GTPlanet Guitarists; looking for a $100 generic acoustic guitar, to learn on and playMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Delirious
  • 4 comments
  • 321,761 views

Delirious

Meh
Premium
Messages
2,614
Messages
Metroider17
I'm pretty much a master at chords on my casio keyboard piano and I wanna try something new. I don't think I'll ever be in any type of concert or performance so I just want something that does the job ok.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-AJ-1-Acoustic-Guitar-518681-i1150109.gc

That's what I'm thinking, full size, gets the job done.

Any thoughts advice suggestions etc. for a considering acoustic guitar buyer? :)
 
Grab a learning book or a tutor...will be of great help. Also you should get steel strings because it will save u swapping in the long run.
 
I'd say get something a little higher level. Unless you think you may not like playing guitar and don't want to throw away the money, a guitar is a solid investment and the returns are unbelievably satisfying. My guitar was the best purchase of my life. Get something a little more upscale and not only because of sound, but also playability. Low-market guitars are hard to play, which is even more frustrating for someone learning, because you end up blaming yourself for not being able to play properly and not because the instrument itself is overly demanding.
 
I'd say get something a little higher level. Unless you think you may not like playing guitar and don't want to throw away the money, a guitar is a solid investment and the returns are unbelievably satisfying. My guitar was the best purchase of my life. Get something a little more upscale and not only because of sound, but also playability. Low-market guitars are hard to play, which is even more frustrating for someone learning, because you end up blaming yourself for not being able to play properly and not because the instrument itself is overly demanding.


Spot on.

Learning to play is not an easy thing.
Low budget guitars tend to have very poor action (the strings are a long way from the fretboard). Therefore requiring more pressure to fret the string effectively. Your hands are going to ache enough without that added
problem.

This coupled with the fret buzz( ARRGGH ) is more likely to make you put it in the corner and forget about it.

IMO Acoustic guitars are harder to play in general. The frets/fretboard tend to be larger.
 
I have an Epi Dr-100 and it's pretty good. I haven't played the jumbo, though so I can't really give advice as to the guitar..
 
Back