Gymkhana - Turn off force feedback?

United Kingdom
UK
mcroflsandwich
I've read this in a few different places now. Do I really need to turn FFB off to prevent damage to my wheel? I'm using a DFGT. I know you are fighting against the feedback, but isn't the wheel designed to do that? And what makes Gymkhana any different from say, drifting on GT5?

I'm just curious that is all. To see whether other people turn off the feedback. I've tried it with it turned off and find it much more difficult.

And what makes Gymkhana any different from say, drifting on GT5?
Drifting is only one part of Gymkhana. There's also jumping, spinning and donut-ing. The last two are probably of more concern because donuts involved sustained drifts in tight radii, and spins require a controlled spin on an axis. Not to mention the fact that DIRT 3's physics are completely different to GT5's. I've found Gymkhana requires you to constantly make corrections to the direction of the car.

Drifting is only one part of Gymkhana. There's also jumping, spinning and donut-ing. The last two are probably of more concern because donuts involved sustained drifts in tight radii, and spins require a controlled spin on an axis. Not to mention the fact that DIRT 3's physics are completely different to GT5's. I've found Gymkhana requires you to constantly make corrections to the direction of the car.

Ahh right, okay then. Well I only picked up the game yesterday, so I've only done the first couple of Gymkhana events. What I meant by what makes it different from GT5 drifting was in relation to the wheel. So how is it more strenuous on the wheel compared to GT5? But then you said its because of the small corrections you have to make. So I guess thats what its down to then.

Well, I don't actually have a wheel myself. Nor do I have a PS3 and GT5. I'm simply going by my own experiences with the game, and I know that Gymkhana isn't straightforward like the rest of the game. Because of the placement of objects within the Compound - particularly in the later stages - it's very easy to find yourself on a collision course and having to frantically correct yourself.

People have worried about FFB on a wheel for years. there is always some reason that someone finds to turn it off. Here is how I see it ...

The wheel was built for FFB.
The motor will eventually give out if used often, no matter the type of use.

I use the exact same settings for Gymkhana as I do rally and trailblazer and anything else. FFB is the one thing that makes games like this realistic ... how the wheel pulls and you can feel the grip and the caster pulling you straight.

Yes, the movements in Gymkhana are a bit more drastic. Yes, it's likely a little more wear on your wheel. But, in my opinion there is no reason to turn it off. It will not cause failure in any short time frame.

Basically, there has never been a test that I know of where someone has taken two new wheels side-by-side and run them to failure comparing standard racing to drifting/gymkhana or similar. So no one knows. It's all based on assumption.

using a Fanatace GT2 wheel (on ps3, xbox and pc).
Not even thinking about turning FFB off. This is what makes the game with a wheel.

Also the wheels are designed to use ffb and they expect you to counter the FFB in rallygames. My wheel doesn't head up, makes strange noises etc.

So my advise, if you have a wheel, use it fully (incl FFB). If you're scared you'll break it, use your gamepad and sell the wheel.

See, you two have just pretty much backed up my original opinion on the matter. I thought that the wheel was designed for it, so should be able to take it. I'd just heard a lot of people say about how it damages your wheel, so I thought I'd investigate it further.

there are always people that are jerking their wheel through the room, then it brakes and blame the gamemode they were playing for it....it's never the owners fault 💡

I have a few buddies that I have told straight up, that they can NOT touch my racing setup again, they seem to think the FFB is a strength test. I think that if I was to play that aggressive, my wheels life would significantly be cut short.

The way I play, and probably most who are used to a wheel, do not have anything to worry about.

Well yeah, there is a "right" way to drive. I've got a few friends that don't know how caster works and how to properly correct for oversteer and they like to white-knuckle and jerk against the FFB as fast as possible.

Even so, I still think the wheel is designed for that. It's not going to make a huge difference. It will wear the wheel a little more, but I don't see a drastically shorter life from it.

I think the worst thing I've seen done to a wheel is someone forcing it beyond the set limit of rotation. Not past 900º, but past the 500º or so I have set in the profiler. The software enforces a sort of "soft limit" to the rotation that can be overcome with significant force. I feel that this is mors stressful on the plastic components in the G25 than the motors though.

dirt 3 has great FFB and all but I'm pretty sure I've seen much stronger! I'd think a DFGT could handle dirt 3 just fine 👍

McRoflSandwich
I've read this in a few different places now. Do I really need to turn FFB off to prevent damage to my wheel? I'm using a DFGT. I know you are fighting against the feedback, but isn't the wheel designed to do that? And what makes Gymkhana any different from say, drifting on GT5?

I'm just curious that is all. To see whether other people turn off the feedback. I've tried it with it turned off and find it much more difficult.

I use a DFGT and no... you do not need to worry abut FFB ruining your wheel. The only thing I suggest is modifying the standard FFB settings to find a good balance between environmental effects and wheel weight.

I use a DFGT and no... you do not need to worry abut FFB ruining your wheel. The only thing I suggest is modifying the standard FFB settings to find a good balance between environmental effects and wheel weight.
Same, I have mine set to

FFB- On
vibration- Off
Wheel Strength- 100
Wheel Weight- 40

I love how you can feel the difference in terrain. My favorite is tarmac to gravel or viceversa, CM nailed it.

This is my first DiRT game, but WOW am I addicted. I am finding it impossible to find anything negative about the game.

I had a DFGT for Dirt 2 and it copped a fair flogging cause it was cheap enough and it was fun to treat it like crap (and still works as if it was spankers). I have a GT2 now for Dirt 3 and I'm a little concerned about mistreating it cause it's crazy expensive here in Australia but there's not a chance that I'll tone things down cause Gymkhana is just downright some of the best fun I've had behind a wheel. I'm more worried about GT5, the wheel gets really hot and smells like it's cooking despite the so so feedback in that game.

Sounds like something's heating up more than it should... Should check that out because melting rubber is obviously not a good sign, nor is it fun to inhale.

Back