Halo

• Thread starter Tom M
  • 17 comments
So, last night I played through and finished all of Halo last night for the Xbox, and all I have to say is WOW!!! What a great game this is. :D I played the entire game two player cooperative with one of my friends. It was probably ten times better this way (although I think it might have been easier too. :) )
The graphics are pretty good, and at times border on greatness, but the meat of the game is in the gameplay (especially multiplayer coop) You are a master Sgt on a doomed starship that crashes into a planet surrounded by a mysterious man-made ring dubbed HALO. Your purpose in the game is to find out what HALO really is.
The game itself is kind of a first person shooter, which generally isn't that good on a console, but Halo makes up for it with a generously forgiving (depending on your chosen skill level) aiming system. (and great weaponry)
The best part of the game has to be the vehicles, there is an assault vehicle that allows for three men. One driver, a passenger (who can shoot forward and to the sides), and a gunner on the back (360 degrees of death spewing action ;) ) There is also hover bikes, airships, tanks, and gun turrets that can be manned. In single player, that is pretty cool, but in multiplayer that is downright amazing. :eek:
It looks pretty good in the screens I am about to post, but once you see one of the little guys (one enemy is more or less comedy relief with a bite) catch a grenade, look at it, and scratch his head before it blows him across the landscape. Or better yet, if there are several and they haven't engaged you in battle yet, they toss it around, playing "hot potato" (although I've only gotten them to do it once so far)
If anyone else here ends up getting an Xbox, this is definitely a great starter game.
:thumbsup:

sim-halo-0010.jpg

sim-halo-0011.jpg

sim-halo-0012.jpg

halo_screen014.jpg

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: Thank God!!!!!!!! Finally, somebody who understands that Halo is FREAKIN COOL!!!!

GT3 is still pretty cool but the XBOX is rockin the gaming world right now. By the way: how in the hell did you get those pictures!!

*Steven Belcher almost pisses his pants after seeing those high quality, cool-a$$ pictures.* :cool: :eek: :cool: :eek: :cool:

The Gran Turismo series is owned by Sony. The PlayStation and PlayStation 2 are the only places you will see GT sequals.

The pictures are mearly links to the original site ( http://www.xbox.com ) which you will see in the bottom right of the image.

Back to the topic ....

Holo is really pretty, but I don't think it has much staying power as a console game. First person shooters don't work well with a controller, now that we've seen the awesome power of the mouse. And what good is a first person shooter if you can't go off killing your friends? Ah, splitscreen you say ... on any normal television splitscreen is a pain. Each player ends up with a tiny piece of visual realestate, and to make it worse, you can all see eachother's screen. Ah, network and internet play you say? How many people have the room and extra televisions for such a thing? And internet play isn't likely for quite some time. The XBox uses the propriatery Microsoft protocal, which internet routers do not pass. Until they configure it with standard TCP, you'll only be doing LAN gaming, which is pretty slick. I've actually done this ... my experience is a bit skewed however.

I was at a friend's house who has a massive projector screen (150+") in a 'home theator room'. When we divide the screen 4 ways we each still have more than a 32" television's worth of visual realestate. The other XBox was connected to a 27" TV with two people on it. We had six people duking it out on just about every map/mode configuration you could image, and we played for about 8 hours. It was a blast, but this is highly rare.

The other downfall, which you touched on but didn't seem to be upset about, was the fact that story mode is over extremely quick. People beat it in a single day, a single sitting! Gran Turismo 3 ... I've been working on it for a total play time of probably about a month, off and on for a couple months. If I was to suggest a first person shooter for a console, I would definitly go with Half-Life. I played it on PC and beat it, and it took me quite a while. If I was working strait through, I would say a couple weeks on the easiest setting, but I was playing on the most difficult so it took about a month. Everytime you think you're getting close, there's a whole new area opened up and several levels to go barging through.

When Halo hits the PC, life will be good. The engine is amazing and the graphics are beautiful. They need to make story mode about 10 times longer, and gear it for a latency ridden internet play. And if they release Windows only, and no Mac, Apple is going to go ape **** crazy. Microsoft will have a hornet's nest to deal with on that one.

Once again, I think Microsoft rushed it and it could have been much better. They just needed a big title to release with their fancy new toy.

~LoudMusic

Oh, and the weapons ... there are only seven weapons and two kinds of grenades. The Quake series, Half-Life, Unreal (and UT), Counter Strike, Infiltration, Castle Wolfeinstine, ... countless others ... have ten to fifteen weapons, plus a bunch of special items like trip mines and several blunt objects. I need more weapons!

The vehicles though ... now that is some slick stuff. If any of you get a chance to play Halo, make sure you take a run in the jeep and the huge tank. Incredible stuff.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by Steven Belcher
Oh, by the way,, have you played story mode on the legendary mode?? Takes you quite a time to beat.

But when you do beat it, you'll get a longer ending sequence, and access to the Covenant Scorpion tank in Multi-player. :)
I'd have to say that it was pretty darn near impossible in 2 player coop mode, let alone the utter failures I racked up in Single player mode :mad:

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell

But when you do beat it, you'll get a longer ending sequence, and access to the Covenant Scorpion tank in Multi-player. :)
I'd have to say that it was pretty darn near impossible in 2 player coop mode, let alone the utter failures I racked up in Single player mode :mad:

Ooooooooo .... very tempting (: Have you beaten it yet?

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic

Ooooooooo .... very tempting (: Have you beaten it yet?

~LoudMusic

Yes, and all of the levels too (with ALOT of effort between my Xbox and friends, and my Friend's, brother's Xbox, and his Friends...)
Now I hear that all you have to do is beat the last level though. :mad:
And I think I have the name of the Vehicle reversed, your tank is the Scorpion, the covenant tank is the Banshee... That's what you get. :) (nonetheless, you get what you don't have in MP mode) ;)

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell

Yes, and all of the levels too (with ALOT of effort between my Xbox and friends, and my Friend's, brother's Xbox, and his Friends...)
Now I hear that all you have to do is beat the last level though. :mad:
And I think I have the name of the Vehicle reversed, your tank is the Scorpion, the covenant tank is the Banshee... That's what you get. :) (nonetheless, you get what you don't have in MP mode) ;)

The Banshee is the flying thing, the tank is something else. Neither of which were unlocked when we beat the game on Legendary. Are you sure that Legendary is all that must be accomplished? What is the vehicle that is unlocked?

~LoudMusic

Back