Handling questionsPS4 

• Thread starter SmileyOr
  • 7 comments
United States
Oregon
I'm new to AC and was testing the 917/30 along with a few other modern cars around Spa. After a few laps with the 917 I was only doing 2:40 lap times.

With the 599XX I was doing consistent laps at close to 2:27. Not only was I faster in the 599, but it was easier to be consistent.

I used the default settings on all cars. Is the modern track prepped supercar really that much faster than the early 70's fastest CanAm car ever made?

I can understand the driver aids making it easier to drive, but by that much?

I'm new to AC and was testing the 917/30 along with a few other modern cars around Spa. After a few laps with the 917 I was only doing 2:40 lap times.

With the 599XX I was doing consistent laps at close to 2:27. Not only was I faster in the 599, but it was easier to be consistent.

I used the default settings on all cars. Is the modern track prepped supercar really that much faster than the early 70's fastest CanAm car ever made?

I can understand the driver aids making it easier to drive, but by that much?

You are forgetting the huge steps tyre technology has progressed in all these years. You will find that this is the main reason. From what I can gather the game replicates these old tyres quite well (too well actually IMHO)

It would be nice that with these older cars you could fit modern race tyres and really have some fun ;-)

917/30 is a monster and on full boost it will obliterate anything short of a Formula 1 car on the straights. I haven't tested the 599XX yet on spa but if they're close I may make a comparison video of the two.

FWIW, IRL the 917/30's laptime is probably only comparable to modern GT cars on a given track. Tire technology have moved on significantly.

Not just tyres, Suspension tech, aerodynamics, downforce and engine management allowing power delivery to be optimised.

Just completed some testing and I've come to realize that while improvements in tires, suspension, downforce and electronics all can make you faster, sometimes there's no way around 1600hp. Here's a video of the two side by side and you can clearly see why, at this track with me driving, the 917/30 is an absolute beast:

917/30: 2:13.867
599XX: 2:17.599

I have no doubt I can come within a couple seconds of my time in a real 599XX, but no way in hell will I go balls out in a 1600hp Can-Am monster.

Just completed some testing and I've come to realize that while improvements in tires, suspension, downforce and electronics all can make you faster, sometimes there's no way around 1600hp. Here's a video of the two side by side and you can clearly see why, at this track with me driving, the 917/30 is an absolute beast:

917/30: 2:13.867
599XX: 2:17.599

I have no doubt I can come within a couple seconds of my time in a real 599XX, but no way in hell will I go balls out in a 1600hp Can-Am monster.

So much stable wheel of the 599.. Great comparison !

Back