GTPlanet Tuning Community December 2014 Collaborative Tune Project

• Thread starter MrGrado
  • 19 comments
Australia
Australia
MrGrado
This idea is to develop a tune as far as it can be taken with many hands making light work. It might also be a good alternative to competition over the holiday period.

It will be a good opportunity to explore many ideas about optimising a tunes settings at one time. In the end, the top performing setup will prevail in a natural selection type of process.

Additionally, I propose selecting a known high performance model to work on (or at least something popular), with the end product ready by December 25, for the wider community to use for online racing.

Last edited:
I think this is a great idea man.
My suggestion would be, target something medium expencive. Like around 1mil to 1.5mil.
this would get into the higher performance area, make it worthwhile, but still keeping the price doable.
this also would make those helping be "more into it" as noone is going to spend a mil+ on something unless they plan to really concentrate on it.

Great idea man ^^

i think with this type of challenge per say. i think it would be good to work on difficult cars which by now have not been tuned like the lister storm, panoz esperante lm car, and the zonda lm car stuff like that

Have you ever tried someones tune and made adjustments to it and made it faster/better? This is the concept; to work cooperatively to build the ultimate tune. Getting speed out of the tune will be like squeezing water out of a sponge, you think you got it all but, by trying a bit harder, you can get a bit more out.

Testing. Tuning. Comparison. Explanation.

So lets say, for example we are tuning the Scuderia on sports soft at 570PP for Suzuka.

I reckon we want not more than four tuners working on tunes to start with.

After that, compare them and take the best one, or mold the best ones together.

After that, refine the tune or find areas to make improvements on that tune.

Meanwhile, if someone presents a completely new tune that out performs the current tune we're working on, we will adopt the new tune and work to refine and improve that. Although, lets say that in the final 12 days of the project, no new wild concepts will be explored, just refinement of the current tune. So "hey, why don't you guys set springs on min and dampers all on 1, it's way faster" or "just fit all engine mods and limit to 570PP, it's way faster", for example are things to explore in the first part of the project and not the final 12 days.

If more than four people want to get their teeth into this project right from the start, they could work on a tune that has a lot of testing of a particular setting. Maybe just ride height, maybe just transmission etc. So they might possibly find an adjustment that can be made to the version 1 tune to improve it.

I'm thinking of setting the track to Apricot Hill and let's go with a modern, premium (detailed interior) Ferrari. Exact car, tyres and PP yet to be decided.

Other than having a small number of tunes to work from initially and a period near the end that is exclusively for fine tuning, I don't wish to structure the creative process any more than necessary.

• I don't want anyone to claim one portion of the tune as theirs exclusively, like transmission for example. If someone wants to work on transmission, that's fine but someone else may see how to improve on their work or identify a completely different and superior (lower lap time) transmission.
  • I would like to see people posting setups and tweaks also involved with testing (at least driving other set ups).
  • I would like to see the people, that are mainly testing, get more involved with the tune than in a regular contest, so rather than simply "I think the springs are set higher than they should be" try something like "the springs felt too stiff, so I tried them 20% softer and then again at 45% softer and with softer springs the car felt better/worse and the tune was faster/slower by x.xxx"
Also keep in mind the tune should be progressing towards performance.

The way the tune develops could easily not match with how you (or anyone) expects the settings to look. Up/down, down/up or even ride heights... Hard compression, soft rebound or the other way around... etc.

Last edited:
Have you ever tried someones tune and made adjustments to it and made it faster/better? This is the concept; to work cooperatively to build the ultimate tune. Getting speed out of the tune will be like squeezing water out of a sponge, you think you got it all but, by trying a bit harder, you can get a bit more out.

Testing. Tuning. Comparison. Explanation.

So lets say, for example we are tuning the Scuderia on sports soft at 570PP for Suzuka.

I reckon we want not more than four tuners working on tunes to start with.

After that, compare them and take the best one, or mold the best ones together.

After that, refine the tune or find areas to make improvements on that tune.

