Guide on drifting for newbies...

Hello again,

been reading all the posts here, only bits and pieces, and videos showing drifts... but anyone to actually tell us how it works? how it can be done?

I am a g25 owner and all I can do is initiate a drift... that is push the clutch while cornering... I am not even sure if this is how it is done...(?)

Can someone tell us how to do a drift? When to push what? How much gas, clutch or not? Do you countersteer IMMEDIATELY after going into the turn?

I've been trying for like 3 hours and couldn't even do a single drift.

So, I wonder for the shakes of all us newbies if someone can point out what's happening in simple steps? :D

Thanks in advance for your time spending time on doing this!

Come in to the corner slightly over speeding. Initiate doing a simple feint maneuver. That is using a weight transfer from a back and forth motion to get the back end to lose grip. Open up the throttle to make sure the back tires are spinning well setting up a proper angle, not to much that you spin out.

As the back starts to kick out, you need to give the car countersteer so you don't spin out. If you spin out before even getting the drift going, you are countering to slow. If you start to get a drift going and suddenly catch traction causing understeer, you are either countering to fast or not giving it enough throttle to keep the back end in order.

Now that you have got the car side ways, we will use steering inputs to control the line. In other words, the front wheels should always be steering where you want them to go and you should use throttle to control the amount of angle you have. Throttle control is the single most important characteristic of drifting. Remember when you are drifting to feel the wheel. The wheel will tell you a lot before you see it on the screen. If you react to the screen, you will be reacting to late.

Now that you have drifted through the corner you, you need to regain control. Begin by providing more counter steer to initiate the back end to start to come back in line. As you do this remove your foot from the throttle some. This will assist you in learning how to drift.

Once you have some experience you can practically do a full drift run without ever releasing your foot from the gas.

I hope that helps and was understandable.

Oddly I found it a lot easier to learn how to drift off road - the concept of oversteer comes a lot easier if you can get the back end moving, grab a little brake to get the back end out while turning into the corner (while travelling too fast) then counter steer in the "not enough, but not too little" grip zone.

Thanks Doriftos, I think I get it (in theory) I will try to find some time to try this later on and get back with the results... What car should I use? I tried the cappuccino tuned with n2 tires, but wasn't very good with it..

Hi there guy's I got a second hand g25 last weekend and just wondered how long it normally takes to get half decent with most cars when drifting with a wheel?

I can drift with a pad as some of you know but I'm new to a wheel with a console as this is my first, At the moment 1 week on I can drift ok with a suzuki Cap tunned, I get around 15k on eiger with N1's but now I'm starting to learn with n3's on cars like a viper and 350z, Mid engine cars I can not control yet lol but i'm sure it will come in time

I bought my wheel back in the days of GT4. When I made the switch, it took me 2-4 weeks of 8 hr days practicing to get a grip on it. :scared::crazy:

Yeah i definitely need help on drifting aswell
Am still on A Class and have not achieved Quick tune yet.
I own a Logitech Driving Force GT Wheel, i tried drifting but am spinning out hard and losing control =S
Could anyone give me step by step? for example accelerate/ brake etc etc

I know the theory behind drifting and can drift with a pad very well...but im useless with the wheel, i think im way way way to slow with the wheel and unable to modulate the throttle well enough.. Just need lots of practice and a better wheel stand as my table is useless

As I tell everyone, theres two key things to wheel.

1) You need to be pretty quick, don't be afraid to throw it around.
2) Go by what the wheel is telling you, not whats on the screen. Reacting to the screen will make everything happen way to late.

Can someone point me too a video where the guy driving uses correct amount of steering?
It seems to be my main problem.

I always manages to do one of these three things wrong.

* Too high entry speed = Understeer = Crash
* Too low entry speed = No drift = Sunday drive
* Too much correctional steering aka counter steering = Death dealing over steer..

I can get the car to drift most times, but I either loose it or crash it, and those few times i do make the car to go straight for half a second after the corner, it shoots of into the barrier, and thus doesn't count =/

Nice drifting.

