GTP WTAC Week 72 : Alpha & Omega

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 24 comments
GTP WTAC Week 72 : Alpha & Omega

*** Alpha and Omega. The beginning and the ending. For Week 72, we will feature the first Silvia (the CSP311) and the last generation Silvia (the S15). The original was a hand-built in Japan and first was made available to the public in 1965. Less than 60 cars actually were shipped to countries other than Japan (most ended up in Australia). The fact that this car was entirely hand-built meant that each one is unique and a piece of art. It also meant that the production costs were high and it took a long time to complete each model. The Spec-R AERO is an S15 Silvia and will be our Omega for this challenge. The Spec-R features a 6-speed transmission and nearly 250 HP under the hood. The S15 replaced the S14 Silvia in 1999 and was only officially sold in Japan, Australian, and New Zealand (in the latter two countries it was called the 200SX). The Silvia lasted for 42 years (1965 - 2002)... and that's pretty good for a car with limited market considering that it's only been a 2-door 2-seat coupe. I tip my hat to the long reign of the Nissan Silvia and I encourage you to join me in honoring this greatly missed model! ***

1. Track : Trial Mountain (forward)

picture.php

2. Cars : Nissan SILVIA (CSP311) ’65 & Nissan SILVIA spec-R AERO (S15) ’99

alphams.jpg
l
omegao.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday October 3rd 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday October 10th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday October 10th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l Detroitbb#####)15#
small_up_arrow.gif

2nd #-l vaughan#####.ll13#
small_up_arrow.gif

3rd #l-l MVR08#######$l8#
small_down_arrow.gif

----------------------------------------------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Challenge is active!

Come join us in celebrating the Nissan Silvia... and enjoy the first and last generation at Trial Mountain!

Silvia '65: 1'58.097

Silvia Spec-R: 1'47.509

Avoid unnecessary decreasing speed is the key to improve my time for Silvia '65. And also how to improve the average speed in Turn 8 is what to consider.

Where do those slow parts reside that result in a total 4s gap between bb and me for Spec-R?...:nervous:

Last edited:
Silvia Spec-R: 1'46.666

After this record was made, I usually had the opportunity to get a 1'45.xxx record at the first half lap. However, I always got a result above 1'46.6xx in the end ......

With the guideline on, both my times improved.
Silvia '65: 1'56.741
Silvia spec-R '99: 1'45.365

Suppose my best record for '65 could be near 1'56.2xx.

Nice improvement, vaughan!

I find that turns 7 and 11 are two of the most important ones because they are followed by a long straight. Also, staying as close to the wall as possible (without scraping it and creating sparks!) before turn 12 is important to take 12 & 13 with the most speed you can (it also gives you a good starting speed on the next lap).

With the Spec-R Aero, all the above information applies... but I mainly am focusing on trying to keep my back tires from sliding out - especially at turns 5 & 6. With the Spec-R Aero, you can't take turns 12/13 at full throttle (at least I can't!). I just let off the X button sometime before to lower my speed just enough to get through while still carrying a good amount of speed.

Don't worry about the yellow painted lines (you can go into them). Also don't worry about the white painted lines either. Just stay on the tarmac - meaning, don't go into the grass and don't hit any walls. Use all the track so you can cut down and straighten out your turn angles for maximum speed.

I always consider our rules to be that as long as no less than two wheels are staying on the tarmac is fine.:)

Turn 7 is important indeed ! And it depends on the right motion from Turn 6. If slow down the speed a little earlier and harder, the car will get more controllable and its speed can reach 11xKmph at the entrance of the tunnel. I think this way would be faster than others.

For turn 11, I found 90Kmph is a safe speed to pass through.

For turn 12, I found it seems difficult to change direction without a brake. Also I have a rough throttle control.

I have a problem in turn 3 with spec-R. I have to decrease the speed to 120Kmph at the turn entry or I slide out. On the contrary, Silvia '65 can get through it prettily well at 14xKmph.

I improved my 1965 Silvia's time by about a second and also improved the Spec-R Aero by a few tenths of a second - though, upon watching the replay after saving the ghost, I see that I scraped the wall just before turn 12. Guess I'll have to correct that error this evening!

I also reduced my time of Silvia '65 a second0.2 second(my mistake), to 1'56.546, and haven't run the spec-R yet. However, a half second reduction is my wish.
I guess my best record of '65 would be around 1'56.0xx.

Last edited:
I made some laps yesterday with the Spec-R and my faster time was 1'43.5xx. I'm looking forward to a 1'39.xxx time and I don't know if possible but thats my goal.

I made some laps yesterday with the Spec-R and my faster time was 1'43.5xx. I'm looking forward to a 1'39.xxx time and I don't know if possible but thats my goal.
I'm quite sure you can achieve it! Just a few more laps needed.👍

Hey guys! make me a favor and wach my replays of last week please!

The Lancia's run is fun (a little bit nervous drive to say the less) and I reach my goal of a 1'29.xxx time with it which I'm very proud of :sly:

Attachments

• Week 71 Replays.rar
    106.7 KB · Views: 8
Hey guys! make me a favor and wach my replays of last week please!