Meanwhile, if someone presents a completely new tune that out performs the current tune we're working on, we will adopt the new tune and work to refine and improve that. Although, lets say that in the final 12 days of the project, no new wild concepts will be explored, just refinement of the current tune. So "hey, why don't you guys set springs on min and dampers all on 1, it's way faster" or "just fit all engine mods and limit to 570PP, it's way faster", for example are things to explore in the first part of the project and not the final 12 days.

If more than four people want to get their teeth into this project right from the start, they could work on a tune that has a lot of testing of a particular setting. Maybe just ride height, maybe just transmission etc. So they might possibly find an adjustment that can be made to the version 1 tune to improve it.

I'm thinking of setting the track to Apricot Hill and let's go with a modern, premium (detailed interior) Ferrari. Exact car, tyres and PP yet to be decided.

Other than having a small number of tunes to work from initially and a period near the end that is exclusively for fine tuning, I don't wish to structure the creative process any more than necessary.

• I don't want anyone to claim one portion of the tune as theirs exclusively, like transmission for example. If someone wants to work on transmission, that's fine but someone else may see how to improve on their work or identify a completely different and superior (lower lap time) transmission.
  • I would like to see people posting setups and tweaks also involved with testing.
  • I would like to see the people, that are mainly testing, get more involved with the tune than in a regular contest, so rather than simply "I think the springs are set higher than they should be" try something like "the springs felt too stiff, so I tried them 20% softer and then again at 45% softer and with softer springs the car felt better/worse and the tune was faster/slower by x.xxx"
Also keep in mind the tune should be progressing towards performance.

The way the tune develops could easily not match with how you (or anyone) expects the settings to look. Up/down, down/up or even ride heights... Hard compression, soft rebound or the other way around... etc.
Ok cool, I'm with you now 👍

I like the idea of small groups of tuners working together. Maybe even more than one group on separate cars. An example:

Three tuning the Ferrari 599 FR
Three tuning the GT-R Black Edition 4wd
Three tuning the Lotus Elise MR

Test drivers provide feedback and the three tuners collaborate on what to try next. What an excuse to get on the track for some shared testing with FITT members. This or something similar sounds like fun.

I like the idea of small groups of tuners working together. Maybe even more than one group on separate cars. An example:

Three tuning the Ferrari 599 FR
Three tuning the GT-R Black Edition 4wd
Three tuning the Lotus Elise MR

Test drivers provide feedback and the three tuners collaborate on what to try next. What an excuse to get on the track for some shared testing with FITT members. This or something similar sounds like fun.

Sounds like a great idea and would like to put myself forward as a test driver as i have plenty of time on my hands.
This should produce some really good tunes. stewy.:cheers:

Another suggestion.
Because ther will be a lot of butting heads on some settings, and tweaks that are situational, I suggest not 1 tune, but 3.
One set up specifically for Apricot Hill (pretty much all turns and severe turning track)
One set up specifically for Daytona type tracks (highest speed possible, long turns nothing drastic)
@ one set up for both. As in, Nurb, ect. The basic all around tune for anything.
3 makes sense, as theres 3 settings on our cars in game anyway.

I say this because, if I designed a car for Apricot only, I would do great on it, but I would red line on faster tracks as Apricot doesn't call for the juices of top gear very much.

I'm loving your idea so far man^^

To make it easier on people involved with the other events on currently, lets tune the RE Amemiya RX-7 on sports soft tyres for Grand Valley East.

If enough interest is shown, this can be expanded to include more tunes and to other cars.

I'd like to be test driver, this sounds like it could be real good at getting a tune just right for certain tracks and collaboration is what it's all about right :). I've done a couple of tunes but nothing like Praiano,Motor City Hami,CargoRatt and others :bowdown: I am learning from them all and getting better :D Thank you all :cheers:

Love this idea @MrGrado i would offer to help but in four days my play time is going to go to nearly zero till 2015. If I get some time I'll toss around a posted tune and give some feed back on it to help out but I can't make any promises.

Back