GTS Manufacturer Points Question

United States
United States
So I am new to sim racing been at it for about 4 months. I have started racing in the manufacturers races and have some questions on the inner workings with regard to points etc. MOD is this is not in the right place move away!

I placed top ten in two of the three last races and a disaster in Tokyo. Points seemed good for the two top ten 300 and 200 and change and deserved the 11 points i received for Tokyo. Now for Interlagos i qualified to find out i landed second in qualifying to Minecraftian person who is third in this hemisphere. My question is how did an S S driver who clearly outclassed me end up in my race and since I qualified 2nd and never lost a spot finishing so, did I end up with so many less points than I did n races where I finished 7th or 9th? Basically my best race was not counted out of the four. Does not seem to make sense to me.

Any help clarifying the structure or pointing me in the right direction to a thread here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
So I am new to sim racing been at it for about 4 months. I have started racing in the manufacturers races and have some questions on the inner workings with regard to points etc. MOD is this is not in the right place move away!

I placed top ten in two of the three last races and a disaster in Tokyo. Points seemed good for the two top ten 300 and 200 and change and deserved the 11 points i received for Tokyo. Now for Interlagos i qualified to find out i landed second in qualifying to Minecraftian person who is third in this hemisphere. My question is how did an S S driver who clearly outclassed me end up in my race and since I qualified 2nd and never lost a spot finishing so, did I end up with so many less points than I did n races where I finished 7th or 9th? Basically my best race was not counted out of the four. Does not seem to make sense to me.

Any help clarifying the structure or pointing me in the right direction to a thread here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

LOL I remember Minecraft talking about the terrible mismatch on that race... As for the points debacle I'm honestly not sure. I would assume that having an A+ driver in the lobby would increase points across the board so there's no reason why you should have received less :confused:
How the mismatch happened in the first place is another mystery altogether. If he lost SR in the prior race and you did as well then maybe it was based on SR ratings?

LOL I remember Minecraft talking about the terrible mismatch on that race... As for the points debacle I'm honestly not sure. I would assume that having an A+ driver in the lobby would increase points across the board so there's no reason why you should have received less :confused:
How the mismatch happened in the first place is another mystery altogether. If he lost SR in the prior race and you did as well then maybe it was based on SR ratings?
Thanks KONTRAone for the response! I noticed that that he only received about ten more points than me as well for the win. When i saw his name on the list I was like ok, so I have to race a GTS alien?? wtf and how is he in this race lol!! He was gone from me and I was gone from everyone else in the race it wasn't close between he and I and me and the rest it was so strange. When the points came in i was disappointed as i thought that should have given me a nice boost!!

You get points based on DR of the whole field. So that means sometimes when you finish 7th in a high ranked field you could gain a lot more than finishing 2nd if the field was not.

FIA event points are calculated as a proportion of the total Driver Rating of everyone in the lobby (or "strength of field"). If you have several people with poor DR scores, the points will be much lower than in a lobby with several people with good DR scores - and it should be noted that DR letter ratings don't necessarily correspond to the scores as you might expect.

The points are allocated at roughly 10% for 1st, 9.5% for 2nd, 9.0% for 3rd - descending by 0.5% (ish) each time down to 0 for last and DNFs.

It is thus easily possible to get less points for winning a race than for finishing 10th in a different race, depending on what the total of everyone's DR scores in each race is. I finished second in a lobby of mainly Cs and got 240pt, then won a race where everyone was D or E and got 29pt.

As for matchmaking, that's done by SR score. If yours is 99 (top of S), be prepared to be matched with almost anybody in the game, from DR E to DR A+.

Checking minecraftian's stats shows a recent drop in SR. I don't think it's possible to tell what the SR score was at the time of the race, but since OP mentioned the points for the race, it leads me to believe it was quite low.

Matchmaking uses SR ratings first to set up the races, so minecraftian was very likely in that race due to the SR.

Checking minecraftian's stats shows a recent drop in SR. I don't think it's possible to tell what the SR score was at the time of the race, but since OP mentioned the points for the race, it leads me to believe it was quite low.

Thanks for the response! Matchmaking uses SR ratings first to set up the races, so minecraftian was very likely in that race due to the SR.
Pretty sure it was A+ S for MineCraftian. Mine was D S

Matchmaking uses SR ratings first to set up the races, so minecraftian was very likely in that race due to the SR.
Thanks for the response! Learning everyday and glad I found this blog!

FIA event points are calculated as a proportion of the total Driver Rating of everyone in the lobby (or "strength of field"). If you have several people with poor DR scores, the points will be much lower than in a lobby with several people with good DR scores - and it should be noted that DR letter ratings don't necessarily correspond to the scores as you might expect.

The points are allocated at roughly 10% for 1st, 9.5% for 2nd, 9.0% for 3rd - descending by 0.5% (ish) each time down to 0 for last and DNFs.

It is thus easily possible to get less points for winning a race than for finishing 10th in a different race, depending on what the total of everyone's DR scores in each race is. I finished second in a lobby of mainly Cs and got 240pt, then won a race where everyone was D or E and got 29pt.

As for matchmaking, that's done by SR score. If yours is 99 (top of S), be prepared to be matched with almost anybody in the game, from DR E to DR A+.

