GTP WTAC Week 89 : Metamorphosis Of The Lotus Esprit

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 24 comments
GTP WTAC Week 89 : Metamorphosis Of The Lotus Esprit

*** The Lotus Europa was first sold to the public in 1966 and this lightweight car with great performance was made until 1975 when it evolved into, and was replaced by, the Lotus Esprit. The Esprit's exterior was created by Giorgetto Giugiaro of Italdesign in 1972. The public's response to this car was strong and Lotus started to put the car into production for a 1976 release. The Esprit featured here is the 3rd-generation turbo version. We'll be able to drive two more contemporary versions of the Esprit in the coming weeks. But, for now, enjoy the beginnings of this iconic automobile! ***

1. Track : Twin Ring Motegi East Short Course

picture.php

2. Cars : Lotus Europa Special ’71 & Lotus Esprit Turbo HC ’87

europah.jpg
l
espritpi.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday January 30th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday February 6th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday February 6th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l MVR08######l47
2nd #-l Dan360#####$29###(tied for 2nd)
2nd #-l Detroitbb####)29#
small_up_arrow.gif
#(tied for 2nd)
4th #l-l Antares26####23
5th #l-l anastasis14##lll12
6th #l-l vaughan####4l10
7th #l-l zipiol########l9

----------------------------------------------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Once or twice we've used R3's in the WTAC (I believe for both of the Formula One cars). I try to stay away from R3's due to their unrealistic grip. Also, the better racers (I'm definitely not one of the better racers!) enjoy the increased challenge and more realistic handling of less 'grippy' tires.

I generally select N3, S2, or R1 for most events... but sometimes choose another tire choice depending on the cars and the track.

Once or twice we've used R3's in the WTAC (I believe for both of the Formula One cars). I try to stay away from R3's due to their unrealistic grip. Also, the better racers (I'm definitely not one of the better racers!) enjoy the increased challenge and more realistic handling of less 'grippy' tires.

I generally select N3, S2, or R1 for most events... but sometimes choose another tire choice depending on the cars and the track.

I completely agree with the unrealistic grip of the R3 tires, it's like driving in just a more sensitive version of the Standard physics. :crazy:

The tire choices here in the WTAC are actually very good, at first I was appalled because I'm honestly an R3 tires guy before I entered, but when I practiced, it was really worth the challenge. It gives you a need to balance speed and control. 👍

I finally got hold of the PSP again, busy week..... Anyway,

Twin Ring Motegi East Short Course
Lotus Esprit Turbo HC '87 - 1'41.8xx
Lotus Europa Special '71 - 1'47.3xx

Stock Settings

New times, this time with the starting L-F tuning of 0.0 rear toe
Lotus Esprit Turbo HC '87 ~ 1'40.0xx
Lotus Europa Special '71 ~ 1'45.3xx

Anyone else have newer times?

Lotus Europa Special: 1'44.178

308leuh.jpg

Lotus Esprit Turbo HC: 1'38.766

wi7wup.jpg

combined time: 3'22.944

Please join us for Week 90's challenge in The City Of Lights!

👍

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-B1366A9EF00.zip
    54.1 KB · Views: 37
  • UCUS98632RPLY-B1366A9EF01.zip
    54.2 KB · Views: 37
Lotus Europa Special ’71: 1'42.596
screen2jy.png

Lotus Esprit < I had over a decade thinking it was, and reading it as Spirit...:ill: Turbo HC &#8217;87: 1'36.980
screen1cd.png

Total Time: 3'19.576
👍

Attachments

• Replays.rar
    105.7 KB · Views: 37
This week, real life forced me to keep away from the PSP, and I've only had a few days worth of running serious laps. :ouch:

But nevertheless, I managed to use today to get some laps dialed in.

