GTPlanet's "Best Car 2006" Vote For Finalists

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 16 comments
  • 1,856 views

Vote For "Best Car 2006"


  • Total voters
    19
  • Poll closed .

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
Messages
21,286
United States
GR-MI-USA
Messages
YSSMAN
Messages
YSSMAN
To all of those who have nominated, thanks for doing so. There was an incredibly wide variety of vehicles nominated, everything from the basic hatchback all the way up to some of the best sports cars in recent history. So like most of these "Best of" threads, please vote and explain accordingly. It helps keep things interesting.

---

Me? Well, I'm still taking the uphill route and going with the Saturn Aura once again. The importance of the car simply cannot be ignored here in America not only for the Brand, but for GM as a whole. So, to quote myself:

YSSMAN
Simply put, the Saturn Aura makes it as "Best Car 2006" in my book. There are indeed many reasons as to why:

- It creates the best compromise available for a German/American cross-breed, using extensive European styling and dynamics with a backdrop of American levels of space, ride, and comfort.

20091706-E.jpg


- Build quality is superb, far beyond the Saturns and other GM models of the past. If anything, the Saturn is a signal that shows where GM is headed, and it is indeed a great path. I found the material qualities to be top-notch in it's class, certainly not a dead-ringer for Lexus or BMW materials, but certainly a match for that of Toyota and Honda.

20091702-E.jpg


- The mechanical bits and pieces are also done quite well, and serve a purpose that matches the car's attitude quite well. Options include

* 3.5L 224 BHP OHV V6 with variable valve timing, and is available with the old, but reliable 4T45E automatic transmission
* 3.6L 252 BHP DOHC V6 with vaiable valve timing, as is available only with the new 6T70E automatic transmission

(a hybrid option is due next year)

2007.saturn.aura.20102618-E.jpg


The engines offer plenty of power, and most importantly, fuel economy numbers to rival that of the competition. Best of all, it is class leading power that makes the car a winner in my book, and the fact you can run both engines on regular gasoline is also a plus compared to premium-only Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.

07.saturn.aura.cc.500.jpg


- Did I mention that the car is safe? The car received Five-Star crash ratings from the NHTSA for both frontal and side-impact tests, certainly an added bonus with any car.

2007.saturn.aura.20102625-E.jpg


- And how about the pricing? The "standard" Aura XE with the 3.5L V6 starts at a rather-low $19,945, and comes with some great standard features. The up-level Aura XR starts at $23,945 and it too includes a lot of great standard equipment, some of which isn't available or is only optional on other competition.

07.saturn.aura.bdg.500.jpg

Hopefully that helps some of you make the right decisions...

EDIT: I have also extended the voting schedule for this round to four days instead of the normal three, that way we can get in those of you who usually try to vote the day after the thread is closed. Happy voting!
 
I voted the IS350
lexus-is250-is350-front.jpg


Aside from actually being fast, I think its a gorgeous car and I love how Toyota/Lexus puts stuff together. And while people are harping for not having a true manual, modern manumatic systems are pretty damn good substitutes in higher end cars. That, and I imagine Lexus will add a true manual once they see there is a demand for it.
 
I voted that BMW one :p


From,
Chris.
 
My vote goes to the Aura, but only by a narrow margin over the Solstice/Sky.
 
-> I voted for the Audi RS4 especially the Avant, I love the way it shapes, the practicality of the wagon (I am a wagon owner after all), and a excellent Quattro system (I've driven the S4). To me, its hands down the BEST of 2006.

2006 Audi RS4 Avant:

audi_RS4-Avant@2005_0001.jpg


(:
 
I voted for the RS4 even though I think the new TT should win or the 997 GT3.

No doubt the 335i will do well thanks to its engine, although it is very expensive car, and for the money the interior definetly could do with improving. Once the new C-class, audi A5 and audi A4 is out im sure that BMW's market share of the premium saloon sector will deminish drastically.
 
...How did I know that the Germans would pull an easy lead here?
 
VOTED.

Most all of them are German and Japanese.

EDIT: its now that I see the Kappas.
 
I decided the Aura, signaling Opel's retrun to America. as a Saturn.

That, and G.M.'s return to being a top-notch automaker.
 
997 GT3 for me although the RS4 and 335i were very close. I've just been reading about the 335 and GT3 in Evo and the GT3 sounds like it's the car I'd want most. High limits but playful near them and not that scary. For a 911. And it's stupidly fast.
 
That, and I imagine Lexus will add a true manual once they see there is a demand for it.
I'm sorry, you'll have to keep imagining, from what the big ups at Lexus tell us.
 
I'm sorry, you'll have to keep imagining, from what the big ups at Lexus tell us.

No manual? Whhaaa? The car is just begging for one. We had an IS250 AWD loaner and I was thinking the car would be truly great if it just had that pedal on the left.

attachment.php



M
 

Attachments

  • 100_1276.jpg
    100_1276.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 74
No manual? Whhaaa? The car is just begging for one. We had an IS250 AWD loaner and I was thinking the car would be truly great if it just had that pedal on the left.
Only on the IS 250 (2wd), will you get the stick; don't expect it on the IS 350 or the ISF, or whatever it's called.
 
It's the same in the last IS. No manual in the 300. One of the main reasons I bought a 3 series. What's the problem giving people the choice?

The IS300 did have a manual option later on it in its life. After the first few years it was around.
 
Don't think we got that option over here. Bit strage that though. Letting the US market have a manual option and not Europe. Unless it's something to do with right hand drive.
 
997 gt3 definitely, the RS4 avant and 3rd the Lexus.
 
Back