GTPlanet 2018 Concept Car of the Year - Nomination thread

United States
Marin County
I don't believe (though I may be wrong) that we've ever done something like this, but I figured it might be fun. Design is basically my life (professionally and otherwise) so seeing the various concept cars throughout the year is one of my favorite parts of being a car enthusiast. Everyone post up a car they would like to nominate for the best concept car shown this year.

Rules:
-Must be a new concept introduced in calendar year 2018
-No production vehicles (I'd argue something like the GTR50 should count even though a production version has also been made/announced)
-Bold the name of the nomination in your post, so it's a little easier to track
-Try to include a link to a press release or at least an article about it
-Include a picture of course!

I would like to nominate Infiniti's Concept 10 which just blew me away this year. I'm cynical enough to realize that Infiniti will never build anything this cool, but I'm happy they gave us this beauty to look at.

infiniti-prototype10-4k-003-jpg-1535037876.jpg

With next-generation design and an elegant and refined style, Mazda VISION COUPE is our concept car that explores the potential and direction of future Mazda cars using our award-winning KODO Design philosophy.

03E787C7-E7D5-4EAB-B890-7A7EFB6C88E1.jpeg

Inspired by the beautiful proportions and heritage of the Mazda R360 Coupe and Luce Rotary Coupe as well as the sensuality of the RX-VISION, our designers created a classic coupe with flowing lines and a cabin set back towards the rear. The sporty silhouette expresses refinement and unmistakable elegance as well as the promise of an exciting, high-performance driving experience.

862BABC1-4705-4F3E-B114-096955E9FA3B.jpeg

The interior is just as special. Using the Japanese concept of ma in architecture, great attention was given to the spatial harmony between driver controls, doors and the centre console. Not only is the interior atmospheric, it flows as if in graceful motion. To create the powerful Jinba Ittai bond between car and driver, interaction with the controls feels intuitive. To call up information on the display, the driver just touches the console.

881C364D-CBAD-432C-A1DB-1E704F8C64EA.jpeg

Striking yet subtle, powerful and beautifully captivating, the VISION COUPE premiered at the Tokyo Motor Show and raises KODO Design to its most profound expression of motion yet.

With next-generation design and an elegant and refined style, Mazda VISION COUPE is our concept car that explores the potential and direction of future Mazda cars using our award-winning KODO Design philosophy.

View attachment 785888

Inspired by the beautiful proportions and heritage of the Mazda R360 Coupe and Luce Rotary Coupe as well as the sensuality of the RX-VISION, our designers created a classic coupe with flowing lines and a cabin set back towards the rear. The sporty silhouette expresses refinement and unmistakable elegance as well as the promise of an exciting, high-performance driving experience.

View attachment 785889

The interior is just as special. Using the Japanese concept of ma in architecture, great attention was given to the spatial harmony between driver controls, doors and the centre console. Not only is the interior atmospheric, it flows as if in graceful motion. To create the powerful Jinba Ittai bond between car and driver, interaction with the controls feels intuitive. To call up information on the display, the driver just touches the console.

View attachment 785890

Striking yet subtle, powerful and beautifully captivating, the VISION COUPE premiered at the Tokyo Motor Show and raises KODO Design to its most profound expression of motion yet.
Definitely gets my vote. One of the sexiest, classiest current concepts.

My nomination is for the GR Supra Racing Concept
IMG_6128.PNG

https://www.toyota.com/concept-vehicles/supra/gr-concept/

There's discussion about it in the thread below this one.
Anyone with access to GT6 and/or GT SPORT, can drive one of the earlier road and race concepts.
A highly anticipated rebirth of an iconic name, in an up to date racing concept, that the world can virtually drive.

My nomination would have to be the Audi e-tron Vision Gran Turismo
row03081.jpg

Like the Toyota above, it's a concept that can be driven. Quite quickly too. It of course demonstrated it's performance might at a street circuit in Rome where a Formula E race was taking place. Plus, it looks incredible. A perfect throwback to the IMSA spec Audi 90. This deserves to be a contender.

Since the Mazda isn't actually a 2018 concept

Hyundai Le Fil Rouge
upload_2018-12-6_21-25-40.png

upload_2018-12-6_21-25-49.png
upload_2018-12-6_21-25-56.png

As its name implies, ‘Le Fil Rouge’ (English translation: common thread) is a reflection of Hyundai’s belief that the brand’s past, present and future designs are all connected.

The new concept is an introduction to the brand’s latest approach in design: the ‘Sensuous Sportiness’ theme will be embodied by all future Hyundai vehicles, ranging from sedans to SUVs. The goal of this new theme is to bring instinctive beauty, creating emotional value and desirability in Hyundai vehicles. The design mission is defined by the harmony between four fundamental elements: proportion, architecture, styling and technology.

‘Le Fil Rouge’ creates a proportional character based on the golden-ratio – a common mathematical ratio found in nature – which enabled Hyundai designers to create an aesthetically pleasing, natural-looking composition that embodies charisma. Proportional uniqueness is achieved through a long wheel base, large wheels and short overhangs. A respectful dash-to-axle – the distance from front wheel center to base of windshield – provides a comfortable driving position, whilst a higher beltline completes the overall look.