The Lancia's run is fun (a little bit nervous drive to say the less) and I reach my goal of a 1'29.xxx time with it which I'm very proud of :sly:
Roger! However, how could you have missed the deadline after you achieved your goal?! Or else, you had been sticking to create this record and then forgot the time...

I was always nervous to possibly witness an accident when I were watching your ghosts before. How much wild a car would run like that:scared:

I should admit your driving performance with Peugeot is more attractive to me! Wild, violent and manlike!

Agree with you that it's a little scrupulous when you're driving the Lancia. However, you still took full advantage of the wide track and manipulated fluently and without a hesitance as you always do !

And I found that you drove along a totally different driving line from what I chose. Sigh ...

How much wild a car would run like that:scared:

Like a wild bull! but the key is experiance, you practice alot and you learn how to predict what the car's gonna do so you can act quicker to solve the issues with the car cause there's always something that goes wrong or don't go as planned so your always correcting things to make the car behave as you planned it.

Some random facts..

Did you know that Silvia (at least in spanish) is a ladies name and Silvio is the male's equivalent both very common names like Mercedes.

I had a lot of fun this week. I always enjoy driving at Trial Mountain and the Spec-R Aero is a pretty fun car. I even found the original 1965 Silvia pleasurable in this challenge.

Nissan SILVIA (CSP311) ’65: 1'55.296

55296.jpg

Nissan SILVIA spec-R AERO (S15) ’99: 1'42.475

42475.jpg

combined time: 3'37.771

Please join us next week as we head to the west coast of the United States to cruise in Seattle, Washington!

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BC3DA885300.zip
    54.2 KB · Views: 8
  • UCUS98632RPLY-BC3DA885301.zip
    54.3 KB · Views: 8
How hard could it be?
Well it was a nightmare, and a great challenge to try and shave more than 3.5 seconds of my original time with the SILVIA spec-R. I was improving little by little my times but quickly it was clear that time wasn't in my favor to reach the desired mark of 1'39.xxx, and even worst I was starting to think that that time was impossible to do, but I kept running and later I made lap of 1'40.001!!:ouch: close enough right? but I knew that I wouln't sleep well with a time so close to my goal, and now knowing for sure that it was reachable!! so I keep trying and more frustration comes with it of course, but at the end, it was all worth it.👍

Mission Accomplished!!:dopey:

Nissan SILVIA spec-R AERO (S15) ’99: 1'39.930
screen21p.jpg

Nissan SILVIA (CSP311) ’65: 1'53.566
screen1orh.jpg

Total Time: 3'33.496

Lot of fun! great track and great cars to drive.👍

Attachments

• Replays.rar
    105.8 KB · Views: 9
Vehicle: Nissan SILVIA (CSP311) '65
Time: 1'56.211

pic.php

Vehicle: Nissan SILVIA spec-R AERO (S15) '99
Time: 1'45.365

pic.php

Combined time: 3'41.576

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BC3DA885303.zip
    52.9 KB · Views: 6
  • UCUS98632RPLY-BC3DA885308.zip
    53.3 KB · Views: 6
Breaking into the 1'39.xxx range is highly impressive! MVR08's run with the Spec-R Aero is nothing short of miraculous. Unbelievable run from an unbelievably fast racer! Great job, MVR08... you never fail to impress me with your skill!

I also have to mention vaughan's steady and continued improvements - it's a joy to watch someone get better and better each week. Keep it up, vaughan!

This week's results:

goldh.png
1st - MVR08####. (3'33.496)###[8 pts]

silverg.png
2nd - Detroitbb#$.l (3'37.771)###[7 pts]

bronzeo.png
3rd - vaughan###. (3'41.576)###[6 pts]

Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l Detroitbb#####)22
2nd #-l vaughan#####.ll19
3rd #l-l MVR08#######l13

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
You should not forget to give yourself a word for your activity in every thread and the always readiness to help new ones:)
I used Silvia '65 to race with Level-B AI on the motorland track and failed to be the top 3...Nevertheless, I'll keep practice and have fun with you all.

Last edited:
How hard could it be?
Well it was a nightmare, and a great challenge to try and shave more than 3.5 seconds of my original time with the SILVIA spec-R. I was improving little by little my times but quickly it was clear that time wasn't in my favor to reach the desired mark of 1'39.xxx, and even worst I was starting to think that that time was impossible to do, but I kept running and later I made lap of 1'40.001!!:ouch: close enough right? but I knew that I wouln't sleep well with a time so close to my goal, and now knowing for sure that it was reachable!! so I keep trying and more frustration comes with it of course, but at the end, it was all worth it.👍

Mission Accomplished!!:dopey:

Nissan SILVIA spec-R AERO (S15) ’99: 1'39.930
screen21p.jpg

Nissan SILVIA (CSP311) ’65: 1'53.566
screen1orh.jpg

Total Time: 3'33.496

Lot of fun! great track and great cars to drive.👍
Without question, I should never miss the wild bull's ghost this week!:dopey:

Back