GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
1681908475495.png

GTPlanet Quick Drives: Genesis G80 Sport

What is it?
In the UK at least, that's a question you will be asked everywhere, by everyone if you drive one. Though a little more successful in the USA and its native South Korea, the Genesis brand is not so well-known here.

After a brief attempt to introduce the brand in the mid-00s, Genesis relaunched as a standalone marque only 18 months back. In essence it's a very high quality, sports premium sibling brand to Hyundai/Kia, and the G80 we're driving here is its largest non-SUV offering on European shores.

What makes it go?
This is the petrol-powered version of the G80, without a single volt to be found in the powertrain. It's an old-school - or at least, given the fancy direct/multi-port injection tech, recent-school - four-pot petrol turbo, driving the rear wheels only through an eight-speed automatic. Although other markets get a 3.5-litre V6 too, the 2.5-litre four is the only engine available here in the regular G80.

For that you get 300hp on the nose and 310lbft of torque. That's sufficient to match the mid-range offerings from major rivals, with 60mph coming up in six seconds and the routine 155mph top speed. On paper the G80 can achieve a combined 33mpg which, with the 14-gallon tank, is good for a 471-mile range.

1681908532428.png

What's it like to drive?
Although it bears the "Sport" name and Hyundai/Kia clearly knows how to make some fun cars, you'll need to bear in mind that the G80 is five metres long and weighs a passenger shy of two tonnes. This is an executive saloon at heart and, unless N-branch gets hold of one and goes full M/AMG/RS/F, it will always be so.

Nonetheless, the G80 isn't a bad steer. As you'd expect from an executive car (even one with a "Sport" moniker), the ride is largely excellent outwith some of our nastier road surfaces here in the UK where it can get a bit unsettled and crashy. Not much doesn't these days, but we'd put it a little step behind the E-Class in this regard, even with the G80's road-scanning tech adjusting the dampers to suit.

The steering is nicely weighted though, so when the going gets brisk it's surprisingly entertaining to drive especially if you slot it into Sport+ mode (and if you have them specified, the ergo seats adjust to suck you in). AWD is an option for the car, if you want the security of traction especially in winter, but in the RWD model the car is no less engaging than its key rivals. If we had a grumble it would probably be the gearbox calibration, which seems too eager to jump down one or two cogs when the engine's 1650-4000rpm peak torque band would make it more sensible to hold on - especially as the 2.5 itself can feel and sound a bit coarse at times.

And on the inside?
This is probably the G80's strength, carrying on the excellent work done by its sibling brands and elevating it to the top of the premium game. Room, toys, material quality and choices, and customisation options are really right up there.

Some of that does come in options packs, which look to be keyed to significant features. That digital dash is part of a £3,600 innovation pack alongside the HUD, the neat "ergo" seat feature is in a £2,000 comfort seat pack, the heated/vented seats and wireless phone charging are in a £4,000 executive pack, and so on. Still, price up an E300e or 530e to match it and the G80 comes off pretty well - and there's plenty of tech as standard, including all the safety gear and an 8-inch infotainment screen with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto integration. The Sport also gets a unique three-spoke steering wheel.

In general terms the cabin itself is a nice place to be - our car has the standard leather interior with no-cost option red stitching, adding the sporty splash of colour, and thankfully has the Genesis diamond-patterned trim rather than the carbon fibre - with comfortable seats and plenty of head- and leg-room on offer. While a saloon is somewhat limiting in terms of boot space and aperture, 424 litres isn't bad (if behind its rivals) and there's no end of cubbies in the passenger compartment.

1681908576925.png

How much does it cost?
The G80 range starts at £42,650, with Sport trims from £49,450. With the various options fitted, which includes the model-specific Cavendish Red paint and Type B 20-inch wheels, our car is a little pricier at £61,810. For the US market, the range begins at $49,500, and while there's not a direct equivalent, a model of similar specification would set you back in at $60,875.

What are the main rivals?
It's a mid-sized executive saloon car, so the key rivals - and the cars Genesis would be aiming for - are the standard German trio: Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Mercedes-Benz E Class. The similar Lexus ES also makes the list, with the Jaguar XF and Volvo S90 as slightly weirder options. Technically there's overlap with the entry level Maserati Ghibli too.

What's the verdict?
Cracking the Audi/BMW/Mercedes stranglehold of executive saloons is not easy. Genesis tried it before, with this car's direct predecessor, the Hyundai Genesis (or just "Genesis" here in the UK) and it... didn't go well. However with the Korean marques' general rise in quality across the board, the "posh Hyundai" perception won't do the brand any harm at all this time round, particularly as it has a much stronger identity of its own now.

The G80 matches the established order in many departments - and even exceeds them in others - and while the engine itself isn't much to write home about, neither are its rivals' 300hp, four-pot turbo petrol offerings. If Genesis can get customers into them (and out of the Volvo S90) it'll capture plenty of sales from drivers who fancy something a little different but no less competent.

⭐⭐⭐

Last edited:
What a cool gig you have, writing about cars like this! Also, what a beauty of a saloon. What makes them weigh so much? I noticed the G70 in GT7 can drive like a bit of a tank in the corners. Also, isn't the UK going petrol-free by 2030 or 2035? Quite surprised that there's no hybrid anything in it.

I will be purchasing the suv for my better half in 23, per her research and reviews.

Those wheels were kinda meh" factor for me as well reminds me of 00 era 20s phase asanti's..orca-image-2130665484.jpeg

My mother recently purchased the g70 awd, and I was impressed. Took a while to find the awd twin turbo, but worth the wait! Cannot really compare real world feel to the game, but they have come a long way! (not without full sim rig anyways, im not that invested..yet)
924.jpeg
923.jpeg926.jpeg
I AM HOPING to obtain my suv in the matte burgandy😎Screenshot_20221118_211532_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
What a cool gig you have, writing about cars like this! Also, what a beauty of a saloon. What makes them weigh so much? I noticed the G70 in GT7 can drive like a bit of a tank in the corners. Also, isn't the UK going petrol-free by 2030 or 2035? Quite surprised that there's no hybrid anything in it.
It's because it comes from The Land Of Confusion.

How's Genesis versus Lexus/Acura/Infiniti?
We've never had Acura in the UK, so I can't say. Infiniti withdrew from Europe a couple of years ago, but I did drive the Q70 - equivalent to this car - a few years back and the G80 rides better, handles better, and is much nicer inside (but doesn't have the forest-smelling air feature of the Q70).

It has been a very long time since the last time I drove a Lexus - and that was an RC and an NX - so I can't judge the current ES right now. The GV60 is a much nicer car than the NX was, but we're talking about maybe seven years ago and a lot may have changed on the Lexus front.

Back