Lotus Europa Special '71 ~ 1'43.809
Week89-EuropaSpecial.jpg

Lotus Esprit Turbo HC '87 ~ 1'38.250
Week89-EspritTurboHC.jpg

Overall Combined Time: 3'22.059

This isn't really what I'd call my best laps, I know I can do better with both cars but even though I was only able to play for four days with only an hour each, I'm quite happy with how it turned out. It really shows how important time is for getting a really good lap. 👍

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-B1366A9EF00.rar
    55.1 KB · Views: 37
  • UCUS98632RPLY-B1366A9EF01.rar
    55.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Lotus Europa Special: 1'49.552

59286982.png

Lotus Esprit Turbo HC: 1'43.920

scaled.php

combined time: 3'33.472

Attachments

• ghosts.rar
    58.6 KB · Views: 37
WTAC Week 89

I'm really old...and late as usual.
Here's one of my all time favorites: The Lotus Esprit Turbo HC! I still have my poster of that together with the Countach, Testarossa, Dome.
And how can I forget. The Lotus Europa. Gran Turismo 2 License Test in Grindelwald. The one and only license test where I got a KIDDIE PRIZE!!! lol

5 days ago, I ran 10 laps for each car. This was the best I could do. :)

Course: Twin Ring Motegi East Short Course / Forward

Vehicle: Lotus Esprit Turbo HC '87
Time: 1'40.779
Professional
S2 / S2
espritr.jpg

Course: Twin Ring Motegi East Short Course / Forward
Vehicle: Lotus Europa Special '71
Time: 1'46.438
Professional
S2 / S2
europacb.jpg

Combined Time;
3'27.217

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-B1366A9EF02.rar
    53 KB · Views: 37
  • UCUS98632RPLY-B1366A9EF03.rar
    52.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hey guys, I never ran with the 2nd Lotus. This was the last track I ran back when I did WTAC regularly and it put me off lol, I really don't like the track.

I did a lot of running with the Lotus Europa and finished with a 1:42.2xx by the time I got around to the Lotus Turbo I ran out of steam and time and didn't get a clean lap in.

Please join me in congratulating the winner of this past racing session - MVR08! He finished 21 points ahead of the second place finisher. That, fellow competitors, is the classic definition of 'dominance'. And his win is well-deserved.

Sneaking up and grabbing third place overall was Antares26, who finished with 30 points... just one point ahead of Dan360. Good job, Antares26!

I also want to thank zipiol, anastasis14, Dan360, red ice, Lion-Face, petrolhead1, and vaughan for making one of the best racing sessions we've had in a while! Here's hoping we can top it with this new racing session!

I should also mention that Shigegaki, the original founder of the TAC, has stated his intention to buy the PSP Vita when it releases and rejoin the WTAC.

So, without further delay: MVR08... please accept your trophy!

magdbt.jpg

MVR08 - WTAC Champion

This week's results:

goldh.png
1st - MVR08####. (3'19.576)###[8 pts]

silverg.png
2nd - Antares26## (3'22.059)###[7 pts]

bronzeo.png
3rd - Detroitbb### (3'22.944)###[6 pts]

### 4th - zipiol#####.l (3'33.472)###[5 pts]

*Honorable mentions to Lion-Face, red ice, and anastasis14!

Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l MVR08######l56
2nd #-l Detroitbb####)35#
small_up_arrow.gif

3rd #l-l Antares26####30#
small_up_arrow.gif

4th #l-l Dan360#####$29#
small_down_arrow.gif

5th #l-l zipiol#######.14#
small_up_arrow.gif

6th #l-l anastasis14##lll12
7th #l-l vaughan####4l10

:gtpflag:

It's been a good first season for me and a lucky 3rd overall too :P
I've sincerely enjoyed being here and of course, I'd want to stay for years already!

Thanks to everyone for having these fun-filled challenge weeks. See you all next season! 👍

I should also mention that Shigegaki, the original founder of the TAC, has stated his intention to buy the PSP Vita when it releases and rejoin the WTAC

and how is that? there is no GT on vita yet, and even if it will be, those will be 2 different games... Is He going to buy AGAIN GTPSP in PSN? O.o

btw, that's sooo ridiculous Sony's solution... ;/

Back