GTP_WRS Week 30 : Low Speed Car, High Speed Ring

• Thread starter EDK
  • 56 comments

Had a few months out from GT but thought I'd have a go this week.
Did manage to go a bit faster than this but naffed up the last turn, i'm too rusty to offer any specific advice but balancing your turning angle with the throttle so as to not use more grip than the tyre has is important especially into the tunnel.
Also, not chucking it in to turn 3 just as you pull fully off the brake or you'll start a corner long drift as I did many times :D

1.6m/s 9 o' clock wind at Dawn time setting

Last edited:
Reactions: EDK
Getting there, the is with a 7 o'clock wind of 7.6 f/s. I definitely do not like 5 o clock wind, can't get the car slowed for turn 2. Seems like anything from 7-9 may be good.

Last edited:
1:05.152

I will on Monday submit the lap with these splits. Wind 2.5 m/s from the ENE, 4am slot. About 0.5 s better than my previous best over the line. Main changes were waiting longer before going onto throttle in turns two and three, and slightly smoother in the last corner.

1:05.669

Your tips helped me to improve my final sector and the laptime a lot. :cheers:
Indeed, in the final turn the high line is the best line - it works for me.
Need to work on the first braking.

Last edited:
Smooth braking technique needs work, but after many attempts I'm happy with my fastest, riskiest lap. Keeping it clean is again my nemesis. Great tips everyone!

From a lap where I didn't channel my inner Ross Chastain (though the body on this lap will show the Martinsville scrapes from previous laps), on a 7 am run with the wind out of the northeast (1:30 position) at 8.6 ft/s:

1:05.601

I found running just above the middle in turn 1, just inside the outside white line in turn 2 (with an exit fully above the white line) and a lane below the white line in the last turn worked best for me.

Wind is a main straight tail wind of around 12 FPS/ 3 meters p/s.

7 am time of day.

I started shifting at higher RPM. First day I ran I thought it slowed me. But more like 86 MPH and 124 MPH upshifts.

I've submitted my current best. I beat my adjusted goal, and feel good about the lap being both quick and easy to check.

I may run a banzai tomorrow, but that's not really when I usually go fast.

1:05.152

I will on Monday submit the lap with these splits. Wind 2.5 m/s from the ENE, 4am slot. About 0.5 s better than my previous best over the line. Main changes were waiting longer before going onto throttle in turns two and three, and slightly smoother in the last corner.
Okay, turns out I could find a bit more. 2.1 m/s wind from the ESE, 7am slot. About 0.4 s better over the line. High line through turn 2 was the main difference.

1:04.804

Wow, a stream of good results I see.
Will add one of my own.

1:05.080

Going through the esses seems to be problematic for me, but at least I got a decent drive on the exit before the tunnel which led to one of my best 3rd sector times, managed to keep spinning at bay through the final turn (keeping a high line close to the edge) and a good speed for last straight was the result.

Submitting. Not going to improve this, I don't think.

Thanks to those who participated, that was a close one. Vaxen let us know his next results post will be a week from today.

In the meantime, I've shared my reply with share tag gtpwrs030.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the post. I've been doing this fewer weeks than you have years, so it is great to hear your views.

Sorry to hear you hate the boring threads. From my point of view I mostly don't feel it is my place to give advice given I'm certainly not the fastest. But if people are interested in my experiences then I am more than happy to help. As it is I've put my hand up to help with admin, particularly with the results part so that participants can see event outcomes more quickly and see the link from outcome to impact on driving rating. It may not be important to everyone but it is to me as a measure of progress and I suspect it may be to others too. I also suspect it would get more people to take part if results come out quicker and the link from event to rating was more clear.

Back to this week, I've gone in and out to try and get good wind, but best I could get get was NE (pointing to 8 o' clock) at 2.7 or 2.8.

• I've been going high on the first and last corners, aiming to get back to the apex while minimising traction loss.
  • Turn 2 I've found braking earlier than you think is right helps getting through more smoothly. I brake just before the gap in the fence on the left.
  • Toughest part is the right left of turns 3 and 4; struggling to keep it smooth through there.
  • I shift up at even higher speed; 88 and 126 mph; around 6.5k rpm.
I hope hope hope this is not an intro to your leaving our beloved community dear Kevin because it just wouldn't be the same without you 😍🙋🏻

I hope hope hope this is not an intro to your leaving our beloved community dear Kevin because it just wouldn't be the same without you 😍🙋🏻
I'm not leaving for good, but I do not plan to be consistently active in WRS. This was a temporary diversion this week.

I would have liked this one, but don't have the car and don't know how to get it, I did look :)

From memory you buy it from Brand Central. As it is a GT thing, it is likely in the Japan part of the Japan/Korea section, under Gran Turismo as manufacturer.

Fun combo @EDK ! Was nice to do something other than the daily workout for a change :lol:

GTP_EDK
1668102269355.png

half_sourly
1668102299760.png

benjoi84
1668102323008.png

My lap was decent considering I lost half a tenth before the first braking zone, the wind made it hard to know how much I left on the table but I suspect 1-1.5 tenths.

Splits weren't on the LB, they were 36.726 / 27.392 / 26.218

From memory you buy it from Brand Central. As it is a GT thing, it is likely in the Japan part of the Japan/Korea section, under Gran Turismo as manufacturer.
Ignore me, I thought I was in this week's thread.

• Haha
Fun combo @EDK ! Was nice to do something other than the daily workout for a change :lol:

GTP_EDK View attachment 1207296
half_sourly View attachment 1207297
benjoi84 View attachment 1207298

My lap was decent considering I lost half a tenth before the first braking zone, the wind made it hard to know how much I left on the table but I suspect 1-1.5 tenths.

Splits weren't on the LB, they were 36.726 / 27.392 / 26.218

Thanks, Macca. That was a monster time you had, as always.

Back