Hard Tires, help PLEASE!PS4 

• Thread starter slthree
  • 14 comments
United States
Fact Central Florida
slthree
I have gotten to the point where I'm pretty darn good on soft tires and I've been able to raise the AI considerably.

I am desperate to race more with the guys online, especially the friendlier guys here who are always so welcoming. I always want to join them when I get home early enough and see that they are online, but then I think better of it because I'm not at their level.

Problem is that they are very realistic in their racing and normally use hard tires.

So, over the past three days I have been trying to use hard tires in races where I know I've done well before. I'm terrible! It feels like when I first started this game over a year ago.

To be honest, it's totally shattered my confidence in using anything but softs and wets. But, I know that isn't the right way.

Please, if anyone can help me with tips on how to advance my racecraft with hard tires I would be extremely grateful.

I have gotten to the point where I'm pretty darn good on soft tires and I've been able to raise the AI considerably.

I am desperate to race more with the guys online, especially the friendlier guys here who are always so welcoming. I always want to join them when I get home early enough and see that they are online, but then I think better of it because I'm not at their level.

Problem is that they are very realistic in their racing and normally use hard tires.

So, over the past three days I have been trying to use hard tires in races where I know I've done well before. I'm terrible! It feels like when I first started this game over a year ago.

To be honest, it's totally shattered my confidence in using anything but softs and wets. But, I know that isn't the right way.

Please, if anyone can help me with tips on how to advance my racecraft with hard tires I would be extremely grateful.

Hey @slthree , I've gotten to where I will run the Hards only if the track temp is well above 25c, and I'm wearing out my Softs. I can generally run soft tires for a race, whereas others are on the hard tires. For example, we (PITS 2 league) just ran our rotating Blancpain GT3 series race, and while not everyone was on Hards, the majority were. I was able to pull off a 4th place finish in the 90 minute race making one stop for tires, Softs again. While I ran a good majority of the race in 3rd, and a late race spin with about 9 minutes to go saw me lose the last step of the podium, with minimal tire wear, those on the Hards were experiencing similar wear. The main thing is not locking up during braking, and not "sliding" the car through any of the corners, keeping away from unwanted and unneeded, excessive, tire wear.

I generally don't do that well, I'm generally mid to back pack in our league (when the regulars show up), but with some practice and working on the car setup was able to pull off a decent result. And as far as running hard tires, they definitely have to be up to temp, and then the same thing applies as in the paragraph above, you can't be locking up the brakes or sliding the car. There have also been a handful of cars that I just can't run the hard tires... so there's that.

You need to join us Thursday night for PITS2 league. It's laid back and fun, doesn't matter your skill level - just that you want to race cleanly. @Alex ONeill and @HazardLvL4 are two of the best people on here and will help you with your car setup, wheel setup, whatever you need to get racing.

Slthree, send me a friend request (down in my sig) and I'll invite you tonight if we get a practice room going. 👍

[btw, I joined this league right at about 6 months ago (middle of Feb) and have since popped into other leagues on different nights, but PITS2 is far and away my favorite. I was really, REALLY, nervous about joining and Alex and Hazard were calming and just made me feel welcome and that they were glad I was in there racing... you got nothing to lose - if'n you don't like it, you don't have to stay. :cheers: ]

Thank you for the reply.

In the race that you made two pit stops and got softs both times, did those who were in hard tires have to pit twice as well?

Hey @slthree , I've gotten to where I will run the Hards only if the track temp is well above 25c, and I'm wearing out my Softs. I can generally run soft tires for a race, whereas others are on the hard tires. For example, we (PITS 2 league) just ran our rotating Blancpain GT3 series race, and while not everyone was on Hards, the majority were. I was able to pull off a 4th place finish in the 90 minute race making one stop for tires, Softs again. While I ran a good majority of the race in 3rd, and a late race spin with about 9 minutes to go saw me lose the last step of the podium, with minimal tire wear, those on the Hards were experiencing similar wear. The main thing is not locking up during braking, and not "sliding" the car through any of the corners, keeping away from unwanted and unneeded, excessive, tire wear.