Thanks for all that info! Seems a little wanky how they do it but it is what it is I am enjoying it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure it was A+ S for MineCraftian. Mine was D S
I'm nearly positive that minecraftian had a lower SR rating before that race. Stats show one day recently with SR at 86 and that would be the end of that day (not sure what time is used for end of day) so very likely even lower than 86 when the race started.

edit: Forgot to mention SR S is still a big range of the underlying value used for matchmaking, so the lower range of SR S will definitely cause someone to be in a different race than they normally would be.

Last edited:
I'm nearly positive that minecraftian had a lower SR rating before that race. Stats show one day recently with SR at 86 and that would be the end of that day (not sure what time is used for end of day) so very likely even lower than 86 when the race started.

edit: Forgot to mention SR S is still a big range of the underlying value used for matchmaking, so the lower range of SR S will definitely cause someone to be in a different race than they normally would be.

80-89 is a separate matchmaking range to 90-99, so thats what happened.

Copy and thank you. I need to look at those numbers and get a better grip on all of this.

80-89 is a separate matchmaking range to 90-99, so that's what happened.

Gotcha, after having some time to think about it I can see the need for lower matched drivers to get less points but that being said seems like Mincraftian was ripped off. Matching him against 20 D S drivers just didn't make sense. Thanks for the response!

Gotcha, after having some time to think about it I can see the need for lower matched drivers to get less points but that being said seems like Mincraftian was ripped off. Matching him against 20 D S drivers just didn't make sense. Thanks for the response!

OH, and he was definitely not happy about it... Luckily it was 2 of 4 races and he had other results to fall back on, but it definitely makes me wonder why SR takes total precedence over DR in matchmaking when it's such a volatile rating system to begin with...

OH, and he was definitely not happy about it... Luckily it was 2 of 4 races and he had other results to fall back on, but it definitely makes me wonder why SR takes total precedence over DR in matchmaking when it's such a volatile rating system to begin with...

I can see why when he is ranked 3rd and racing against me ranked 1200 does not seem to make a lot of sense no matter which way you spin it.

Hey Guys, where can I check my SR (points) ? And I raced in a manufactures series race yesterday, and got 17 points, next race, 3 laps in and I lost my internet connection, Will this effect me ?

Hey Guys, where can I check my SR (points) ? And I raced in a manufactures series race yesterday, and got 17 points, next race, 3 laps in and I lost my internet connection, Will this effect me ?

You can check your SR and DR scores here
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=search
If you were disconnected during a race then unfortunately you will score 0 FIA points for that round, unless you raced again in a later slot.

Thank you watto 79, lots of info there.
OK to ask 1 more question ?
How many points do you get for a green SR and how many do you lose for an orange one?

How many points do you get for a green SR and how many do you lose for an orange one?

No problem :)

SR ups and downs are a little more complicated. It varies by race and what actually causes the SR downs. You get smaller SR downs for a track limit infringement compared to a penalty for contact with another car for example.

@Sven Jurgens is the expert on the specifics of this subject.

PD has been messing with the values lately.

It used to be on average 0.4 SR per green SR up arrow with a boost kicking in if you're below 50 SR.
Below 50 SR you get a boost that ramps up from 100% at 50 SR to 250% at 1 SR.
The total SR per race is usually nr laps x nr sectors x 0.4

However lately PD has been reducing it a bit for race C.
Which is fine since 25SR for race C is way to much, it was possible in some combos to go from SR 1, to SR 99 in a single race!
(Tsukaba holds that record with 127 SR gained in a single race)

SR Down arrows were always -3 SR.
However in the last month or so PD has changed the no contact SR Down to -2 SR
(for pit wall contact and if you drive backwards for a bit and turn back around)
While the SR Down for contact has been increased to -10 SR, the same deduction as for time penalties.

You also lose 1 SR for contact where the other car gets the SR Down arrow (but not if they get a penalty)
This is pretty hard to see when that happens since you still get the SR up arrow and can't see if the other car got SR Down.
If neither gets SR Down for contact, neither loses SR.

No problem :)

SR ups and downs are a little more complicated. It varies by race and what actually causes the SR downs. You get smaller SR downs for a track limit infringement compared to a penalty for contact with another car for example.

@Sven Jurgens is the expert on the specifics of this subject.
Thanks watts, you d man

PD has been messing with the values lately.

It used to be on average 0.4 SR per green SR up arrow with a boost kicking in if you're below 50 SR.
Below 50 SR you get a boost that ramps up from 100% at 50 SR to 250% at 1 SR.
The total SR per race is usually nr laps x nr sectors x 0.4

However lately PD has been reducing it a bit for race C.
Which is fine since 25SR for race C is way to much, it was possible in some combos to go from SR 1, to SR 99 in a single race!
(Tsukaba holds that record with 127 SR gained in a single race)

SR Down arrows were always -3 SR.
However in the last month or so PD has changed the no contact SR Down to -2 SR
(for pit wall contact and if you drive backwards for a bit and turn back around)
While the SR Down for contact has been increased to -10 SR, the same deduction as for time penalties.

You also lose 1 SR for contact where the other car gets the SR Down arrow (but not if they get a penalty)
This is pretty hard to see when that happens since you still get the SR up arrow and can't see if the other car got SR Down.
If neither gets SR Down for contact, neither loses SR.
You’re genius thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back