"Gun Grey Metallic" R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R NISMO

• Thread starter Painless
  • 14 comments
Latvia
Latvia
Can someone please explain me why the "Gun Grey Metallic" color for R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R NISMO, or any other R32 Skyline in that color looks and is green? Did the developers got wrong "Gun Grey", were colorblind or is it an easter-egg? Any explanation?

When complaining about colours it helps to add a photo so people know what you're on about

20180814_145313.jpg

I reckon they did an alright job, obviously it's not spot on and there is a bit of green as you say, but I mean it got better with each new release, so they learned. :sly:

I cannot agree that they did "alright" job, for me it would have to be grey to be alright or maybe I'm a daltonian because all I see is faded green? :confused:
To me it's nowhere near this
1990-nissan-skyline-r32_1.jpg

I think it's just the best representation they can get with the PS1 graphical power and SDTVs available at the time. Also I always find PS1 GT showroom colours to be too washed out lighting wise. Maybe check your TV saturation settings too. It's definitely not perfect, but if they make it more grey it would be too similar to black. I never found it greenish personally. I think it's acceptable for PS1 era game 👍

I always thought it was a bug because all other cars had fairly accurate colors for the time. There was an issue with metallic colors sparkling like crazy in GT1 and 2, but this is probably a bug. The good thing is that when you see it competing against you, you know it's the Nismo. :)

Were there any other cars that came in Gun Gray Metallic? If so, it might make it easier to compare if it was a glitch/bug with rht R32 Skyline GT-R Nismo or just an issue with the colour in general. Also, I tend to side with LeGeNd-1 that for the PS1 and SDTV's of the time, it was the best they could do. It honestly never really bothered me and I didn't notice it until this thread.

Now, if its still the same in GT-S then we have an issue lol

It's not a bug or anything. It's just the way the modeler painted the car. Sure it's not accurate, but back then, you didn't have an RGB value put onto the car and the reflections would be created and applied automatically. You had to paint them. So yeah, the Gun Grey's quite green looking, and still was slightly that way until GT4 but I've never thought it was bad. In fact I like Gun Grey much more that way, cause it's not "just an other silver color" that way.

PS1 GT cars could only have 16 colors per textue "block". 15 if you count the color used for transparency. 16 colors for the front bumper, 16 colors for the sides, 16 colors for the windows etc.

This is it by the way.
As for cars that came in Gun Grey, the '89 and '91 R32 did as well in GT1. But it's identical, they share the same body 3D and texture.

Capture.PNG

Also consider this picture which shows how they could've made that "mistake"
450_1000.jpg

Last edited:
This is not the only car like this as well.

The 1995 GTO's Mariana Blue was slightly purple.
While yes the color of an object can vary depending on the color of the light source but in this case we can say their were errors in GT1, but who cars it was PDs first GT game.
Screenshot 2018-09-01 21.32.16.png

10138030040_large.jpg

yeah Mariana blue pearl being purple is the most noticeable, especially since the GTO are popular. However, I'd rather have it purple than not at all like in later GTs x)

The whole GTO car line was redone for GT2, with new 3D models and textures. So all colors were redone entirely as well.
Is it weird that I actually prefer the GT1 models of not just the GTO, but also the Imprezas? They just look better to me (apart from the hood scoop on the Imprezas being just a flat texture, GT2 fixed that with the only leftover model from GT1, which was the Impreza Rally Car, but the new models are too boxy for my liking - especially the coupe variants).

Not weird at all, GT1 models being superior to their GT2 counterparts is actually a rather common opinion. I personally find the GT2 versions better (apart from some changes like fewer color options) though.

What's funny is that the GT2 versions of the Imprezas are identical to GT1's with GT2 only adding polygons. The spoiler becoming thick all around instead of triangles on the mounts, the WRX logos on the sides and trunk being made higher resolution by giving them their own texture area, the hood scoop and modeled exhaust, and proper side mirrors.
Textures were redone in part, but mostly only color adjustments and tiny touches, and I overall much prefer GT1's colors over GT2's, but the changes are a slightly redesigned taillight texture (which is 1px less high/thinner and highlights), rear bumper (narrower plate area with no WRX logo and less black parts, and same for the front bumper.
And even the Impreza Rally Edition got some changes. Them being the taillight design, the scoop, and exhaust.

I just discovered that variant. Interesting because in all of my years playing GT1, I didn't know R32 NISMO is a thing in GT1. :lol:

Untitled.png

Back