What car is that? To my eyes it looked like the 599? I'm probably wrong though :P
In any case i find the 599 to be the best drift car i've tried yet. Still got plenty go try though. Thanks for the vid.

I think the underlying problem is that i start to correct when i visually see the car going too my into the corner. Recently I've been experimenting with releasing the steering wheel and grabbing it as it spins. It's starting to come together. Although high speed drifting is still too much for me atm :)

Yeah i definitely need help on drifting aswell
Am still on A Class and have not achieved Quick tune yet.
I own a Logitech Driving Force GT Wheel, i tried drifting but am spinning out hard and losing control =S
Could anyone give me step by step? for example accelerate/ brake etc etc

I'm a total noob but this has helped me in the last few days.

Start correcting *before* you spin out. Like when it seems you have no sideways momentum left, you need to counter steer or you will over steer into the barrier 0.25 sec later. Just releasing the wheel letting it spin grabbing it as you see fit. I'm by no means good at this but I've had some luck with it, so it defiantly works. It just takes practice.

Secondly, especially with a car with 400+ rwd hp you can't just mash the throttle every chance you get, if you turn sharply enough you wont need to mash it, but if you do you will *probably* spin out, at least if you are a beginner. Either that or counter steer with cat like reflexes :P

A lot of yapping for a noob, i know, but these tips works for me.

Hello again,

been reading all the posts here, only bits and pieces, and videos showing drifts... but anyone to actually tell us how it works? how it can be done?

I am a g25 owner and all I can do is initiate a drift... that is push the clutch while cornering... I am not even sure if this is how it is done...(?)

Can someone tell us how to do a drift? When to push what? How much gas, clutch or not? Do you countersteer IMMEDIATELY after going into the turn?

I've been trying for like 3 hours and couldn't even do a single drift.

So, I wonder for the shakes of all us newbies if someone can point out what's happening in simple steps? :D

Thanks in advance for your time spending time on doing this!

Acticzap did a good job of explaining it, but I'll try explaining it myself as I've taught some of my friends how to drift.

First of all is to know why a drift happens. Its sorta dodgy, but here goes. I doubt engineering boffins will like this.

Ok - you know how its harder to push a fridge (or any heavy object) at standstill to get it moving than to keep it moving right? This is called static friction. Go ahead - test it even on a chair - you have to use slightly more force to start moving the chair than to keep it moving at constant rate.

This is sort of applied to the tires of a car. I'm not sure if the term static friction is applied, but when the tires are rotating and there's no loss of friction with the moving road, they have more grip than if the tires are skidding. This is why in a car if you get understeer, you have to slow down to a slower speed of the one you were at just before getting understeer. I suppose an even more common and easier to understand example is that you don't stop very fast nor turn very well if you lock up the wheels while braking in comparison to a car that doesn't lock up the wheels, yet still applies considerable brake force. Cars are fitted with launch control systems so a minimum amount of traction is lost when doing a standstill full throttle acceleration. This means less power is applied but more grip and a result with more acceleration, as opposed to someone pulling number 11sies. This all comes back to the idea that the skidding doesn't have the same grip - like the fridge moving across the floor being less than if it were at standstill.

What does all that have to do with drifting?

What have we determined in the above paragraph? We've determined that skidding gives us less grip than not skidding (down to some form of static friction). This is how a car drifts.

An FR car (as an example) as power only going to the back wheels. So by changing the speed of the back wheels when (only slightly) changing the speed of the car (or in otherwords "lighting them up") can change the amount of grip the back end has - as the faster the back wheels are going in a skid, the less grip. This is where the term "steering with the rear wheels" came in - because by changing the wheel speed changes the amount of grip and therefore changes the amount of movement the car has because of the constant force of the car going sideways.

So. Summing up so far - the throttle changes the levels of grip in the back tires, and because the back tires have less grip than the front (when they are skidding), the back wants to swing out like a pendulum from the front in a corner because of the forces involved - and it wants to swing out more when theres less grip, or more throttle.

