GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
1670859181217-png.1215191

GTPlanet Quick Drives: Ford Mustang Mach E GT

What is it?
The controversially named Ford Mustang Mach-E is an all-electric crossover SUV, styled to resemble the famous Ford Mustang pony car. It was introduced in mid-2021 in Ford's major markets, including the USA, Europe, and the UK.

What makes it go?
It's a battery-electric car, available with three power/range options and rear- or all-wheel drive. The car we've driven here is the range-topping GT, with a 480hp (359kW), dual-motor setup and all-wheel drive. There's also an 88kWh "extended range" battery pack as standard (which has since seen a software update to increase usable capacity to 91kWh), giving an on-paper 304-mile driving range. It's compatible with 150kW rapid chargers, though Ford's figures suggest it draws around 100kW on average, with a 10-80% charge taking 45 minutes.

1670859256041-png.1215193

What's it like to drive?
Pretty brisk. Despite a rather hefty 2.3-tonne weight -- so only just breaking through 200hp/tonne -- the AWD Mach-E springs to 60mph in under four seconds. It's certainly enough to worry most of its petrol-powered brethren; even the Mach 1 would struggle to keep up on that initial launch.

The rear-biased setup of the GT (only available on the GT Performance in the USA) makes it surprisingly fun to chuck about, up to a point, particularly in the "Untamed" driving mode with the sharper steering and throttle response.

You can definitely feel the MagneRide suspension working overtime to control body roll if you're making a lot of direction changes on a back road, while the big Brembo brakes - 19-inch/385mm discs all round - are up to the task, if a little digital at lower speeds. In terms of the general ride it deals with the nastier bits of the UK's pock-marked road surfaces pretty well even on those 20-inch wheels.

And on the inside?
This might be one of the weaker areas of the Mach-E. It's not the greatest cabin you can buy for the price, even though Ford touts it as being clad in the vegan-friendly "Ford Performance Sensico" fabric. The issue is that it's a rhapsody in grey; this is a range-topping performance model, and there's not a splash of colour anywhere - and the only hint is a "GT" emblem on the centre arm rest.

Technologically it's about what you'd expect, albeit with a very large, 15.5-inch, portrait-mounted touchscreen (and a neat floating dial) housing the latest version of Ford's SYNC system. It's a familiar, tried-and-tested system, although you can also use Apple CarPlay/Android Auto if you prefer. You also get wireless (Qi) phone charging, the usual suite of cameras, heated seats, dual-zone climate control, adaptive cruise, ambient lighting (paired to the driving modes), and a 10-inch digital dash screen.

Cabin room isn't poor but it's not spectacular either; legroom in the back is comparable to a particularly roomy C-segment hatchback, while the headroom is good enough for six-footers. That sharply plunging roof line means the boot is only just over 400 litres with the rear seats in place, but there's plenty of cabin storage and a 100-litre "frunk".

1670860504775-png.1215199

How much does it cost?
In the UK the Mach-E starts at £50,830, with this GT model in optional Grabber Blue coming in at £75,690. For the US market, the range begins at $46,895, and our GT would weigh in at $75,895.

What are the main rivals?
There's no shortage of alternatives, but probably the most cross-shopped would be the Tesla Model Y. Premium alternatives include the Audi Q4 e-tron and BMW iX3, but we'd also look at the Kia EV6 GT and - for a left-field choice - the Genesis GV60.

What's the verdict?
For car enthusiasts, the Mach-E does three things wrong: it's a BEV, it's a crossover, and it wears a badge they think it didn't earn.

However, for those who'll actually buy the car, it's a relatively engaging drive and a comfortable, spacious, and pretty handsome family car. We wouldn't say that, even in the hot GT form, it's the Mustang of battery-electric crossover SUVs - if only because every brand that makes one also makes it go this quickly - but then we're not sure what that would even be.

Either way, it does stand out in a sea of largely bland (or hideous) entries in the sector as a remarkably coherent design enhanced by some classic colours. The price is pretty steep for the GT though, and you get better range from the £15,000 cheaper Premium model without much of a performance penalty.

⭐⭐⭐⭐

In case anyone is wondering, yes, I'm bringing back regularly scheduled car reviews, in this new and slightly punchier format that will hopefully be easier to read and write.

I figured the Mach-E was a good place to start :D

Glad to see these back, always liked them. It would be good to see a back to back comparison with a car in gt7 and the real thing.

Gotta say, the Mach-E looks a lot more tasteful with that black grille.

I just can't get over how heavy these things are though. Even if it does drive well and has enough power to compensate that, it doesn't change the fact it's still very, very bloated. Not good news for UK roads, that's for sure.

I get it's a problem with batteries that can't exactly be avoided right now, but I really do await the day they manage to make them much lighter...

Last edited:
I do really like the Mach-E. My only real issue with it is its name, it's simply not a Mustang in any way. I'm not really sure why they decided to go with it.
I'd expect that to anyone for whom the name "Mustang" is meaningful, this does not live up to the name. For anyone else, they wouldn't really care if it had a different name.
I'd be curious to see what effect the name has on marketing this car, but I guess that would be hard to get proper data on.

Back