Hardcore Rally Enthusiasts, need advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter makospeed44
  • 19 comments
  • 2,781 views
Messages
102
Messages
Doctor_A44
I'm looking to buy a car. Now there is a 1996 Camaro Z/28 that is absolutely to the last bolt exactly the way I want it, up for sale. As of right now, I'm looking to buy it. HOWEVER. There is this B2 VW Passat for sale right next to my friend's house and I haven't really checked it out, but I have toyed with the idea of making it into an every day rally car (tune the suspension, give it some more power, maybe a transmission upgrade if it gets to that point). This got me thinking, what are some good ideas for everyday rally cars other than the obvious Evo or STi? Here's what I'm looking for specifically:

-Has to be a sedan. At the very least a Hatchback (preferably 3 door; i.e. Fiesta, Golf GTI, Fiat 500)
-Preferably RWD or AWD. I know FWD is probably gonna be the majority of your suggestions, especially after my first description up there ^. However if possible I would really like RWD or at the least, AWD. I understand that may not be possible so don't fret.
-Non American. I doubt that anyone will suggest any, but I just want to clear that up. Preferably something German? Audi or VW derived. But not too picky. Any ideas will do.
-Something relatively easy to work on and reliable. Again, I know that's asking for a lot so its only a side bonus if this is possible.
-Something that I wouldn't have a problem using every day, but driving to the back dirt roads and unleashing the Rally beast.
-Something that is a little older. 80's? 90's at the latest....

Thank you to all who read and respond, I really appreciate it. Always pull through for me guys. 👍

Oh and btw, I live in New Jersey. I know a lot of Rally Enthusiasts are more global, but as a disclaimer I do live in the States, so I don't have access to all of the amazing European Cars.
 
-> Um, I'd go with a Subaru Justy AWD. If you can find one:

1990-94-Subaru-Justy-90810051990001.jpg


- Hatchback
- AWD
- Easy to work on
- (Very) Strong Subaru fan base in your area.

^ Or go here for some old school Subie advice and ad's:

Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:)
 
B2 VW Passat for sale right next to my friend's house and I haven't really checked it out, but I have toyed with the idea of making it into an every day rally car (tune the suspension, give it some more power, maybe a transmission upgrade if it gets to that point)
I thought you were joking when you said "B2 Passat," but then I knew you were joking when you said "tune it".

For the record, I had to look up "B2 Passat" in Google. I've never even seen one before.

As for old AWD cars, Subaru is about your only decent bet. I haven't seen any models pre-Impreza in years, and the ones that I have seen are total rust buckets.

I've found that old cars in general are a pain in the ass to own. You should probably focus on something mid-nineties or later. In other words, buy the Camaro. If you can find a decent Impreza, they're also interesting cars.
 
1st gen DSM. :lol:
(even if its American)
 
A first gen DSM would be great, provided it doesn't explode.

Honestly, a FWD car will be better to run and more competitive for club rally type events. You could always find an older E30 or E36 to run as well. Modifying a Passat is, honestly, a funny idea. And a Camaro for Rally doesn't make too much sense given the rear suspension, last I recalled.

A Ford Escort GT would also be a solid car for this, and is a lift back.

And a Justy isn't a great idea because those things love to roll over. Or was that the Brats? Either way, not really a great car to start with. Maybe an old XT6 or what not.

Also, how old are you that you want to get into rallying.
 
A first gen DSM would be great, provided it doesn't explode.

Honestly, a FWD car will be better to run and more competitive for club rally type events. You could always find an older E30 or E36 to run as well. Modifying a Passat is, honestly, a funny idea. And a Camaro for Rally doesn't make too much sense given the rear suspension, last I recalled.

A Ford Escort GT would also be a solid car for this, and is a lift back.

And a Justy isn't a great idea because those things love to roll over. Or was that the Brats? Either way, not really a great car to start with. Maybe an old XT6 or what not.

Also, how old are you that you want to get into rallying.

I'm not lookin to make the Camaro a rally car. And I'm gonna be 19 this Fall. I'm actually not even looking to make rallying a big deal. Just somethin to do outside of school and work. I'm really interested in it, but I know it will be costly and rather difficult. On a side note, what are a DSM and Brats....? Keep in mind, I am in the U.S
 
DSM = Diamond Star Motors, mainly the AWD Turbo Mitsubishi Eclipses and Eagle Talons. The Subaru Brat is an old mini-ute, kind of like the Baja.

Also, what is your budget? There are a ton of options at a variety of prices...
 
I
-Non American. I doubt that anyone will suggest any, but I just want to clear that up. Preferably something German? Audi or VW derived. But not too picky. Any ideas will do.
-Something relatively easy to work on and reliable. Again, I know that's asking for a lot so its only a side bonus if this is possible.
Does not compute. Esp. if you want to rally with it. :dunce:
 
Does not compute. Esp. if you want to rally with it. :dunce:

An older E36 or E30 would probably fit into that bill. Decently. Fairly easy to work on and parts aren't too bad (not much worse than my Civic was)

A VW or Audi though :lol:
 
Everyday rally car? So that means decals, mudflaps and a 2" lift, right?
 
Alright. Glad to see everyone's making a big joke out of this. I don't exactly know what I'm getting into here so like I said any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. I just have a thing for Audi's. I really don't care what you suggest at all. I'm just saying that's what I like.
 
If you want to competitively rally, like take it to an event on the Rally America circuit, you need a license from a school, otherwise a simple FIA license that you can send away for will do, but you can only drive a 2wd N/A car with small displacement, IIRC.
 
get the Camaro and forget the nonsense, bud.
 
Your list of wants/needs doesn't mention anything about rallying. You want to tinker with the suspension, give it power, ok, that's just like modding any car. Where does the rally aspect come in?
I don't get this thread.
 
Alright. Glad to see everyone's making a big joke out of this. I don't exactly know what I'm getting into here so like I said any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. I just have a thing for Audi's. I really don't care what you suggest at all. I'm just saying that's what I like.

If you don't know what you're getting into then I suggest you figure it out. Look up some local rallycross events, look for forums specific to that sort of thing and see what they suggest.

I don't know much about rallycross but from what I've seen, it looks like it's pretty hard on your car, much more than autocross. You would definitely want something like... whatever the opposite of a VW or Audi is. Unless you're talking about actual, semi-pro or amateur, point to point rally, then you'll need a license of some sort and definitely not a 30 year old VW.

If you just want the look of a rally car on your daily, buy a hatch or something that looks like a WRC car, put an inch lift on it, some Compomotive wheels and mud flaps with a light bar full of Hella lamps and call it a day.

To be fair, you asked if you should buy a "perfect" Z28 Camaro or a "reliable VW" from 30 years ago so you could start rallying. A bit of an odd and confusing question.
 
Take the camaro, find a dirt road, and let donuts ensue. Then you have a great car and can call it rallying!
 
If you are actually looking at proper rallying, the majority of people that do rallies down here are in old Dattos (Datsuns), Escorts and the odd Ford Falcon. My dad used to rally a Mark II Volkswagen Golf.

However if you're not, and your criteria kinda suggests that, and you're into your VWAG cars then how about a Bora? Correct me if I'm wrong but it's badged as a Jetta in the US right? Like these:

volkswagen_bora_1_9_tdi_4motion_img_21332.jpg
 
Back