Ok - so what has to be done now is to stop the back from overtaking the front. There are two ways to do this.

A) Is to reduce throttle, but this will increase forward motion (because the wheels are gainging more grip as they get slower - pushing you forward rather than sideward). Sometimes you want this. Usually in the entry and mid corner. Usually you want full power on the exit so you drift to the outside of the corner and gain maximum slide distance and points.

B) To "dial in some opposite lock" so to speak, or try to correct the direction using the steering wheel. It really down to practice to get it coming all together and people have drifting styles just as diverse as driving styles. All I can say is that it takes gentle inputs to get it right. You have to modulate both the throttle and the steering constantly in order to keep balance - it is intuitive to some and not to others.

Ok - as for tips - heres is what you're going to need:

An FR car - (yes you can drift MR, RR and AWD as well, but this is best for beginers). The best I think for drifting are the IS-F, the Fezza California and the SL55 AMG. What do these have in common? Auto boxes, which means you can change gear while in the middle of a slide and still keep the power down. Tires (for starters - not all the time) on N2s, all aids off (except ABS) and in MANUAL. For a learner, you don't need to up the power.

Daytona.

Ok - so go to that big concrete slab on the other side of the oval from the start line - this is you're new play ground. Here, you can experiment with throwing weight around. If you throw the weight around, you'll find the car wanting to spin out because of the suddenly bigger force acting on one side of the car. When you feel the weight changing sides of the car (left and right, not front and back) then apply some more power so the back wheels start skidding. If theres enough force, it'll turn into a proper drift needing you to counter steer. Try and hold the car in a slide by countersteering, and then also try slightly reducing/increasing power to get a feel for what it does to the back wheels. Its this holding the car in a slide that is a drift.
Another way of starting a drift is to turn into the corner and pulling the handbrake. This sudden lack of grip at the back shoots the rear of the car out - but you've got to be fast to catch it - so I'd start off by throwing the weight of the car around.

Practice practice pracitce. I see you have a G25. Skilled drifters are amazing with wheels, but for a starter I'd suggest putting it down for a controller - just to gauge a feel for whats going on. After you learn the basics, move over to a wheel and try replicate what you were doing with a controller.

Start slow, get faster. For a starter car, I'd suggest a good ol' honest 350Z, or an M3. Both balanced FR cars and great for learning and experienced drifters alike.

Good luck 👍

Last edited:
nice drifting.

What car is that? To my eyes it looked like the 599? I'm probably wrong though :P
in any case i find the 599 to be the best drift car i've tried yet. Still got plenty go try though. Thanks for the vid.

I think the underlying problem is that i start to correct when i visually see the car going too my into the corner. Recently i've been experimenting with releasing the steering wheel and grabbing it as it spins. It's starting to come together. Although high speed drifting is still too much for me atm :)

f430.

I have recently gone from a sixaxis drifter to a G25 drifter.

my best advice is learn in the cap tunned on N1's to get used to how you countersteer throttle etc (it doesnt matter if you can powerslide/hold a drift in a real car it still takes practice on a G25) then move to a 350z on N3's then to an M3 on N3's and then a 599 on N3's, thats what I have done and now I'm good enough to make friends :crazy: although i'm not at the banzai 6axis level yet.

I learnt the tracks in this order eiger,HSR,suz and I went on drift trial and drove backwards so I could use my car set up and have as many laps as I wanted, each time I spun I then drove the other way.

Doriftos?...

I still dont get it... I want to learn drifting but as soon as I start TRYING to drift, I get so upset that I leave it and keep thinking it the rest of the day. :/

What exactly do you mean by 'respond to the wheel'? What should I expect from the wheel to do?

I suppose there's no difference (besides customizing) when selecting drift and time trial right? I select time trial so that I don't have to keep restarting. I hope doing so doesn't affect my drifting skills :P

Sorry for taking too long to respond, not enough time lately...

