lot of other high-HP race cars in GT PSP. Once I learned how to avoid losing grip to the rear tires (learning how to do it and actually doing it are two different things!), the car became a track-eater. This is one automobile that I plan to take out to a few other circuits in my spare time.

Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car: 3'54.612

54612j.jpg

Panoz Esperante GTR-1 Race Car: 3'43.046

43046.jpg

combined time: 7'37.658

Thanks for a good racing week everyone! Hope to see you all for Week 69!

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C00.zip
    56 KB · Views: 8
  • UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C01.zip
    55.9 KB · Views: 8
Vehicle: Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car
Time: 4'03.140
screenshot119121555779.jpg

Vehicle: Panoz Esperante GTR-1 Race Car '98
Time: 3'55.931
screenshot119121620618.jpg

Combined time: 7'59.071.
Both with guild line on and TCS off.

Hope I'll update this post:).

Attachments

• Panoz.zip
    54.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Chevrolet_Camaro.zip
    53.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
No much time to play but I´m happy with my times given the limited playing time. My times with the Camaro were with stock settings.

Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car: 3`49.489
1209110202.jpg

Panoz Esperante GTR-1 Race Car '98: 3`39.973
1209110201.jpg

TOTAL: 7`29.462

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C01.rar
    106.9 KB · Views: 7
MVR08 takes the gold yet again... but this time, he did it without tuning and mostly likely only did a few laps (that just illustrates just how much faster he is than the rest of us!). Congratulations, Speedy! By the way, I was almost fooled into thinking that MVR08 only uploaded one ghost replay, but if you download it and look inside the .rar file, you see both replays are there. I just don't want anyone to think that he didn't properly submit for this week's challenge. :)

Just breaking below the eight minute mark was vaughan. This was an impressive set of runs from a competitor that continues to improve his skills each week. Congratulations on the bronze medal for 3rd place! You truly deserve it!

I also want to give a warm welcome to a new racer - PsYk0Wo1F. Welcome to the WTAC and we hope you enjoy your stay! He did quite well for his first time competing and we hope to see his continued participation in our little event.

👍

If you take a glance at our overall standings, you see that we are creeping upon our 48 point championship level. Once we hit this number (almost 100% certain to be next week), we'll clear all the scores back down to 0 (zero) and start a new racing session.

This week's results:

goldh.png
1st - MVR08####. (7'29.462)###[8 pts]

silverg.png
2nd - Detroitbb#$.l (7'37.658)###[7 pts]

bronzeo.png
3rd - vaughan###. (7'59.079)###[6 pts]

### 4th - PsYk0Wo1F#. (8'12.762)###[5 pts]