GTP WTAC Week 86 : U.K. Versus France

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 22 comments
GTP WTAC Week 86 : U.K. Versus France

*** Bentley represents the United Kingdom and Pescarolo is representing France in this battle of 2003 Le Mans racecars. ***

1. Track : Sarthe Circuit 2005

picture.php

2. Cars : Bentley Speed 8 Race Car ’03 & Pescarolo Courage C60 – Peugeot Race Car ’03

bentleyse.jpg
l
pescarolo.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: R1 / R1
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday January 9th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday January 16th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday January 16th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l MVR08######l23
2nd #-l Dan360#####$22#
small_down_arrow.gif

3rd #l-l Detroitbb####)17
4th #l-l anastasis14###(6
5th #l-l vaughan#####$5#
small_down_arrow.gif

6th #l-l Antares26####$4

----------------------------------------------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Found both the Speed 8 and the C60, quite a pain to buy, though, these cars cost a lot! Can't wait for the track announcement.

Now this feels more like a Le Mans Qualifying session more than a time attack, I'm gonna try this out now! 👍

Initial times (stock settings)
Bentley Speed 8 ~ 3'32.4xx
Pescarolo Courage C60 ~ 3'34.2xx

I find the Bentley to be a better car than the C60, better handling, higher top speed. The difference may be because the C60 is an older car than the Speed 8. :odd:

Plus, these two cars are a pain to run without TCS. 800hp and RWD layouts aren't really cut out for tapping the gas (at least not for me :ouch:) so I run these cars with a TCS of 2.

I find the Bentley to be a better car than the C60, better handling, higher top speed. The difference may be because the C60 is an older car than the Speed 8. :odd:

Plus, these two cars are a pain to run without TCS. 800hp and RWD layouts aren't really cut out for tapping the gas (at least not for me :ouch:) so I run these cars with a TCS of 2.

I also found the Bentley Speed 8 to be better on the circuit. It's less likely to lose rear tire grip and slide. The Pescarolo Courage C60 also hits the top of the rev-limiter and drops your top speed down (unless you keep your speed just below that limit).

:)

My first times (all stock)...

• Bentley Speed 8: 3'30.113
  • Pescarolo Courage C60: 3'31.139

I'll upload my ghost replay files in case anyone with the North American copy of the game (UCUS) wants to watch or race against my ghosts.

Attachments

• [UCUS] Bentley Speed 8.zip
    55.8 KB · Views: 8
  • [UCUS] Pescarolo Courage C60.zip
    55.8 KB · Views: 7
Newer times (quick tuned settings)
Speed 8 - 3:30.3xx
C60 - 3:32.5xx

Finally got to handle the C60 better, and the Speed 8 is just a very fast car, though I still need to work out where exactly I'm gonna brake.

Just a quick question too, how much of the final chicane are we allowed to go over on?

Just a quick question too, how much of the final chicane are we allowed to go over on?

Same as at any other time in the rules, but with this set of quick turns, we would only be dealing with inside turns/corners/edges. Make sure to keep two tires on the track/tarmac/road (but don't let those two tires touch the inside rumble strip!).

These two cars would be driving what we consider to be a 'clean' lap. You can ride two tires up on the insides of the chicane, but only those two tires. The driver in the photo below is OK as long as he doesn't let those last two tires (on the driver's left-hand side) touch the red & white stripes:

chicane.jpg

Here's the section of the rules pertaining to the question:

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean

- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

Last edited:
Newer times again (quick tuned settings)
Speed 8 ~ 3:29.1xx
C60 ~ 3:30.5xx

Basically, I found the Dunlop, the Esses and the Porsche-Maison sections to be the most important parts to get a good lap, those corners can add a whole second to your time if taken too fast or slow. :)

I only used the Bentley last night, but I did get it's time down to 3'29.925 - and I hope to do well in the Pescarolo this evening!

After more tries of driving around La Sarthe with those two supercars, I currently have these times:
Speed 8 ~ 3'27.436
Courage C60 ~ 3'29.842

The C60....is just too hard to keep straight, I'm honestly chicken to go full throttle on some sections where I usually keep the accelerator on in the Bentley. It's like the LMP equivalent of the GT40, not even max downforce can keep the tires hugging the road.

