GTP_Ingram's Alfa Romeo 156: ch-ch-changes

• Thread starter GTP_Ingram
  • 93 comments
For the benefit of everyone else, I had a little fracas with the bolt which fastened the front N/S brake disc to the hub. Originally it would have looked rather like this one:

View attachment 581875

...only rather more rusty.

Ah yes, I'm familiar with those, the Panda has them too. Absolutely awful idea, why can't they just have normal screws like everyone else?

Calipers are looking great though, and those wheels will look even better once they're fitted.

Nothing too thrilling to report about the Alfa, but today I gave it a thorough wash. Used a clay bar properly for the first time, and treated it to a coat of wax too. Pretty much the most effort I've put into cleaning any car before.

IMG_20160924_181631.jpg

IMG_20160924_182526.jpg

One thing becomes even more apparent after a thorough wash: the front bumper has clearly been repainted by an imbecile at some point. It isn't an urgent fix, but I'd certainly like to get it sorted as it's kinda letting the rest down at the moment.

One thing becomes even more apparent after a thorough wash: the front bumper has clearly been repainted by an imbecile at some point. It isn't an urgent fix, but I'd certainly like to get it sorted as it's kinda letting the rest down at the moment.
I feel your pain. I removed my front bumper to fix some dislodged grille sections only to find the previous owner had had the front bumper fixed (presumably due to some minor shunt) and they'd snapped the clips that hold the top corners in place so they used silicone adhesive between the fender/wing panels and the front bumper! Dodgy as!!

Soo, it's been an awfully long time since I last updated this thread.

First of all, the Alfa has gone. Sold it back in February to a bloke who had never owned an Alfa before but had always wanted one. The good news is that he still owns it, it breezed through its last MOT, and he's really enjoying it.

Anyway, the Alfa was replaced with something a little more... Modest:

s-l1600 (4).jpg

A Peugeot 205 GL, fitted with a 1.1-litre carb-fed engine with a whopping (when new) 55hp. This is one photo from the seller.

When I bought it, it had overheating issues and a broken heater, alternator not good, tyres were dodgy, brakes were worse, the speedo was hopelessly inaccurate and screeched alarmingly above 35mph, there was ancient mouldy orange peel in the door pocket (it only had one door pocket, because poverty-spec 1980s hatch) and it was generally very scruffy. BUT, it was structurally very clean, had loads of history and only 86k miles on the clock, and was mechanically sound overall.

And here's the crucial thing: it cost me £111.

The aim was never to keep it long-term - I would fix it up, enjoy it for a while and maybe make some money when the time came to sell.

First job was to replace the brakes, because the front pads looked like this

IMG_20170409_210233_567.jpg

Eek.

After that, more work. I stuck four new Michelins on it and sorted the tracking. The coolant system was missing about two litres (!) of coolant and needed bleeding properly - which fixed the engine cooling and heater for almost nothing. Gave a full service including leads etc. Treated the insides to a forensic clean, dyed the faded bumpers, tidied/repainted the scruffy wheel trims, and generally scrubbed up the outside as best I could. Then for an MOT, which - aside from an advisory for a split rubber gaiter - it passed with ease. Anyway, I ended up with this:

IMG_20170923_170959_791.jpg

IMG_20170926_225705_854.jpg

When all was working, it was really good fun to drive. Not as slow as 55hp would suggest - it weighs less than 800kg - and the four speed gearbox was genuinely brilliant. Not a huge amount of grip from the skinny tyres and lots of body roll, but a great balance and plenty of information through the steering. Ride excellent for a supermini, even by today's standards. In other words, it's ideal for pottering about London, which is how I used it most often - much to the envy of all hipsters. Probably.

Feeling happy with my work, I put the 205 up for sale in September. Sold for £600. I reckon I didn't quite make a profit (I think I'd have needed to sell for about £645 to break even), but it gave me enough for my next car, which I'll post soon...

Back