GTP WTAC Week 74 : Tuned For Speed In 2003

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 26 comments
GTP WTAC Week 74 : Tuned For Speed In 2003

*** Two highly tuned 2003 versions of production cars - one German; one Japanese. The twist is that one is rear wheel drive and the other is front wheel drive. That should keep us busy with both cars having drastically different driving characteristics. At least that was my thought when picking these two automobiles! ***

1. Track : Twin Ring Motegi

picture.php

2. Cars : BMW 320i Touring Car ’03 & TRIAL CELICA SS-II (ZZT231) ’03

bmwc.jpg
l
trialfu.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: R1 / R1
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday October 17th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday October 24th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday October 24th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l Detroitbb####)29
2nd #-l MVR08######l24#
small_up_arrow.gif

3rd #l-l vaughan####.ll19#
small_down_arrow.gif

4th #l-l red ice######lll6
5th #l-l kaori########l5

----------------------------------------------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
The Fry's photo - that's the face I make every time I realize that I forgot to upload the replay files.

Its weird.
Eventhough, The Celica is an FF car, being a Tuner car, it has no aerodynamic tweaking option.

Started out with the BMW 320,
2'11.xxx
I rarely drive around this track but I think I remember Sylar and Sir Lion-Face saying the S-curves and the hairpin are the critical parts.

I rarely drive around this track but I think I remember Sylar and Sir Lion-Face saying the S-curves and the hairpin are the critical parts.

There is a part in those corners where there's more grip because of the rubber I don't know but thats where your racing line needs to be.

2'04.7xx with the Trial Celica

2'06.6xx with the BMW 320i

It's odd to be losing grip with the front-wheel drive Celica (they are usually harder to slide) but not with the rear-wheel drive BMW!

Those pics are beautiful red ice!

I ran some laps with the Celica. With 0 toe and 0 camber I reached a time of 2'02.8xx.

^unbelievable!^ Never fails to amaze me!
I think 2'05.xxx is my limit, I can't improve further with the Celica.
And now I move on to the BMW. Hoping to get at least a 2'07.xxx

I did get a slightly better time with the BMW 530i by about a tenth of a second (2'06.2xx). But I am still having trouble with the Trial Celica and couldn't get a better time last night.

I'm wondering whether there is a way to brake and turn like AI does. I mean brake hard at first, less the brake and turn, throttle gradually once I finish the brake after passing the apex. AI did so well, so smoothly and swiftly, especially at the Turn 5 and T3 hairpin.
(Attached my ghost for advice)

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BC9E1EFE604.zip
    53.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
^I usually do the tap tap technique.^
-Brake Hard
-Shift down to 2nd or stay at 3rd gear
-let the cornering speed take me halfway through and then
-step on the gas(TAP TAP TAP) as soon as I see a manageable exit angle while (TAP TAP TAP) steering

Motegi is actually a series of midspeed corners and long straights which make every corner exit speed vital to achieving a fast total time.

As I remember from former TACers, its better to prioritize corners leading to long straights rather than corners which are a combination of low speeds. The logic being the straights will give you a greater amount of opportunity to gain the proportional acceleration which cars are really made for, rather than gaining quicker acceleration in low speed turns.

Its not that the low speed corners are unimportant, its just that for a player like me who does not fare well in the weekly challenges, I can only do much as the skill I have. So, rather than making all corners count and spend all 7 days perfecting them, I'd rather practice in making the most important corners better driven. As soon as I get confident with these so-called important corners, then I tackle other corners with the remaining time I have to play.

But of course, all great TACers take all corners all equally important. MVR does this so well, that he makes his times superfast. Sir LF, Sylar, Dan, Easy, Dbb, Pitch, pvr and so many, showed me how to... but my skill is just not that good.

