Hard limit on number of saved setups for each car on PS4? If so what is it?

United States
Daytona Beach
sloppysmusic
Have posted this info on the official site. No info so far or reply so reposting here in case anyone takes setups seriously on the PS4.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...d-setups-for-each-car-on-PS4-If-so-what-is-it

Hard limit on number of saved setups for each car on PS4? If so what is it?
This has now become a fairly serious issue for me as I'm doing career tunes and posting here for all the races in every tier (eventual plan)

With Formula C I have now reached my coded limit (whatever that is - 52?). I have 4 ALL TRACK setups and 48 more split between 16 or so tracks. 52 total. I usually have 3 optimized setups per track per car, such as optimized qualifying/time trial/race tunes. If I HAD to I could delete all but one of these and guess radiator/fuel levels each time. It would be VERY annoying though.
Of more importance is the question that has to be answered for all users of the game who like to tune. If there are more tracks than the number of setups allowed (which there are it seems) we therefore cannot save even ONE setup for each car for EVERY track?
Apart from my particular in depth project needs, someone else quite likely would have a favorite car. They are also most likely to want to do a TT for each track and make at least ONE setup for that track (well over 60 total). With a hard limit of 52 this would be impossible. As these are only tiny text files why the limit? I understand Sony and their precious rule limits but are these saved as separate files? Why not one database for each car with enough fields for every track already created so the user only then fills in the empty blanks when saving. Of course this would mean setting a limit of 1-x number of setups for each car depending on the number of fields allocated. Either way at least ONE setup would be available to save for each car for every track. Plus the database would never grow in size and therefore ever go over a limit.

My research into this question found the following three threads:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...d-on-some-cars

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...-save-my-setup

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ince-patch-4-0

None of these finished with a definitive answer from the devs. Just guesswork from users.
The quite lazy (sorry) answer at one point was "oh you can solve this by deleting old setups". I'm not talking about 2000 excess wasted PC setups here. I'm talking 52..

If I am to continue my career tune marathon knowing the answer to this question would be very important to me. Deleting old setups allows new ones. Is the limit 52? Someone guessed 50 in one of the threads above. This does NOT affect other cars, I can freely create new setups for Formula Renault for example (never driven before).

Comments and questions welcome but what I really want PLEASE (it should be in the manual for the game) is the EXACT number of saved setups allowed for each car in the game.

Thanks, as you can see my disappointment on discovering this issue while trying to do a new tune can be seen in my latest career tune post:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1513687

Fortunately I only have 2 more Formula C races to do. I can delete old tunes that have both wet and dry setups posted for example. But I never EVER want to delete one of my precious hard earned tunes (6 hours of work quite often) if it means deleting one track tune to start another. Please nobody suggest I can read my OWN tunes here and copy them back in.....I still have to be able to save it! Plus that's dang cheeky..and taking the you know what!

Looking forward to some (well at least ONE), illuminating answers from either a dev here or someone in contact with one. A definite answer is required. Thanks!!

It potentially gets much MUCH worse. Having not even finished Tier 4 yet after doing tiers 5 and 6 and a few extra events (all my tunes here basically) I now am getting the following message EVERY time I try to ADD or EDIT ANY setup on any car.

Project CARS 2_20180611215357.jpg

I get this message EVERY time I save a setup for a car I have not used before. Edit or save new. If I HAVE used the car before and already have setups it lets me create and edit new ones with NO ERROR MESSAGE.
You can see the setups in the LOAD SETUP screen and you can switch between them but when you quit session and reload track/car combo ALL the setups are gone!
Any NEW car I haven't raced yet for every creation and edit displays the above message. Whether you press YES or NO the result is the same. The setup IS saved and edited ONLY temporarily but all changes/creations are LOST as soon as you quit the session.
Sooooo it's more than just extremely annoying having this message EVERY NEW TUNE I create and edit as Ive only used about 20 cars or so max I think for EVERY new car I try out. This is game breaking/ending for me!
This IS a serious problem now for me as I can ONLY create setups for a few cars AND a few tracks in total and cannot even continue my career/invite and manufacturer tune threads!!! There are hard limits to the number AND storage size limiting seriously the number of tunes for all cars and tracks to around the 150 figure (very approx guess).
Will try deleting replays see if that affects the 1GB error limit.

I have gone into the PS4 saved data folder - 880MB approx used (close to 1GB)
Noted setups are 3.15MB in size
Ghost replays are 4.20MB
To test if there is a hard limit on number of setups I have deleted 10xghosts=42MB freed space.
NO replays are saved BTW.
Will now attempt to create a new setup for a new car (my original plan was for event for Nissan on Cali Highway stage 1.
This task has been delayed by the game hanging when I try to load setup in TT so am rebooting and trying the actual event (which has worked before for similar crashes)
Will edit this post if my ghost deletions have made room for 42MB/3.15MB new setups....