I generally don't do that well, I'm generally mid to back pack in our league (when the regulars show up), but with some practice and working on the car setup was able to pull off a decent result. And as far as running hard tires, they definitely have to be up to temp, and then the same thing applies as in the paragraph above, you can't be locking up the brakes or sliding the car. There have also been a handful of cars that I just can't run the hard tires... so there's that.

You need to join us Thursday night for PITS2 league. It's laid back and fun, doesn't matter your skill level - just that you want to race cleanly. @Alex ONeill and @HazardLvL4 are two of the best people on here and will help you with your car setup, wheel setup, whatever you need to get racing.

Slthree, send me a friend request (down in my sig) and I'll invite you tonight if we get a practice room going. 👍

[btw, I joined this league right at about 6 months ago (middle of Feb) and have since popped into other leagues on different nights, but PITS2 is far and away my favorite. I was really, REALLY, nervous about joining and Alex and Hazard were calming and just made me feel welcome and that they were glad I was in there racing... you got nothing to lose - if'n you don't like it, you don't have to stay. :cheers: ]

Only did one pit stop... and yes, those on hard tires had to pit as well. I think one of the racers even switched to Softs at the pit stop.
We did, I think, 43 total laps... Here's the race.

This is from Hazards car... I'm the "ARA" abbreviation. I qualified 6th, which I was thrilled with.

Add me on PSN. We have about 12 guys that race every night. I'm sure we can help you out

Here's an example of my issues:

GT3 European championship in career mode

Track: Catalunya GP
Car: Ferrari

Practice Conditions
80F ambient temperature
105F track temperature
Medium Cloud

6 laps on hard slicks: 24th dead last. Best lap 1:56.407

6 laps on soft slicks: 3rd. Best lap 1:53.135

(I'm almost embarrassed to post his lap times because I'm sure to most of you they are terrible)

The point is that I'm faster on softs and I'd like to be that fast on hards

Advice?

{I wanted to add that I'm using the CSL elite pedals with the heavy heel plate. And, part of my problem is that I can't press too hard on the pedals or the base lifts up and forward. I'm certain this is one of the reasons why I am so slow because I have to use my opposite heel to hold down the plate while I break or while I accelerate}

Last edited:
Well, just like with any racing disipline (almost any, anyway) softs are going to be "faster" than hards or mediums even.

Just like in F1
maxresdefault.jpg

Hard - - Medium - - Soft

You generally see Pole times set on the Red sidewall tires, because they are the softest. If you are running a race, when you qualify run the softs for Pole time (or as close as you can get - 3rd in your example above) then run the race - if there's no pit stops - on softs if they'll last. If they aren't gonna last, go with the hards.

Well, just like with any racing disipline (almost any, anyway) softs are going to be "faster" than hards or mediums even.

Just like in F1
maxresdefault.jpg

Hard - - Medium - - Soft

You generally see Pole times set on the Red sidewall tires, because they are the softest. If you are running a race, when you qualify run the softs for Pole time (or as close as you can get - 3rd in your example above) then run the race - if there's no pit stops - on softs if they'll last. If they aren't gonna last, go with the hards.

Tyres on the gt3 cars dont work like F1, it can be faster to run the hard tyres track temperature, personnally I run hard tyres 95% of the time.

Have you tried running the stable set up with hard tyres it will give you a bit more understeer.
Also re calibrate your pedals when you start driving in the menu just incase, with your pedals moving.

Ime the main difference between hards and softs in terms of driving style, is that the hards can take more abuse. You can slide the rear end more and they don't overheat. The softs you need to be more careful and drive within the limits of adhesion, not beyond them.

E.g. In the Ginetta gt4 at a league race at sonoma national I set a 1:35.9 in quali on hards early on in the session (at the time a WR from that I could ascetain in that car from the steam DB, Pc2 TT and YT vids - the usual searches and only 0.1s off the overall GT4 WR set in the rocket bunny in the TTs). I then tried softs for the rest of the session to try and beat it, thinking that should be easy with the extra grip, and not only could I not get close but the car was completely undriveable. I had set up the car for hards with plenty of "turn effect" from the rear in, round and out of corners. This was way too much for the softs to handle.

