GTP WTAC Week 81 : 1970 Can-Am Revisit

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 14 comments
GTP WTAC Week 81 : 1970 Can-Am Revisit

*** The Can-Am Championship (Canadian-American) was an SCCA series racing event held in these two North American countries. In 1970, the entrants was a very popular race series with both racers and their manufacturers, but also with the competitors. They famous for having little to no restrictions on the automobiles and that resulted in simply outrageous track-eating machines (not unlike the WRC's Group B in the mid-80s). These two cars were both scheduled to compete against one another in the 1970 Can-Am, but two fatal crashes forced Toyota to pull it's Toyota 7 open-cockpit racer before the series even started. The Chaparral 2J was plagued with mechanical problems in almost every race, but it usually held the pole-position due to it's being much faster than all the other others cars (due to it's second engine that sucked the air out from underneath the car). 'The Vacuum Cleaner' was, and still is, the common name that people use when referring to the Chaparral 2J. ***

1. Track : Midfield Raceway (forward)

picture.php

2. Cars : Chaparral 2J Race Car ’70 & Toyota 7 Race Car ’70

56052105.jpg
l
58938550.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: R1 / R1
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday December 5th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday December 12th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday December 12th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l MVR08######l32
2nd #-l Detroitbb####)26
3rd #l-l Dan360#####&14#
small_up_arrow.gif

4th #l-l vaughan####.ll12#
small_down_arrow.gif

----------------------------------------------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Why is Jason Voorhees driving the Toyota 7??

Edit: Nevermind, no one got the reference.

Last edited:
hey guys I don't have these cars, but I'll try to get back into this in the new year due to a broken laptop and the absence of a camera.:(

Could we do something with the SLR and 300SL when I do get back please?👍

hey guys I don't have these cars, but I'll try to get back into this in the new year due to a broken laptop and the absence of a camera.:(

Could we do something with the SLR and 300SL when I do get back please?👍

Hello! It's been a long time, Petrolhead1!

:)

We already have the future lineups chosen until January 16th. And we've already used both cars in Week 43's challenge. We are trying to race with all the cars in GT PSP without any repeat appearances... but I'll let our regulars PM me with their personal thoughts on the matter. If they decide to re-use one or both of the cars (I remember that the 300 SL was a big hit with everyone), then we could make an exception.

WTAC racers - Please Private Message (PM) me with your thoughts on this! Thank you!

Why is Jason Voorhees driving the Toyota 7??

Am I the only one to notice this? In either car go on the roof view and look back, notice that the driver looks like he's wearing the Jason mask (from Friday the 13th)

Sorry, no photos for this week's entry. It's a long story but I simply forgot to take the photos. :dunce:

Chapparal 2J - 1'03.173

Toyota 7 - 1'04.384

Combined time: 2'07.557

Attachments

• Replays.zip
    107.9 KB · Views: 7
Am I the only one to notice this? In either car go on the roof view and look back, notice that the driver looks like he's wearing the Jason mask (from Friday the 13th)

Oh... that's what that name referred to! I kept thinking to myself, "who the hell is Jason Voorhees?". I thought he might have been a famous racecar driver. Ha ha ha

I never saw any of the Friday The 13th movies, so that's why the fairly popular cultural reference flew right over my head!

Sorry, no photos for this week's entry. It's a long story but I simply forgot to take the photos. :dunce:

The challenge doesn't end until tomorrow, so you still have time to post photos. If you have no access to a camera before the deadline, just let me know and I'll figure something else out.

👍

Last edited:
Even though only two models are present in GT PSP, Chaparral is now one of my favorite manufacturers in the game. Both cars, the 2J and the 2D, are an absolute pleasure to drive. The fact that they only have three gears only adds to the fun!

The Toyota 7 is also a great car, but is much more fickle in terms of grip and handling. It's still super fast though.

Chaparral 2J: 1'04.587

04587.jpg

Toyota 7: 1'05.635

05635.jpg

combined time: 2'10.222

I hope to see you all in Week 82's challenge... which I haven't yet decided what track to use for it yet!

:gtplanet:

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BBA50872100.zip
    53.5 KB · Views: 7
  • UCUS98632RPLY-BBA50872101.zip
    53.6 KB · Views: 7
Ha! I could not improve my time with the Toyota 7, but the Chaparral 2J was a little more doable. The Toyota 7 is faster than the 2J, cornering (something I wasn't expecting) and in a straight line but it is so hard to keep under control with the psp controls (in GT5 its not that hard). It's like the Corvette ZR1 and the Nissan GTR, the ZR1 is technically faster but its so hard to exploit his full potential, thats why you can come up with a technically under-powered car and beat it.

Toyota 7: 1'04.302
screen2ln.jpg

Chaparral 2J: 1'02.826
screen1ov.jpg

Total Time: 2'07.128

Attachments

• Replays.rar
    104.9 KB · Views: 8
First of all, I want to apologize to Dan. I was going to load his replays up on my PSP and take the photos for him. Then I totally forgot until just this moment - oops! But since he already uploaded his ghost replays yesterday, I'm going to count his submission because it's my fault that I didn't take the pictures like I was going to do.

Secondly, both Dan and MVR got a 1'04.3xx with the Toyota 7 - that's HIGHLY impressive! It takes some serious skills to keep all that power under control!

MVR08 is up to 40 total points currently. If he wins the next challenge, our current racing session will end and we'll start anew!

Dan360 is keeping close behind MVR08 and giving him a challenge that I just can't do. I was always 2-3 seconds behind MVR, but Dan is usually just a few tenths behind (and he's a bit rusty having not using GT PSP for many months.

Congratulations to the both of you for the competitive racing!

This week's results:

goldh.png
1st - MVR08###.ll (2'07.128)###[8 pts]

silverg.png
2nd - Dan360###. (2'07.557)###[7 pts]

bronzeo.png
3rd - Detroitbb#$.l (2'10.222)###[6 pts]

Current session points leaders: