GTP WTAC Week 69 : Celica Revisit

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 29 comments
GTP WTAC Week 69 : Celica Revisit

*** For the WTAC Week 44 challenge, we raced using two of the last generation Celica models (a stock 1999 version and a 2000 TRD tuned version). For Week 69, we'll be revisiting two earlier Celica models: the first and second generations from Toyota. The first Celica was the 1970 1600GT that was based on the Carina platform. The styling of this car, and it's on-track performance, made it way more popular than the everyday Carina. The first-gen Celica ran until a full model redesign in 1977. Which brings us to the Celica 'Double X'... this is the second-gen version, the Toyota Celica XX 2800GT. The 'Double X' name was only available for the domestic Japanese market, but this same car was re-branded as the 'Celica Supra' for overseas markets. And, yes, the Celica was the basis of the infamous Toyota Supra (which would fully split off into it's own model after 1986). ***

1. Track : Motorland (forward)

picture.php

2. Cars : Toyota CELICA 1600GT (TA22) ’70 & Toyota CELICA XX 2800GT ’81

48986585.jpg
l
43641086.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S1 / S1
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday September 12th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday September 19th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday September 19th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l Detroitbb#####)43
2nd #-l MVR08#######l40
3rd #l-l vaughan#####.ll18
4th #l-l fazamu0079###lll(6
5th #l-l PsYk0Wo1F###llll(5

----------------------------------------------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Please make note that we are using S1 tires for this event. I rarely, if ever, choose S1's... but this challenge just called for it to be done!

Ok my times so far are
Toyota Celica XX 2800GT '81: 0'53.150
Toyota Celica 1600GT (TA22) '70: 0'53.761
Ill continue trying to improve the times :)
Cant wait till next week! Sounds like its gonna be fun ;D

^^^
Nice times!

I improved my times from last night while racing just a few minutes ago.

Toyota CELICA 1600GT (TA22) '70 : 0'51.078

Toyota CELICA XX 2800GT '81 : 0'50.457

I'll upload my ghosts in case anyone wants to race against them.

:)

Attachments

• Toyota CELICA 1600GT (TA22) '70.zip
    53.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Toyota CELICA XX 2800GT '81.zip
Detroitbb
My lines are by no means perfect; some are good... but in others, I missed the braking point. But both are decent runs.

👍

Ahahaha okay then, itd still be better than mine, really struggled to keep it on track, and had to slowdown to a crawl for some turns >< i hate this course

No new times from me... I played another game last night instead. But I will be back in the driver's seat this evening and I plan to start tuning the car (lowering the ride height, increasing the spring rate, and stiffening up the dampers a bit).

Ahahaha i do have improved times, but i dont have access to my psp right now so ill post them when i get my psp ><
on a side note, i havnt actually tuned the car yet O_o i dont have any experience tuning. Could you point me to a guide for what everything does?

easyasashii had this link in his signature: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=152532

Some of the stuff doesn't apply to us using GT PSP (our tuning options are limited versus the console versions of Gran Turismo), but some of it is helpful. It doesn't explain what each setting does though. Your best bet is to read the scrolling text at the bottom of the screen when you have the pointer/cursor on a certain tuning option. Or you can Google the stuff and see what comes up. Unfortunately, I'm not too well versed on what everything does. But I mess with the tuning options mid-week (usually starting on Wednesday) and hope I don't make the car handle worse! Sometimes I do just that, but other times I make it better!

Toyota CELICA 1600GT (TA22): 0'50.8xx

Toyota CELICA XX 2800GT: 0'50.0xx

For the 1970 Celica 1600GT, I dropped the ride height down to -21 front / -20 rear... increased spring rate to 8 for both front and rear... increased the front and rear dampers to 6... zeroed out the rear toe (I always do this at the start of the week though)... and set the front camber to 2.0 and the rear to 1.0

For the 1981 Celica XX, did all the same settings except the rear spring rate is set at 7 (front is still set at 8). The reason for the difference is that this car was breaking grip at the rear tires and fishtailing. By allowing for more suspension travel in the rear, more of the weight can be transferred to the back where the tires that accelerate are located.