So the point of that story is, it's probably your driving style that needs to change to suit the tyres and if you're perfecting setups, a setup that suits the tyres. Protect the softs, abuse the hards. And you can go fast on hard tyres, so don't think softs are the only way to go for speed.

I only ever try softs on a 5 lap or less race or cold conditions. Given most races are rarely this, go for hards most of the time.

Last edited:
Using softs in the rear and hards in the front is also another good strategy when the tarmac temp won't reach 30ºC. It might not be realistic for GT3 and not necessary at all in GTE (just hards in this one), but it is always a nice alternative in all categories where hards on the rear do suck below 30ºC. Try this configuration on GT1 cars when the temps are between 22ºC-28ºC and get ready to fly, specially at lapping the Nords. You may now take your chances at forcing the tyres because the softs in the rear won't go above 95ºC, and the hards in the front at more or less same when taken to the limit will hold too.

Ime the main difference between hards and softs in terms of driving style, is that the hards can take more abuse. You can slide the rear end more and they don't overheat. The softs you need to be more careful and drive within the limits of adhesion, not beyond them.

E.g. In the Ginetta gt4 at a league race at sonoma national I set a 1:35.9 in quali on hards early on in the session (at the time a WR from that I could ascetain in that car from the steam DB, Pc2 TT and YT vids - the usual searches and only 0.1s off the overall GT4 WR set in the rocket bunny in the TTs). I then tried softs for the rest of the session to try and beat it, thinking that should be easy with the extra grip, and not only could I not get close but the car was completely undriveable. I had set up the car for hards with plenty of "turn effect" from the rear in, round and out of corners. This was way too much for the softs to handle.

So the point of that story is, it's probably your driving style that needs to change to suit the tyres and if you're perfecting setups, a setup that suits the tyres. Protect the softs, abuse the hards. And you can go fast on hard tyres, so don't think softs are the only way to go for speed.

I only ever try softs on a 5 lap or less race or cold conditions. Given most races are rarely this, go for hards most of the time.
I'm almost certain you are correct that my driving style needs to adjust. I believe I have been using soft tires because they offered me more grip and less sliding, therefore becoming a crutch.

But, my time has always been poor because of it. Lately, I've been joining people online who are experienced racers and they mostly use hards and I'm learning to drive better

I'm almost certain you are correct that my driving style needs to adjust. I believe I have been using soft tires because they offered me more grip and less sliding, therefore becoming a crutch.

But, my time has always been poor because of it. Lately, I've been joining people online who are experienced racers and they mostly use hards and I'm learning to drive better
Use less tire pressure. If your on tonight I'll give you some tips on tires and wear.

This is the problem with default setup. If you find the hards twitchy normally i'd just drop the tyre pressures as much as possible to get some more sidewall flex and act more like softs that are a bit slower to react/have more "give" on the limit. Not an option in default.

You also might find the hards have less "bite" when turning in. Default setups for GT3 cars are most definitely set for trail-braking to get the turn-in. In fact trail-braking is a must for GT3's. Default setup or not.

This is the problem with default setup. If you find the hards twitchy normally i'd just drop the tyre pressures as much as possible to get some more sidewall flex and act more like softs that are a bit slower to react/have more "give" on the limit. Not an option in default.

You also might find the hards have less "bite" when turning in. Default setups for GT3 cars are most definitely set for trail-braking to get the turn-in. In fact trail-braking is a must for GT3's. Default setup or not.

QFT.

@slthree trail-braking is something you'll need to learn, as I did, especially running against other "people" vs the Ai. You'll get there man. Hazard and I are gonna be practicing tonight for the Road America race for tomorrow - I'll shoot you an invite. 👍

The hard slicks are tougher to get working in their optimal operating range which should be in between 85 to 100 celsius.

Here are a few things you can do to the set up:

- close the brake ducts some more

- run more downforce

- soften the suspension components a bit (springs, dampers, sway bars) ***be careful with this one as you don't want to bottom out if you decide to increase the downforce as well

It takes quite a bit of testing given that all tuning is track dependent to a large extent. It's a baseline nonetheless

Hope it helps!

Back