GTR Revival from Ian Bell with the original GTR2/SimBin crew announced

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 704 comments

That is really cool, I do hope it actually works as they are showing off. I do not like them patenting that, I hope that doesn't go through. This is a cool idea that needs to be iterated upon by any developer wishing to do so. Competition in the space will make everyone winners, I do not believe this is a feature that will make people buy one game over another, just enhances the experience within the game, and locking out other devs from it is detrimental.

love him or hate him, ian bell is a genius. Few are people who take big risks and try to reinvent the wheel. Innovation and creativity can be a hit or miss. A hit like pc1 and pc2 or a miss like pc3. Either way we need people like ian bell otherwise we will have the same games under different names, aka forza and gt.
Kaz and PD are also known for pushing the envelope. It's a shame that in the last few years, they went on a totally different path, which is "the real photography simulator"
I think genius is pushing it but I agree with the rest. He’s ambitious in a way nobody else is - these days you have Polyphony and Turn 10, and nobody else even bothers to match up to that. And you’re talking about two series in Forza and GT that IMO peaked in their fourth iterations over a decade ago and have become fairly formulaic and predictable since. So nobody is innovating or trying to push the genre forward, except Ian Bell and his team. So I really hope they pull it off.

Project CARS 2 was so nearly the perfect racing sandbox, held back by occasionally being a bit of a wonky game underneath all the ambition. An incredibly ambitious, deep, immersive experience with a 7/10 game underneath it all. So I have hope for this more than expectation because I think there’s a skill in not biting off more than you can chew and concentrating on actually making the underlying game as good as it can be rather than shouting from the rooftops about all your ambitious gimmicks. But if he wasn’t doing it, who else would be? Nobody.

Last edited:
This would be awesome if we could ask the engineer for more wing when doing a pit stop. Strategise what tyres just before pitting, for predicting inclement weather.

That was done with AngeTheGreat's engine simulator. Credit nowhere to be found, unless I'm missing something?
Why would they credit it here? It looks like an internal WIP video that Ian decided to share. If they are using his engine simulator, the license/copyright will appear somewhere in the game.

Why would they credit it here? It looks like an internal WIP video that Ian decided to share. If they are using his engine simulator, the license/copyright will appear somewhere in the game.
It's a permissive license too. Basically saying 'do whatever you want with it, but I am not liable for anything'. I use similar licenses on my own open source stuff and that means I really don't care what folks do with it (but also that they're on their own if they encounter bugs/etc.). If developers need more protections (=more restrictive license) they shouldn't use MIT, Apache, etc. licenses. Ian is smart enough to use what he can for free, but I'm quite sure he'd also hire/pay the dev for consultancy if they would need support on this specific library if that would be more efficient than forking/coding themselves.

Would love it if the race engineers on the radio called us idiots 🤣
"It's called a motor race Sesto, ok?" :P

Last edited:
Would love it if the race engineers on the radio called us idiots 🤣

It's a permissive license too. Basically saying 'do whatever you want with it, but I am not liable for anything'. I use similar licenses on my own open source stuff and that means I really don't care what folks do with it (but also that they're on their own if they encounter bugs/etc.). If developers need more protections (=more restrictive license) they shouldn't use MIT, Apache, etc. licenses. Ian is smart enough to use what he can for free, but I'm quite sure he'd also hire/pay the dev for consultancy if they would need support on this specific library if that would be more efficient than forking/coding themselves.

"It's called a motor race Sesto, ok?" :P
I wonder if there's a Günther Steiner mode - nah, it would be the only racing sim with an 18 rating :D

Some new updates from February on the Straight 4 website.
The engine sounds are pretty nice!

CARS, CARS, MOTORCARS! (PLEASE HELP!)

February came and went in a blur as game features from the Game Design Bible were brought into the light and mercilessly prodded for days on end. The result? Much of the sim has been signed-off on, and the dev’ team are now at work creating the studio’s next sim racer.

A large part of that discussion was spent on finalizing the cars that will ship with the game. (The tracks were confirmed relatively quickly, the title making them somewhat of a given.) The cars, though … well, that turned into a the usual, uhm, “discussion”! Everyone at the studio being a self-confessed gearhead and sim racer resulted in a rowdy discussion after the initial batch of cars were quickly agreed on (obvious choices for the sim that’s being built).

But after that, since every car will be created from scratch, the dev’ and brand teams were left with pretty much carte blanche. Not a good thing, as it turned out! If you think about it, motorsport has a preposterous number of cars and series that would be an absolute pleasure to recreate (and race), and suggestions ranged from 1970s Can Am monsters to 1960s Trans Am killers to 1930s Grand Prix legends. Once the dust settled, the studio was left with a small but racy list of cars and series that are on the cusp of either making it into the sim or ending up on the cutting-room floor. Problem is, no one seems to want to make the final decision!