The wheels have force feedback. The force feedback is telling you exactly what the car is doing, whether it be starting to understeer or starting to oversteer from your sweet spot. It's hard to explain, but the wheel is telling you what to do. I guess if you've ever gotten a car sideways in real life you'd understand what I was saying.

I haven't :) If we were talking about a motorcycle I would know everything... I own an Opel Corsa though, not capable of sideways stuff :D

If you can tip any more, you or anyone else, I'd be really glad!

I haven't :) If we were talking about a motorcycle I would know everything... I own an Opel Corsa though, not capable of sideways stuff :D

If you can tip any more, you or anyone else, I'd be really glad!

I to own a motorbike, never had a car of my own. I've cracked drifting on G25 though, what artic means is the way the wheel pushes and pulls. For example, go into a corner normally, not drifting, then stamp on the throttle hard and release the wheel. In a powerful enough RWD car, you'll see the car starts to slide and then the wheel naturally puts on opposite lock. Your job is to catch the wheel and balance the throttle before the car goes to far, don't just jam the gas into the floor, that will make it more difficult. It takes time, sometimes alot of it, but eventually you'll begin to find the cars balance point, the point at which it holds a slide nicely without snapping out of it, or spinning around. It comes naturally from repeating it, trying using more or less throttle, more or less steering and so on, there's no magic formula to hold a slide it just comes naturally once you learn not to have maximum throttle and not try to go maximum lock on the steering.

if you overcorrect when trying to catch a drift, you'll go flying into the barrier. If you dont countersteer enough, you spin out. Finding the balance takes some practise and I would advice using a wheel with force feedback because it can really help. When you have got the hang of drifting, it is one on of the most fun aspects of the game. I personally use the RX7 to drift.

it took me a month and thousands of retry to learn it.
got frustrated, then went back, frustrated then went back, then there is a breakthrough, then frustrated then went back.

practice until you reach a certain driving hours and discover something when your skill levels up.

the setup(quick tune) is also as good as your driving, so you must finish Class A first and look for setups in the internet.

It's sorta like a RPG video game, you have to log in the hours and experience before you can level up.

Past experiences and knowledge will help you level up faster, but don't expect an overnight miracle.

You may not be able to see an improvement with each lap, but you will see it every few days or weeks.

Personally, I was frustrated because I didn't immediately catch on when I loved drifting so much, but after putting in my time, I saw that it all eventually works out.

Just keep at it if it's something you really enjoy doing.

Hi I'm using a Pad and I can get the car sideways maintain my line just fine my problem is snap back the car snaps right back at the end of my drift and I totaly lose it. any suggestions?

Hi I'm using a Pad and I can get the car sideways maintain my line just fine my problem is snap back the car snaps right back at the end of my drift and I totaly lose it. any suggestions?

Throttle control...It takes coordination between throttle and steering...I'm not the suspension guru although I use my own tunes which work well for my own personal use,but maybe your suspension could worked with..To tell you honestly maybe you should just slap some N3's and take off all driving aids (tcs asm etc) and up the power a lil bit...Learn to drift that way before even touching your suspension settings...Find me online DarkStal2 the "L" is lowercase before the 2.I drift with a couple guys that have been in it for a while I'm sure we could make some time to help you out..Happy drifting!

Okay, I know I'm new here but I've been racing Gran Turismo for years. I've had GT5P for a year or two. When I bought it I thought, "Oh sweet drifting!!" It turned out I sucked. I also couldn't pass all the campaign races either. So I kinda got bored with me not being very good at this game and looked for another. I bought DiRT 2 and mastered it. I could hold drifts like nobody's business. I came back to GT5P and was surprised at how much my racing and drifting skills had improved.

So what I think is that if you think you're a noob at drifting, go out and buy/rent/bum-off-a-friend DiRT 2 and master the art of car control off-road. Feeling and knowing how the car reacts is much more important than knowing the correct entry speed or the perfect tune. So stop worrying about suspension settings and focus on dynamics.

So in conclusion, learn car control off-road before you try it on the tarmac.

Back