EDIT:
deleting ghost replays allows me to create new setups. I have created 3 so far for the Nissan. So this indicates there IS a hard limit for number of setups saved AND a TOTAL saved data size of 1GB in the storage folder.
I dont save replays and dont care about ghosts so HOPE that deleting all the ghosts will allow me a few more saved setups.
This DOES either way mean that at 3.15MB a save AND career data saves of about 4MB (cant remember at the moment) the maximum number of setups allowed TOTAL for ALL cars and tracks is approximately
870MB/3.15.
Let's call it 250 as a rough figure.
So if you drive every track with a car you can only save data for about 4 cars?
Or if you load every car you can only save setups for approx 4 tracks. (assuming 60 cars/60 tracks i know it's way more!)

This makes the PS4 version a VERY limited tool for the racer wishing to explore the game and change anything like fuel or tires compared to the PC version which I presume has no limits if you have enough storage space?
It looks like my career setup thread on here is now dead in the water unless I switch to the PC....very disappointed as I'm only 1/3 way through all career events and 1/10th through the extra events. No point in buying and DLC as I can't
use the new tracks or cars!!
I get this message EVERY time I save a setup for a car I have not used before. Edit or save new. If I HAVE used the car before and already have setups it lets me create and edit new ones with NO ERROR MESSAGE.
You can see the setups in the LOAD SETUP screen and you can switch between them but when you quit session and reload track/car combo ALL the setups are gone!
Any NEW car I haven't raced yet for every creation and edit displays the above message. Whether you press YES or NO the result is the same. The setup IS saved and edited ONLY temporarily but all changes/creations are LOST as soon as you quit the session.
Sooooo it's more than just extremely annoying having this message EVERY NEW TUNE I create and edit as Ive only used about 20 cars or so max I think for EVERY new car I try out. This is game breaking/ending for me!
This IS a serious problem now for me as I can ONLY create setups for a few cars AND a few tracks in total and cannot even continue my career/invite and manufacturer tune threads!!! There are hard limits to the number AND storage size limiting seriously the number of tunes for all cars and tracks to around the 150 figure (very approx guess).
Will try deleting replays see if that affects the 1GB error limit.

EDIT:
have gone and deleted 126 ghosts (all of them) in storage. Total is now around 226MB. So I should be good now for another 150 setups. Does anyone know how to turn ghost replay saving OFF? I could never figure out how to access them anyways so this would be a mjor help for me. At moment my game crashes EVERY time I go to time trial and try to enter setup for the new car (using the new setups I created during a test run of the event with no error messages).

Last edited:
I think this issue is also related to the extremely limited replay saving ability in PC2/PS4. Half of what could be saved in PC1, and a tiny fraction of what other racing games allow you to save. It basically makes PS4 league race review impossible for anything other than sprints.

Somebody over at SMS is a bit behind the 8-ball when it comes to memory management in the PS4...

I think this issue is also related to the extremely limited replay saving ability in PC2/PS4. Half of what could be saved in PC1, and a tiny fraction of what other racing games allow you to save. It basically makes PS4 league race review impossible for anything other than sprints.

Somebody over at SMS is a bit behind the 8-ball when it comes to memory management in the PS4...

Yes the 15 minute maximum replay is a pain. You CAN actually stop the OFFLINE race every ten mins and save the action but not ONLINE and it's such a pain to do that. I like longer races and making videos. These 2 are not compatible with PCars2.

I have to delete them ghost replay a lot as well as I like to tune a lot but I am ok with having one stable tune I like per car maybe if you copy/moved the setups not currently being used to a usb drive to allow you a little more space I don't know off hand about the way they name them so maybe a pen n paper will be needed(old skool;)

It appears that SMS made zero provision for a non-cloud save system in PC2. Epic fail.

I can understand if this was their first PS4 game, but let's be honest. This issue affected PC1 as well. Not as badly, but still well below what leagues expect to be able to save to have a full review of a race. So for this issue to continue unfixed (in fact, way worse) well into the life of their second PS4 game, one can only see basically how much SMS prioritize fixing issues that would have been game killers if allowed on the PC version.

Other games have no issue with long replays on PS4. Other games have no issues allowing local saves on PS4 (either to HD or attached USB devices). I'm afraid I call BS on anyone who claims this is a platform limitation.

This is an SMS inability to code well for consoles issue.

Back