So that’s where you come in, dear Newsletter reader. (Help…) If you have the time and inclination, you can head over to the website and vote on which motorsport series you’d most like to see in-game. Your guiding hand here would be really appreciated (i.e., please help!).
Put your votes in for a couple of racing series you'd like to appear in the game on HERE.
One seems an obvious choice to me and from the results others think the same. Which one's would you choose?

Some new updates from February on the Straight 4 website.
The engine sounds are pretty nice!

CARS, CARS, MOTORCARS! (PLEASE HELP!)

February came and went in a blur as game features from the Game Design Bible were brought into the light and mercilessly prodded for days on end. The result? Much of the sim has been signed-off on, and the dev’ team are now at work creating the studio’s next sim racer.

A large part of that discussion was spent on finalizing the cars that will ship with the game. (The tracks were confirmed relatively quickly, the title making them somewhat of a given.) The cars, though … well, that turned into a the usual, uhm, “discussion”! Everyone at the studio being a self-confessed gearhead and sim racer resulted in a rowdy discussion after the initial batch of cars were quickly agreed on (obvious choices for the sim that’s being built).

But after that, since every car will be created from scratch, the dev’ and brand teams were left with pretty much carte blanche. Not a good thing, as it turned out! If you think about it, motorsport has a preposterous number of cars and series that would be an absolute pleasure to recreate (and race), and suggestions ranged from 1970s Can Am monsters to 1960s Trans Am killers to 1930s Grand Prix legends. Once the dust settled, the studio was left with a small but racy list of cars and series that are on the cusp of either making it into the sim or ending up on the cutting-room floor. Problem is, no one seems to want to make the final decision!

So that’s where you come in, dear Newsletter reader. (Help…) If you have the time and inclination, you can head over to the website and vote on which motorsport series you’d most like to see in-game. Your guiding hand here would be really appreciated (i.e., please help!).
Put your votes in for a couple of racing series you'd like to appear in the game on HERE.
One seems an obvious choice to me and from the results others think the same. Which one's would you choose?
Got to be Late 90's British touring for me, absolutely awesome cars there. The other choice is moot for me as I don't really care for the other 3, but voted World Sportscars.

Got to be Late 90's British touring for me, absolutely awesome cars there. The other choice is moot for me as I don't really care for the other 3, but voted World Sportscars.
Same choices for me and for much the same reasons. The other two are a bit more limited in their car selections and scope. I suppose late 90's TCs are too. But TOCA, yes please. (Although the track choices will be relevant)

Same choices for me and for much the same reasons. The other two are a bit more limited in their car selections and scope. I suppose late 90's TCs are too. But TOCA, yes please. (Although the track choices will be relevant)
Yeah, I mean there's certainly at least 9 cars they can do for late 90's touring, maybe 11, depending on hour much of the late 90's they cover, if they did the whole '95-'99 period, it could look like this:

Renault Laguna
Honda Accord
Volvo S40
Volvo 850
Audi A4
Nissan Primera GT
Peugeot 406
Peugeot 405 Mi16
Ford Mondeo mk1
Ford Mondeo mk2
Alfa Romeo 156
Alfa Romeo 155
Vauxhall Vectra
Vauxhall Cavalier
BMW 318i
BMW 320i
Toyota Carina
Mazda 323f

You're right with the tracks as well, would need a good helping of British circuits, fortunately Ian Bell knows this and pCars 1, 2 and 3 had very healthy numbers from Britain, if he can use his name and history to his benefit then maybe we could get the all again. I think they were only missing Croft and Thruxton for the full set.

Historic TransAM and 1973 Sport Cars for me out of the selections available. Modern T/A series would be cool also. In free/quick race mode let us pick the A.I. line up. It would be interesting to have maybe open series mode where essentially would be free for all. Mixed classes but not divided by classes....similar powered groups of cars mixed together racing for the win.

It still shines if you treat it like a track day simulator
This was how I used it, and PC1 before it. And it was really good at it.

I hope the team can pull something off that will wow the crowds, but they should also understand the skepticism.

British touring cars and World Sportscars for me.

I have never understood why all the games forget about the super touring and the S2000 cars.

They don't need the BTCC/TOCA license, super touring was a category used by different championships around the world, like today's TCR, GT3 or GT4. Put a random livery and you avoid licenses issues.

Not a bad move, since Koch Media Plaion is a subsidiary of THQ Nordic Embracer Group (man that's a creepy sounding name) so there's definitely some money to be thrown around.

Last edited:
And also the results are in for the car survey.

Screenshot_2023-04-03-15-34-32-512.jpg

And now they are asking this about tracks.

Screenshot_2023-04-03-16-43-04-405.jpg

Click on either image to enlarge.

I'd love a game that has a more varied and unusual track selection. I know the big names attract people and tend to be a staple, but "driving" the same tracks in every racing game does get a bit monotonous. I'm not adverse to well constructed fictional tracks either.

Back