GuitarsMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter DQuaN
  • 25 comments
  • 1,272 views

DQuaN

Goat of the Year
Premium
Messages
12,299
United Kingdom
Ealing-London
In a recent thread someone asked what strings everyone used. I would be quite interested in what guitar(s) everyone has. I have a spanish guitar, a Yamaha 12 string acoustic, a Honer (copy of a les paul) and a westfield.

So, what do you guys have
 
A Tiesco Del Ray Electric. it's a sort of hollow body midget 335 with single coil pickups and a Bigsby style trem. I use whatever lite gauge strings are cheapest on it. Currently a set of Peavey strings have found a home there.

My "baby" is an Alverez model 5013 from around 1980. It's been modified with a set of strap locks, gold Ping tuning machines, and brass bridge pins (makes it a lot louder). She wears the best strings I can get cheap at www.musiciansfriend.com. Though my favorite is the Fender Custom lights .012-.052 gauge. Currently my third favorite string resides there. A set of Dean Markeley's. My second fave is DR brand strings. But they are hard to find around here and Musician's friend doesn't carry them.
 
I've had a Ibanez Joe Satriani JS100 for about 10 years now. Basswood body, maple neck with rosewood fretboard. Transparent red. The usual Floyd Rose type hardware. Nice guitar. Warm sound. Very vocal.

I also have a Ovation Celebrity Deluxe... forget what model number CS257 or something, but its a beautiful deep bowl cutaway with a Ruby Redburst spruce top and those signature multi-sound holes. Too bad it looks far better than it plays or sounds... but I didn't want to pay top dollar for an Adamas.

Still have a 16 year old 80 watt Peavy Reverb amp... kind of a POS, but hey.. my playing is not so great that I want everyone in the neighborhood to hear me. :P


M
 
I have an admira VIRTUOSO guitar from Spain. Not the best make in the world but a lovely sound.

Top: Solid Cedar
Sides and Back: Rosewood
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Machine Head: Gold Plated
 
I have a Fender MIM Stratocaster in black as my electric guitar, usually my cousin's Telecaster finds it's way into my hands and doesn't want to leave it. It's played through a ZOOM 707II Effects pedal to a 1982 Fender Harvard Reverb 2 amp. It's a nice amp, 50 watts, and I haven't been playing that long. For my acoustic guitar it's a low end Fender acoustic, a DG-11E, it's a completely laminated guitar but it has a nice sound. It sounds alright plugged in too which is fun.
 
Ibanez JTK1 Jetking. It's very nice and has coil tappers, which is the main reason I bought it.
 
Jackson PS4 and a Takamine EG540C, it is an acoutsic/electric w/ a cutaway. I have the pickups out of my brother's Wolfgang that I want to put in my Jackson, but I am now looking into buying a new guitar.
 
I have had a quite a few guitars, some stolen, some traded and some sold. I currently have the following.

1.Standard American Stratocaster
2. Ibanez 540 Custom
3. Kramer Barreta Custom
4. Danelectro Barritone
5. Peavey Wolfgang Special Custom Deluxe (Not here yet)
6. Ernie Ball Music Man Eddie Van Halen Model (Main axe)
 
Jackson King V in Violet.
and a Samick something or other, looks like a fender. POS guitar.
 
Solid Lifters
I have had a quite a few guitars, some stolen, some traded and some sold. I currently have the following.

1.Standard American Stratocaster
2. Ibanez 540 Custom
3. Kramer Barreta Custom
4. Danelectro Barritone
5. Peavey Wolfgang Special Custom Deluxe (Not here yet)
6. Ernie Ball Music Man Eddie Van Halen Model (Main axe)

Nice collection Solid.
Aren't guitars #5 and #6 virtually the same?
I recall reading somewhere that EVH switched "allegiances" because Music Man wasn't making the guitars fast enough, with a back log time of a year.
 
Crappy broken Epiphone electric.
Yamaha acoustic.


Been wanting to get an ibanez but it'll be a while. I can't play loud in my current apartment anyway.
 
Well, I currently have owned..4 guitars.

