GTPlanet, the real Gran Turismo forum

United States
Newport Beach, CA
TurismoSlayer
Is there a possibility that GTPlanet could eventually merge with the official Gran Turismo site as the go to forum for all that is Gran Turismo? The official Gran Turismo forum? (We already know who we are) I was curious when I read in the GT6 features list under the online section...

Community
Players can create their own clubs, communicate with one another in the forums and organise race events for their members. It is possible to select from a private racing club, and a public racing club that is open to everyone.

At first I thought they must be creating their own official forum, what's going to happen to GT Planet? Maybe they're just referring to the forums we already use and to continue as such. Even the logo they've chosen suggests a GT planet. Who knows. Thoughts?

So far as I know, Jordan isn't selling ;)

And really, that's the only way I'd see Sony ever being okay with such a thing; if they could own the forum. I mean that in no slight to them, but having an unofficial fan site serve as the main community forum could prove problematic for Sony. The rules may not be to their liking, and we also allow much more open/critical discussion here, not just about the GT series, but about many other things. The Opinions & Current Events section is proof positive of that.

Should such a thing come to pass, the first change would be elimination of the Forza subforums, in fact any subforum about any non-Sony product.

I think for a video game forum to be successful it needs to have some sort of abstraction from the actual game and it's leaders.

If Sony did buy GTPlanet, a lot of things would change. We get a lot of free speech on here.

Is there a possibility that GTPlanet could eventually merge with the official Gran Turismo site as the go to forum for all that is Gran Turismo? The official Gran Turismo forum? (We already know who we are) I was curious when I read in the GT6 features list under the online section...

GTPlanet, for many, is already the 'go-to' site for all that is Gran Turismo. And more. ;)

Community
Players can create their own clubs, communicate with one another in the forums and organise race events for their members. It is possible to select from a private racing club, and a public racing club that is open to everyone.

Already very much in place here - the possibilities seem endless - various modes, and levels, of communication between members, private leagues, lounges, secret meetings . . . VIPs . . .and the usual public lobbies - also used by teams, and so on and so forth; basically a central meeting spot for video-gaming racers, time trialers, etc, etc.. . .

And we get to talk in the pits afterwards - anything from religion to how to fry a burger.
There is a cure in there somewhere on how to battle whamnesia, too.

At first I thought they must be creating their own official forum, what's going to happen to GT Planet? Maybe they're just referring to the forums we already use and to continue as such. Even the logo they've chosen suggests a GT planet. Who knows. Thoughts?

If I was at Sony, I'd approach GTPlanet; not the other way around. Sony has always regarded GTPlanet as competition - not different from the way they view other GT Sites, or other GT Sites (and there are quite a few) view each other, and GTPlanet, as competition. All the sites want one thing - attention, and therefore activity - of a positive and marketable variety. The more attention a site gets, the more attention (via it's burgeoning membership) it can give; selling attention brings in the revenue vital to the survival of the site.
Many sites have fallen by the way - and I've watched it happen.
What's most unique about GTPlanet is Jordan's dedication to the site; a lack-lustre, or even worse, missing webmaster is death to any site. There are still many busy GT-exclusive sites out there that are busy, but none compete with GTPlanet for that particular USP; Jordan is unique to GTPlanet.
What if Sony asks Jordan to head up it's website? :)

Sony is worldwide - they have huge markets everywhere, attacking different countries and cultures in different ways; I would have to assume that their Japanese market is intensive, and unique in it's own way. The only use Sony would have for GTPlanet is to tap the aformentioned 'attention' for it's market and maybe even exercise some form of control over the opinions expressed throughout the western world . . . because . . . we all know when GT6 hits the consoles, GTPlanet will be a zoo. Even more so than any other site out there. Prepare for hordes.

I have a strong feeling GTPlanet staff are getting ready to hunker down in their nuclear bunkers. :D

I see everything oh so much more clearly now. Makes complete sense. Considering all the replies above, they're definitely referring the the forums in general. It must be humbling as well for Jordan that what he has created, PD recognizes our passion for the game and the impact our community has on them. Thank you GTPlanet and Polyphony Digital. :)

I have a strong feeling GTPlanet staff are getting ready to hunker down in their nuclear bunkers. :D

You've got it all wrong: we're not planning on hiding...

003_Ahahahaha_Scorpio_from_the_Simpsons.gif

@photonrider really does nail it, though; you can't fake a sense of community, nor can you force it. Jordan has fostered that here in a big way by doing what @Classic has said, and given users places to talk about things other than the game. I've witnessed first-hand what happens when a website restricts off-topic discussion completely; it happened at one of the biggest GT sites back in the early PS1/PS2 days. Folks here have met and become friends from across countries and continents; that doesn't happen at any old video game site ;)

Yes. Good info, but too impersonal.

What we have here is a community.
Not just that, but the overall quality of the individuals there is really low. In here, at least a basic level of grammar and spelling is policed not to mention the forums here evolve constantly and we have a leader that we can approach for questions. A lot of the posters in the official forums are clearly kids, or adults with the mindset of immature kids. Not to say there aren't mature kids out there, but it usually isn't the case. Someone from the official forums once added me to their FL in GT5P times asking me to "teach him how to drift". I told him I didn't have my wheel with me at the moment (was on a trip). He called me all names imaginable earning a swift trip to my ignore list. Other forums are worse, try the Resistance or Uncharted forums.

Not just that, but the overall quality of the individuals there is really low. In here, at least a basic level of grammar and spelling is policed not to mention the forums here evolve constantly and we have a leader that we can approach for questions. A lot of the posters in the official forums are clearly kids, or adults with the mindset of immature kids. Not to say there aren't mature kids out there, but it usually isn't the case. Someone from the official forums once added me to their FL in GT5P times asking me to "teach him how to drift". I told him I didn't have my wheel with me at the moment (was on a trip). He called me all names imaginable earning a swift trip to my ignore list. Other forums are worse, try the Resistance or Uncharted forums.
To each their own I guess. Sounds like that kid had quite a temper tantrum. Even with our own shortcomings aside, I feel very fortunate to have the freedoms and opportunities we have here on GTP.

Should such a thing come to pass, the first change would be elimination of the Forza subforums, in fact any subforum about any non-Sony product.

This was done for forza.

Jordan made Forza Planet and moved all Forza things over to it.

It wasn't popular, so he it was changed back to the one site.

This was done for forza.

Jordan made Forza Planet and moved all Forza things over to it.

It wasn't popular, so he it was changed back to the one site.
They also have Forzamotorsport.net which I believe is maintained by Microsoft and T10. I could be wrong.

Back