With ‘Le Fil Rouge’, Hyundai took a new approach called ‘Light Architecture’, to integrate a progressive identity into the brand’s design heritage. Light Architecture generates a dynamic look and forward motion effect for the vehicle. The front and the rear pillars as well as the roof are seamlessly blended into the overarching silhouette of the car - as though the car is drawn with a single line.

The exterior and interior are smoothly merged by the ‘Tube Architecture’, keeping the exterior’s sensuous and sporty character consistent inside the vehicle. The Tube Architecture’s principle is to create the same emotional value inside and outside the vehicle, while also allowing for a lightweight profile.

The interior design differentiates between the needs of both the driver and passengers. The front passenger seat maximises comfort even on long-distance trips with more ample leg room, while the driver’s seat is designed to add to the fun on driving with optimised ergonomics. A wrap-around architecture emphasises depth, creating a calm, spacious and comfortable travel environment for everyone in the car.

Another goal of the team was to create a vehicle that is instantly recognisable as a Hyundai from a distance. This was achieved by creating a sensuous tension on the side through a harmonious blend of layered crisp lines and pure volumes. Concave and convex forms are carefully orchestrated to provide a sexy character. The concept’s distinctive ambience is also recognisable with a wide, layered front hood, combined with a further enhanced Cascading Grille. The next level of the Cascading Grille comes with a three-dimensional treatment, featuring parametric jewels inside, which gives the vehicle a commanding presence.

A core design principle for Hyundai designers was to create a design that enables a seamless experience of function. Inspired by aircraft ventilation, a two-way air ventilation system blows air over the curved surface of lightweight tube architecture. Revitalised wood and high-tech fabrics are used extensively throughout and sculpted into exquisite, sensuous forms. This evokes natural beauty with an emotional touch to add an airy feel to vehicle. Meanwhile, a panoramic floating display coupled with haptic technology sits in front of the driver, providing access to intuitive controls for climate control and other vehicle configurations.

I'll have to have a think, most I'm thinking of are actually 2017 not 18. Is it me or has there been a noticable drop in high profile concept cars this year?

Last edited:
I'll have to have a think, most I'm thinking of are actually 2017 not 18. Is it me or has there been a noticable drop in high profile concept cars this year?
I wouldn't say there's a noticeable drop, though given fewer manufacturers have attended motor shows this year it's inevitable there may not be as many.

Of the above though, the Honda, Subaru and Mazda are all cars unveiled before 2018.

My nomination - the Peugeot E-Legende. A modern three-box coupe taking inspiration from one of Peugeot's most elegant classics, the 504 Coupe. Electric power and a wonderfully-styled interior with probably the best ever use of velour for anything.

peugeot-e-legend-1809heme102-small.454368.17.jpg

peugeot-e-legend-1809heme103-small.454376.17.jpg

peugeot-e-legend-1809heme200-small.454389.17.jpg

peugeot-e-legend-1809heme201-small.454366.17.jpg

peugeot-e-legend-1809heme304-small.454394.17.jpg

peugeot-e-legend-1809heme311-small.454353.17.jpg

peugeot-e-legend-1809heme502-small.454383.17.jpg

peugeot-e-legend-1809heme604-small.454392.17.jpg

Gonna close this on Friday, 12/21 for nominations, so if anyone has any other suggestions post them up! Entrants so far are all strong contenders!

Rivian R1T

screen-shot-2018-11-26-at-9-38-52-am-1543243283.png

screen-shot-2018-11-26-at-9-39-36-am-1543243283.png

I can't nominate the Tesla Roadster because it debuted in mid-December 2017, so this is the next best thing.

An electric utility vehicle in the vein of Tesla, promising Tesla-like power and a 400 mile range (which is actually pretty reasonable considering the size of batteries you could fit in a truck). Plus, the concept is already functional, as you can see in that photo of it drifting in the dirt.

The Rivian R1T is a real, driveable concept of an idea that Tesla has only spoken about and not teased at all. Whereas other car manufacturers are targeting similar markets to what Tesla did on their debut - luxury cars - Rivian is instead going for an even hotter market. Luxury *trucks*, a market that is on fire in North America. They even put a tent on the back which is something every American and Canadian dreams of. Can you imagine having the freedom of charging up your truck at the trailhead, driving dozens of miles out into the wilderness, having all the power you could want to power your campsite, and maybe even charge your truck with portable solar panels while you're out hiking and taking Instagram photos? That's a helluva lifestyle, and the Rivian is a helluva lifestyle truck to compliment it. And because you love nature, you won't be using any fuel at all.

And because you love off-roading, you'll be able to do that with the magic of *electric* four wheel drive torque vectoring, something even a Gladiator Rubicon can't boast about. Who doesn't want that sort of capability?

This is the ultimate concept car of the year. Not only does it combine revolutionary technology, but it does so with a better future in mind, with more freedom and capability in mind, and the whole package is totally different than what other manufacturers are offering. This is by far the most unique, forward-thinking, and practical concept of the year.

Back