1. Some crappy grade-school reject classical acoustic, which I put all steel strings on.
2. Squier Stratocaster. The laquer's rubbed off the back and the frets are literally square. I played it a lot.
3. Martin 12 string acoustic. Sounds like a dream. Technically, this one is my dad's, but I play it more.
4. My pride and joy - Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport. Transparent gold, maple neck, the absolute best guitar I have ever played.

As for amps, I've had 3.

1. Fender Frontman 15G - the first amp I had. Nice little practice amp with great tone.
2. Peavey Rage 158 - Was given for free when I blew my 15G a while back. Sometimes it makes really loud weird noises, but it worked for the situation I was in. The 15G had been in the repair shop being "worked on" for arounf 3 months when I got this. Eventually, the shop just gave me a new 15G.
3. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - 40 watts of pure tube power! Although this amp isn't as gain-y as I'd like it to be (That's what pedals are for), it's got amazing clean tones and nice crunch in the overdrive.

[/speil]
 
Silvertone RockIt 21 SG.
I Suck at guitar though.
 
Gil
Nice collection Solid.
Aren't guitars #5 and #6 virtually the same?
I recall reading somewhere that EVH switched "allegiances" because Music Man wasn't making the guitars fast enough, with a back log time of a year.

Bah. That's because Music Man doesn't mass-produce their guitars.
 
Thanks. Yes, very similar, but with some differences. The Peavey had more of a "honk" to hit, while the EB has more "fat and bright" sound, but these are very fine distictions. The necks are similar, but the neck on the Wolfgang is more bulky, and heavier which gives it a more solidbody "rock gutitar" sound.

So, why do I have both? Well, the Wolfgang isn't here yet, but the EB is getting way to old an worn out. It needs a lot of work, and I fear it could be damaged, or stolen, if I send it out for repairs, Since I like the Wolfgangs, I decided just to buy one istead of getting the EB fixed.

Edit: Crap, I forgot about your other question. Eddie didn't like the way things were going with EB. It's true, EB just wasn't capable of meeting demands, or quality of product. I had a lot of problems with my EBMMEVH when I bought it, and Eddie got sick and tired of hearing the complaints. When Ed puts his name on a product, it had better be up to snuff.

There were rumors that Ed was going to leave Peavey for Charvel, which is owned by Fender. But, nothing so far has come about of these rumors.
 
i just recently bought my first bass as many of you might remember from a thread asking advice...i got an ibanez gsr 100 in black...god never buy another black guitar again, gets dirty way to easily
 
The guitar I'm waiting for.
 
i just recently bought my first bass as many of you might remember from a thread asking advice...i got an ibanez gsr 100 in black...god never buy another black guitar again, gets dirty way to easily

I know how you feel, both my electric and acoustics are black. I have a really nice cloth that I use to wipe them with and it takes out all the fingerprints.

Oh yeah, nice guitar there, Solid Lifters.
 

Attachments

  • acoustic.jpg
    acoustic.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 15
  • equip_01.jpg
    equip_01.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 14
I have a wee little Fransiscan that I bought cheap from a friend.

I have yet to learn how to play.

WEEEEE
 
Well, I just bought a guitar from one of my friends. It is a Squier Affinity Fat Strat (humbucker and two single coils). It's a piece, but I only gave him $30. The only reason I wanted it is because I want to try and recreate Eddie's black and white striped guitar from Van Halen I. I just ordered the black pickguard today and I'll probably buy a Seymour Duncan PAF to put in it. But the guitar will be mainly for show though as it is still a Squier.
 
Solid Lifters
The guitar I'm waiting for.

Hm, almost the same guitar Eddie played at the concert I went to...His Floyd was black though, I think.

By the way - EBMM not quality?! Bull. Or have I just not owned mine long enough to find the bugs..?
 
Ryan
Hm, almost the same guitar Eddie played at the concert I went to...His Floyd was black though, I think.

By the way - EBMM not quality?! Bull. Or have I just not owned mine long enough to find the bugs..?
What year is yours? And yes, they had lots of bugs. It's understandable, but not tolerated. That's the main reason why Ed went to Peavey.

If it's a new "Axis" then you shouldn't worry. They make'm to high standards.
 
Yeah, it's a new Axis Super Sport. New either this year or last year.
 
I have a washburn acoustic and a Rodriguez classical guitar(can be plugged!).I love them!
 
Back