My real, offline life conspired against me to keep me from running any more laps in either of these cars. I am actually submitting my times with the Pescarolo being faster than the Bentley! I know that the Bentley Speed 8 is faster than the Psecarolo Courage C60, but I just won't have the time to run more laps before the deadline.

Bentley Speed 8 Race Car '03: 3'29.925

29925.jpg

Pescarolo Courage C60 '03: 3'29.826

29826.jpg

combined time: 6'59.751

For Week 87, we'll travel a bit east (but still within the European Union)... please join us!

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C00.zip
    55.7 KB · Views: 7
  • UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C01.zip
    56.1 KB · Views: 7
After hopelessly trying to tame the monster that is the Pescarolo.....I gave up and decided to submit my times with the one I had. I know I can push a little bit faster with the C60, but with my midterm exams this week, I had to let go of the PSP. :(

So here they are:

Bentley Speed 8 Race Car '03: 3'25.697
Week86-BentleySpeed8.jpg

Pescarolo Courage C60 - Peugeot Race Car '03: 3'28.041
Week86-PescaroloCourageC60.jpg

Overall time: 6'53.738

I know that the Bentley will be a faster car, but I was honestly surprised the gap was that big, I never really saw much difference between the LMP cars in terms of performance before.

And since I've mentioned my midterms I probably won't be able to join you guys on the next event....it's a shame since the Ring is one of my all-time favorites and it's probably the main reason I joined this event. :(

But I had great fun this week, and I hope to see you guys in the next challenges! 👍

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C00.zip
    56.8 KB · Views: 7
  • UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C01.zip
    56.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
What a fiasco!!!:guilty:

My PSP is giving me troubles with the analog stick, it now likes to turn right randomly ruining my laps in the act, and when I find a little gap and am running good paced laps then its me who can't keep the car on the racing line (or in a straight line:ouch:). I'm so pissed!!:grumpy:

Bentley Speed 8 Race Car '03: 3'23.198
screen2yx.jpg

Pescarolo Courage C60 - Peugeot Race Car '03: 3'27.589
screen1ad.jpg

Total Time: 6'50.787

👎 ..to me haha.

Attachments

• Replays.rar
    107 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Vehicle: Bentley Speed 8 Race Car '03
Time: 3'49.322

pic.php

Vehicle: Pescarolo Courage C60 - Peugeot Race Car '03
Time: 3'50.379

pic.php

Combined time: 7'39.701.

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C03.zip
    54.3 KB · Views: 7
  • UCUS98632RPLY-BB4E9A06C06.zip
    54.2 KB · Views: 7
Even though his PSP now has steering issues (due to the analog stick), MVR08 still managed to take 1st place this week... congratulations, MVR08!

Earning 2nd place this week was Antares26 with an impressive result in both cars. Good job, Antares26!

It was great to see a submission from vaughan again! That always makes me smile!

We missed Dan360, anastasis14, red ice, and Petrolhead1 for Week 86... but we'll see them again soon in the WTAC!

This week's results:

goldh.png
1st - MVR08####. (6'50.787)###[8 pts]

silverg.png
2nd - Antares26## (6'53.738)###[7 pts]

bronzeo.png
3rd - Detroitbb##.. (6'59.751)###[6 pts]

### 4th - vaughan###l (7'39.701)###[5 pts]

*Honorable Mentions go out to red ice, Dan360, anastasis14, and Petrolhead1.

Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l MVR08######l31
2nd #-l Detroitbb####)23#
small_up_arrow.gif

3rd #l-l Dan360#####$22#
small_down_arrow.gif

4th #l-l Antares26####11#
small_up_arrow.gif

5th #l-l vaughan#####10
6th #l-l anastasis14###(6#
small_down_arrow.gif

:gtpflag:

First of all, sorry that I couldn't submit a time this week. I was busy and I spent all of my free time on GT5 online. I will be back for next week's challenge, though. :)

What a fiasco!!!:guilty:

My PSP is giving me troubles with the analog stick, it now likes to turn right randomly ruining my laps in the act, and when I find a little gap and am running good paced laps then its me who can't keep the car on the racing line (or in a straight line:ouch:). I'm so pissed!!:grumpy:

You're not the only one, this problem has, and is, happening to me. This problem goes away with time, so don't worry about it. Try disabling the d-pad controls, whenever I drive without the D-pad the problem goes away.

Back