GTP_WRS Week 22: Spa Super Formula Grand Prix

I can’t seem to improve on my posted splits. It is so much fun to drive so I won’t stop trying anytime soon. Nice splits from the Bob’s! Nice to see you!

1:21.688
Been lurking for ages, just waiting for a combo that I fancied a go at on GT7, finally it has come around!
Decided to sneak on for an hour before heading off to bed... its now 4am. Oops.
Very frustrating combination, snap understeer, snap oversteer, gets less stable with speed but it just has so much potential to give.
Initially I was a bit concerned something was wrong based on how quickly things came up to pace but trying to go harder quickly proved exponentially more challenging, but moreso seeming like the wind direction was particularly favourable for S1/S2 but not so much S3, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was already behind at the line even with the splits as they are.

1:21.688
Been lurking for ages, just waiting for a combo that I fancied a go at on GT7, finally it has come around!
Decided to sneak on for an hour before heading off to bed... its now 4am. Oops.
Very frustrating combination, snap understeer, snap oversteer, gets less stable with speed but it just has so much potential to give.
Initially I was a bit concerned something was wrong based on how quickly things came up to pace but trying to go harder quickly proved exponentially more challenging, but moreso seeming like the wind direction was particularly favourable for S1/S2 but not so much S3, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was already behind at the line even with the splits as they are.

I understand what you are saying. This car requires deep concentration, I try not to muscle it. I try to be precise on corner entry to allow for all that wonderful grip to be unleashed on exit. My 3 sessions with this combo I averaged 70 laps. I find it mostly fun to drive now. Definitely harder to tame on RH tires. Almost did pouhon wide open, just a tiny tiny lift!

I understand what you are saying. This car requires deep concentration, I try not to muscle it. I try to be precise on corner entry to allow for all that wonderful grip to be unleashed on exit. My 3 sessions with this combo I averaged 70 laps. I find it mostly fun to drive now. Definitely harder to tame on RH tires. Almost did pouhon wide open, just a tiny tiny lift!
I've done it flat a few times, but never on a lap that matters!!! I've either died or lifted when the lap was actually good.

I had a couple more sessions but wasn't able to get near my best lap yet

1:21.057

Story time!
So late in that first session I had a really good lap that had to be binned because I'd inexplicably trimmed Radillion too tight and invalidated the lap, it was very annoying having minutes prior decided it wasn't worth trying to save the 2 hundredths nailing the run up Eau Rouge as it didn't make sense to waste a really good turn 1 so pointlessly. But what that run did do was tempt me with the 2 tenths I was missing in S2, and I had to go again.
So a couple hours before the F1 started I hopped back on and started trying to get a similar lap together, but I just couldn't piece one together at that same pace, having to go change oil after 90 minutes then spamming time trial entries trying to buy the correct wind direction again, out of frustration I gambled on a different direction and hooked up a MONSTER sector 2... only to drop 2 tenths in the last sector leaving me well and truly up on the old splits but still unsatisfied with the obvious time loss.
More attempts later and it had become clear that the magic sector 2 times were no longer luck based as they'd been previously, but they'd become execution based, including learning a couple new lines for consistent results but again ran out of power and had to get more oil.
This time I lucked into my preferred wind direction but at a higher magnitude, sector 1 was now locked in at "FAST" matching the previously crazy splits including a 30.050 which would never get challenged again, and finally I got a S2 together that hit the marks, made the speed and importantly GOT POUHON FLAT WHEN ON GOOD PACE! Hit sector 2 slightly behind the old lap but with a better run out of Stavelot meaning that just a clean Bus Stop would bring an end to my journey. Good enough is good enough.
I know there was a little time in S1, a couple of corners weren't 100% in S2 and the exit of bus stop wasn't my best, so there were probably another 2 tenths out there but with the Grand Prix well and truly over, making it Monday am my time, all I could do was save the replay and head to bed satisfied I'd found my missing time in S3.

Gotta say time trialling in GT7 is much more of a chore than GT6/GTS, the oil thing wasn't such a pain in GT6 as a new car didn't lose power for ages if you didn't do the oil change, while GTS just didn't have engine or oil degradation at all. This forced resetting every 90 minutes or so really highlights how much time you lose chasing wind direction wasting a few dozen resets to get back into a viable session, but once in and going it was fun being back in the groove chasing lap times trying to maximise potential, searching for "the lap" that'll get you to your goal. Probably only actually completed 20-25 laps but ran about 1000km across the 2 sessions.

Brilliant time. And story!

I did the Sport Mode TT around Inter Lagos yesterday (after the Gran Prix) to try and get below 1:24 (did so, just) and then thought I'd try and improve my time with this WRS TT. But after 15 minutes of going in and out trying to avoid a massive headwind or front crosswind down Kemmel I just gave up. It is really annoying that they didn't make the time trials wind-free, something they thankfully did do for the Sport Mode time trials.

Looking forward to seeing your total lap-time but have a feeling I know what the second number will be...

Brilliant time. And story!

I did the Sport Mode TT around Inter Lagos yesterday (after the Gran Prix) to try and get below 1:24 (did so, just) and then thought I'd try and improve my time with this WRS TT. But after 15 minutes of going in and out trying to avoid a massive headwind or front crosswind down Kemmel I just gave up. It is really annoying that they didn't make the time trials wind-free, something they thankfully did do for the Sport Mode time trials.

Looking forward to seeing your total lap-time but have a feeling I know what the second number will be...
There is a setting in lobbies for "equal conditions" like in the sport mode TTs where the wind is set to 0.
I haven't got a clue why we don't get to set the weather in TT mode or activate the 0 wind mode as an option.

As for the lap I'm just hoping those 2 missing tenths don't come back to annoy me, but in WRS they usually do.

Had another go, no improvement. Submitting with splits on the board.

Insane times at the front of the pack :eek: Early in the week I was happy with my effort now I'm just embarrassed to submit that lap haha!! ... but I will submit anyway and have a heart attack when the results appear, GT7 made me slow.. bring back the old games ffs this sucks :grumpy:

GL to all in the slaughtering .. I mean results :lol:👍

Well done to the winners.. Insane times!! :bowdown:

Sorry if my post yesterday seemed grumpy! it was meant in jest tbh but looking again today it looks a bit like my toys were thrown from the pram :P

Good job guys! :cheers:
As an Australian I read the previous message entirely as tongue in cheek, which has nothing at all to do with me making the exact same joke every time a new Gran Turismo comes out.
Always love your work mate.
Worth noting you and a couple others snuck time back in S3, so great effort nailing bus stop better than I could.

Last edited:
Back