I'll further refine my tuning settings this evening and test out some new ideas to make the cars better on this track.

0'51.277 1600GT with some tunning. I can feel the difference immediately after just setting sting 6/7, dump 4/5, height -20/-20, end toe -0.5. The car gets less understeer than it is when I just set end toe -0.0 and leave others as stock.

Okay my updated times are
Toyota Celica XX 2800GT '81: 0'52.110
Toyota Celica 1600GT (TA22) '70: 0'52.328
Still havnt started tuning yet :/

uhh...busy with starcraft II now,I‘ve devoted myself in that at my spare time.Sorry guys~

No problem! We all have other interests in life. Good luck and we hope you will consider rejoining the WTAC if you find yourself with extra free-time!

Okay im posting my times
Toyota Celica 1600GT:
ADAvU.png

0'52.328
Toyota Celica XX 2800GT:
ShOPR.png

0'52.110
Total:
1'44.438

Attachments

• Toyota CELICA 1600GT (TA22) Replay.zip
    53.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Toyota CELICA XX 2800GT Replay.zip
    53.2 KB · Views: 7
vaughan
You still have two or three days left to improve your record. If you have any improvement, it's welcome to update your post at any time before the deadline.👍

Yeah i know, just having trouble getting faster >< i hate this track :( i think ill do better next week :)
And to be honest, im pretty far behind im this season just starting towards the end, so my effort is only for the times to be posted atm

CELICA XX 2800GT 50.384, but felt I didn't find the proper driving line..
It also seems a little overpower on the rear wheel, easily spin when accelerate.

It also seems a little overpower on the rear wheel, easily spin when accelerate.

That's why I lowered the rear spring rate by one (I have my settings at 8 for the front / 7 rear). You could also lower the rear damper by one as well (for instance: 6 front / 5 rear). That might help a little bit...

👍

Toyota CELICA 1600GT (TA22): 0'50.445

50445.jpg

Toyota CELICA XX 2800GT: 0'49.694

49694.jpg

combined time: 1'40.139

We'll see everyone at Grand Valley Speedway for the Sports Car Festival!

👍

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-B9BB9980500.zip
  • UCUS98632RPLY-B9BB9980501.zip
Toyota CELICA 1600GT (TA22) '70 -- 0'51.277

pic.php

Toyota CELICA XX 2800GT '81 -- 0'50.395

pic.php

Combined time: 1'41.672

Lets gather in new season~

Attachments

• 1600GT.zip
    52.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 2800GT.zip
    52.6 KB · Views: 6
My submission

Toyota CELICA 1600GT (TA22) '70: ´50.584
1909110049.jpg

Toyota CELICA XX 2800GT '81: ´49.361
1909110048.jpg

Total: 1´39.945

Attachments

• Both Replays.rar
    104.6 KB · Views: 6
MVR08 breached the 1'40 mark this week to take home the gold. No surprise there as he's clearly the fastest racer in the competition. And he would have won another trophy as WTAC champion except he missed one event... but he's still the champ in my mind! Good job, MVR!

vaughan earned another bronze medal for his 3rd place finish, finishing about a second and a half behind 1st place. If he keeps going at this pace, he'll be sure to add medals of another color to his collection!

PsYk0Wo1F submitted his time early (on Friday), but if he would have given it a couple more days to race, he could have been pushing for a podium spot. There is always next week!

Thanks to all of you guys for making the WTAC what it is today! Without you, we couldn't survive and continue to compete against one another! As this racing session has ended (we have hit the 48 point threshold), we now clear all the points and start over in a new session. Let's make it another good one!

This week's results:

goldh.png
1st - MVR08####. (1'39.945)###[8 pts]

silverg.png
2nd - Detroitbb#$.l (1'40.139)###[7 pts]

bronzeo.png
3rd - vaughan###. (1'41.672)###[6 pts]

### 4th - PsYk0Wo1F#. (1'44.438)###[5 pts]