GTS's biggest flaw

Is Gran Turismo Sport's biggest flaw, something Polyphony Digital nailed in every other iteration? For me that is the connection between man and machine. I have been playing GT since the day it broke onto the scene, 20 years ago. I have always played with a controller, d-pad and face buttons for steering, and x and [] for accelerating and braking and shoulder buttons for shifting. I won't even get into the bag of worms that is the elimination of pressure sensitive face buttons and having to relearn how to play all over again after so many years of playing the same way. I still can't believe we managed to master cars such as the GT500 Supra's and GT-R's in GT1 and the likes of the TVR Speed 12 in GT2 without any driver aids and no pressure sensitive buttons, talk about feathering the throttle. There just seems to be a huge disconnect between the driver and car in GT Sport, and I can't put my finger on it. There was always a learning curve from GT sequel to sequel, what with new physics engines and the like, but you always felt connected to the car like you were in control, which I always thought was amazing and a big part of what has made the Gran Turismo series great. GT Sport seems to have lost that. it's like the difference between driving my Evo and well basically any other car I have personally driven, everything feels detached. It does what you tell it to do, but it doesn't really feel like you're in control. Everything feels very "floaty" for lack of a better word. I don't know maybe it's just me.

I don't know. I've had less and less time feeling connected after GT4. I did have times in GT6, but it wasn't every, time in every car. In prior iterations of Gran Turismo, a whole lot of the time I relied on muscle memory. Like you, I used the x and square for brake/gas. I didn't like that they were less sensitive on the PS3 and now not at all.

I've been trying and failing to get used to L2 R2. I found out when they did the update this week that I could reprogram R1 for brake. That alone took seconds off lap times and got me closer to feeling in control.

Floaty and detatched are great descriptions. I think I'd also describe it like, I feel like I'm sitting on top of the car, not in it, and it has nothing to do with the view I'm using. Glad I'm not the only one going through this.

It has also occured to me that the game seems to have been designed for wheel users, and DS4 folks are an after thought. Oh well. Maybe I'll get used to it.

I think it feels a bit like a Mario kart game myself. So many aids that you can use, for instance the counter steering aid. its total rubbish and there is no such thing in real life. But I do realize that PD are going for the casual gamer market as well, and need to keep it simpler for them. unfortunately the long time fans of the series suffer due to the advantages that the unskilled can receive in the game . But you know, inclusiveness can be a good thing at time's when it's not consistently being rammed up your butt and into a wall. And this new update thing with the x and square button, I have been able to do this from day 1 of the release of the game , It was always there, Maybe people didn't know to go into their options/ controller / button configuration and change it as I don't think it was in the original manual, But if you have been playing racing games for a while then you should really have known that it was already there as just about every racing game lets you choose your accelerator and brake buttons

Believe me the first thing I did when I got the game was switch the control layout, knowing so many racing games have switched to the shoulder button layout. The issue is the lack of pressure sensitive face buttons. Try using the face buttons with no pressure sensitivity and no aids, besides abs. Obviously we did it with GT1 and GT2 and I think a big part of being able to do it then was the way it was programmed and obviously the physics model.

I switched the layout too, i tried to play with the shoulder buttons or the right stick but years and years of X and square .... are difficult to change.

GTS is the first GT for me where i need to use driving aids (tcs) more than in the previous chapters of the serie.

I miss the sensitive buttons...

IR

And iam off when somebody compared it whit Mario kart :scared:

ABS on weak and tcs when it needs to rest off and you have a very nice handling game (with controller, dont have experience with steering wheel)

Try the R32 Skyline with Sport soft tyres weight max down and about 500pk its very fun to drive with on the Nordschleife! Feels very realistic!

And yes i lapped the Nordschleife many times in real life with slow cars and some fast cars! The experience is great in GT Sport!

Back