Anyway, here's my personal track analysis. Corners ranked as the most important. (1)-being the highest priority. Meaning... achieving the best possible exit speed on that corner will gain you a better overall time.
*refer to Dbb's track layout*
1. Hairpin
2. Victory Corner
3. Corner 5
4. Corner 4
5. Corner 2
6. Scurves and V curve combination
7. 90degree corner
8. Corner 1
9. Corner 3
10. 130R

Of course, All TAC challenges are Car and Track mastery. Master the Car, Master the physics, then Master the track, Have Fun! and Feel good about it. Its what WTAC is.

GTPSP pro physics is heavily reliant on Tire Physics. We don't have the luxury to tweak things properly, so its very important to master the tire grip too. I know a guy who never tunes the car but still wins in WTAC. He just masters the grip. S2s are the hardest for me, of course, lets say against R1s. Doing a Time Trial with no opponents is like having yourself to beat. Sports Grade tires have a limit but the hard thing here is that we can't warm them up and achieve gradual improvement as laps go by. Its just the way it is from the 1st lap through the 99th lap. Whenever I race TAC on S2s, I'm dead. Most of the week I would try to tame those S2s rather taming the car and track. R1s, like this week, makes me slightly forget the R1 being there. Coz it blends well with the Race car itself. Anybody who have succeeded in Taming the Yellowbird on S2s...My God! That is TALENT!

Tuning however, makes the car easier most of the time, but knowledge of GTPSP tuning is tricky and sometimes weird. Especially on Time Trials. I remember Easy, showing me a tune of Vintage car in weird settings which achieves fast times. Logically, it should not be fast, but it is. I mean how can a -25rear ride height set at damper springs 1 actually work? Softest spring on low maxed height car? It would bottom out. Technically it was made such as to reduce Oversteer.
Though, It does not happen all the time.

Don't give up on those times. I'm sure you can get better each passing week.

hmm, did I made sense? ;)

BMW 530i: 2'05.764

05764.jpg

Trial Celica: 2'03.649

03649.jpg

combined time: 4'09.413

👍

Please join us in The Big Apple!

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BC9E1EFE600.zip
    54.2 KB · Views: 8
  • UCUS98632RPLY-BC9E1EFE601.zip
    54.5 KB · Views: 8
To red ice, Appreciate your delicate advice. I'll follow you as to focus on the important points to get largest benefit out of lest effort:) Also this will force me to practice and feel what has been changed in a solid way.

However, I found the AI release the brake gradually while steering in a turn which attracts me a lot. It seems to be a little more smoothly and perhaps loose less speed(I guess). Is it right? And does anyone of you use this skill? Although I guess it's hard to realize using PSP for human...

Upload my result for this week.

Vehicle: BMW 320i Touring Car '03
Time: 2'09.479

screenshot1110243561606.jpg

Vehicle: TRIAL CELICA SS-II (ZZT231) '03
Time: 2'06.977

screenshot1110243554209.jpg

Combined time: 4'16.456

Attachments

• Celica.zip
    53.3 KB · Views: 6
  • BMW.zip
    53.2 KB · Views: 6
Sorry guys!!! I had a power cut this morning (just when I was to press the submit button) and I'll be posting a little bit late. What a good timing!!

Too bad. My friend had to use his PSP yesterday. No submission for me this week and I hope to borrow it back on Thursday.
:(

BMW 320i Touring Car '03: 2'05.350
screen1f.jpg

TRIAL CELICA SS-II (ZZT231) '03: 2'02.284
screen2kv.jpg

Total Time: 4'07.634

Attachments

• Replays.rar
    105.5 KB · Views: 6
Sorry for not writing more about this past week's challenge (I have an appointment I need to be at very soon), but here are the results!

Congratulations to everyone!

This week's results:

goldh.png
1st - MVR08####. (4'07.634)###[8 pts]

silverg.png
2nd - Detroitbb#$.l (4'09.413)###[7 pts]

bronzeo.png
3rd - vaughan###. (4'16.456)###[6 pts]

### 4th - red ice####ll (--------)###[*DNF]