Half the AI cars in my races are totally slow and breaks too early

Italy
Italy
Guys why since some days I have embarassing differences between AI cars?
I have no randomization and no variance on... but some car lose even 10 seconds from the leader of the same class... (most of this breaking early and the accelerating again into corner)

What the hell is that

Happens in my experience as well, on almost every track, vanilla or mod. I run the AI at 85. Used to have 2.5% variance, dropped it to just 0.5% and it still happens. Just 2-3 laps in, at least 5-6 AI cars are a quarter of a lap behind the leader.

No idea how to fix this and given how the AI reacts to settings, it doesn't look very fixable.

I also have no idea how to deal with the immortal leaders of each race. If I start middle of the grid in a quick race, the slow AIs in the middle of the pack slow me down so much that by the time I overtake them after a couple of laps, the leader has pulled so far ahead, there's no catching up.

Same there, even with a same car race, for exemple 20 Kunos Cars race will have 3 second gap with no variation etc, on Spa

This is rubbish really

I have adjusted the F1 cars a LOT and created many championships. Managed to make them really challenging and enjoyable. I've found out that anything below ai level 90 is (usually) slow. If you run a championship and make Content Manager ballast/restriction settings they only affect the 1st race of the season. General 85 ai level is going to be very slow.

Of course there are HUGE differences between the individual tracks. On most Kunos tracks the ai is always competitive. But some track creators have created very slow ai's to begin with... that you can't really do anything about with any CM/champs settings.

But generally if you're using decent tracks with decent ai's, do the championship adjustments like this to championship.champ file, to every single opponent separately and don't touch the CM settings.

Code:
 },
  "opponents": [
    {
      "name": "PLAYER",
      "car": "f1_1998_mclaren",
      "skin": "1"
    },
    {
      "name": "Giancarlo Fisichella",
      "car": "f1_1998_benetton",
      "skin": "1",
      "aiLevel": 89.0,
      "aiAggression": 1.0,
      "nationality": "Italy"
    },
    {
      "name": "Alexander Wurz",
      "skin": "2",
      "aiLevel": 88.0,
      "nationality": "Austria"
    },
    {
      "name": "Heinz-Harald Frenzen",
      "car": "f1_1998_williams",
      "nationality": "Germany"
    },
    {
      "name": "Jacques Villeneuve",
    },
    {
      "name": "David Coulthard",
      "aiLevel": 94.0,
      "aiAggression": 25.0,
      "nationality": "England"
    },
    {
      "name": "Eddie Irvine",
      "car": "f1_1998_ferrari",
      "aiLevel": 92.0,
      "nationality": "Ireland"
    },
    {
      "name": "Michael Schumacher",
      "aiLevel": 96.0,
      "aiAggression": 55.0,
    },
    {
      "name": "Rubens Barrichello",
      "car": "f1_1998_stewart",
      "aiLevel": 87.0,
      "nationality": "Brazil"
    },
    {
      "name": "Jos Verstappen",
      "aiAggression": 22.0,
      "nationality": "Holland"
    },
    {
      "name": "Damon Hill",
      "car": "f1_1998_jordan",
    },
    {
      "name": "Ralf Schumacher",
    },
    {
      "name": "Jean Alesi",
      "car": "f1_1998_sauber",
      "nationality": "France"
    }

Or are you talking about individual races or championship seasons?

Last edited:
I have adjusted the F1 cars a LOT and created many championships. Managed to make them really challenging and enjoyable. I've found out that anything below ai level 90 is (usually) slow. If you run a championship and make Content Manager ballast/restriction settings they only affect the 1st race of the season. General 85 ai level is going to be very slow.

Of course there are HUGE differences between the individual tracks. On most Kunos tracks the ai is always competitive. But some track creators have created very slow ai's to begin with... that you can't really do anything about with any CM/champs settings.

But generally if you're using decent tracks with decent ai's, do the championship adjustments like this to championship.champ file, to every single opponent separately and don't touch the CM settings.

Code:
 },
  "opponents": [
    {
      "name": "PLAYER",
      "skin": "1"
    },
    {
      "name": "Giancarlo Fisichella",
    },
    {
      "name": "Alexander Wurz",
      "nationality": "Austria"
    },
    {
      "name": "Heinz-Harald Frenzen",
    },
    {
      "name": "Jacques Villeneuve",
    },
    {
      "name": "David Coulthard",
      "aiLevel": 94.0,
      "aiAggression": 25.0,
    },
    {
      "name": "Eddie Irvine",
      "aiLevel": 92.0,
      "nationality": "Ireland"
    },
    {
      "name": "Michael Schumacher",
      "aiLevel": 96.0,
      "aiAggression": 55.0,
    },
    {
      "name": "Rubens Barrichello",
      "nationality": "Brazil"
    },
    {
      "name": "Jos Verstappen",
      "aiAggression": 22.0,
      "nationality": "Holland"
    },
    {
      "name": "Damon Hill",
    },
    {
      "name": "Ralf Schumacher",
    },
    {
      "name": "Jean Alesi",
      "car": "f1_1998_sauber",
      "nationality": "France"
    }

Or are you talking about individual races or championship seasons?
I think OP is talking about individual races.

Truth is that fixing the AI is not an easy task. Most of times it requires to edit track's AI settings to avoid the early breaking/accelerate into corner syndrome or make new AI lines from scratch. And this takes a lot of time.

Sure. There seems to be many factors. I'm not any kind of expert as I've never tweaked the tracks, cars or ai. Only played with the championship settings... for MONTHS. I want to have enjoyable and challenging seasons.

It also seems to have something to do with the cars used too. I'm playing a RSS 1990 paid F1 mod and I've never driven against such competitive cars. I have Senna at 94 only and it's extremely difficult to overtake and outqualify him in most tracks. And it's very consistent how well these cars drive. The 1988/ASR 1992 tracks that I use are very well done too, ai is competitive in almost all of them. On some other tracks nothing helps, you can set the opponents at 99 or 100 and they're still slow because the track ai is screwed. Like Phoenix 1991.

There was no chance at all at Paul Ricard or Hockenheim but in this race at Hermanos Rodrigues I managed to overtake Senna after several laps of hard driving. Very well done, this mod (and the 1988 tracks).

Last edited:
Sure. There seems to be many factors. I'm not any kind of expert as I've never tweaked the tracks, cars or ai. Only played with the championship settings... for MONTHS. I want to have enjoyable and challenging seasons.

It also seems to have something to do with the cars used too. I'm playing a RSS 1990 paid F1 mod and I've never driven against such competitive cars. I have Senna at 94 only and it's extremely difficult to overtake and outqualify him in most tracks. And it's very consistent how well these cars drive. The 1988/ASR 1992 tracks that I use are very well done too, ai is competitive in almost all of them. On some other tracks nothing helps, you can set the opponents at 99 or 100 and they're still slow because the track ai is screwed. Like Phoenix 1991.

There was no chance at all at Paul Ricard or Hockenheim but in this race at Hermanos Rodrigues I managed to overtake Senna after several laps of hard driving. Very well done, this mod (and the 1988 tracks).

Nice driving there.

And yes, that track seems to be properly done. RSS and VRC open wheels are among the best. I've been doing some laps with VRC's 2023 formula 1 at Albert Park and are formidable opponents. No need to touch anything on cars or track. But I've done races on many other tracks and had to waste more time editing lines and drivers behaviour than driving.

Last edited:
I added some of my own championship mods to this thread.

I found the 1998 and 2007 seasons somewhere. I have no idea who made the cars (probably based on the Kunos F1 Ferrari) but they're surprisingly challenging and enjoyable seasons with the championship track combo I made. In 1998 I drove Hakkinen/McLaren against Schumacher (at ai skill 96) and barely lost the championship. Buenos Aires track ai doesn't work properly though... so I had to leave that out.

2007 was the same. I had a lot of fun with Raikkonen/Ferrari. This was the tally before 2 last races (China and Interlagos). Eventually I won that year with Alonso/Hammy at ai skill 93. With 96/97 ai skill I think I've had lost it.

UD1XSWt.jpg

Both seasons are throughly tested because I played them through. Cars work great with the tracks that I added to champs files.

It is possible to make very challenging seasons against challenging ai, but it requires a lot of testing. Many members just throw out the championship mods for download and never playtest them properly. It's not just about how the tracks and cars look, the track ai's have to be fast and they should have working pitlanes, etc. Then the ai skill settings. I also make lower tier car aggression much lower (almost zero). It has its downside because they sometimes stuck behind eachother on street circuits. But the plus side is that they become much easier to overtake when they become backmarkers and they don't ruin your fast qualifying laps so much.

Also the grid size is better to limit to 18-19. 22 cars is excessive on most tracks. Just creates mayhem.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thank you for the answers... so everyone of you suggest to play championships?

I've always preferred to do single races (saving the opponents files... ai level... restrictions) and then keeping track of the points by myself

Not necessarily. I don't do single races at all but this is the way to get championships competitive and consistent all through the season. I don't know if I do something wrong but when I use ballast/restrictions they only affect for the 1st race of the season.

Those ballast/restr. settings work perfectly for single races I believe.

I believe your problem might be the tracks you're using. I have some tracks that have insanely fast ai's, like Tochigi on CART 1999. I got absolutely DEMOLISHED in qualifying. Like 4-5 seconds or so when the ai was only at 94.

Last edited:
And there's a way to adjust the Qualy-Race Ratio?

I mean in some tracks it happens to have an AI super fast in qualy and then bad in the race so you easily comeback (or viceversa)

there's a line or a file to fix this? I remember the old RACE 07 had it

Unfortunately there is no way. I hope AC2 will have separate settings for QF ai and race ai.

BUT... when I played my first F1 seasons I was demolished in qualifying. But when I finally learned the tracks due to a lot of practice suddenly I was 3 seconds faster and even took poles on those tracks that I considered "impossible" before. You learn to drive certain chicane in a new way, etc.

USUALLY they're well balanced if the track ai has been properly done. For example in Imola 1992 you have to set the car properly. Reducing the rear wing alone brings you 2 seconds faster time.

Back