Has anybody noticed...

• Thread starter EdwardKA
  • 24 comments
United States
South Carolina
MechanicEdward
That the ride height for standard/US measurements is in inches?

Maybe it's just my blurry screen but I don't see any decimal(s) in the given number, sooo I get to raise or lower my cars +-50 inches or so?

Just something I noticed from day one that's bugged me. Wondered if anyone else has noticed.

Is that even ride height at all, or is it suspension total movement amount?
Even spring rate units aren't correct. :)

That would be an insaine amount of movment on some cars. 147 inchs on a STI? ~12 feet!?!?!?! :lol: so 6 foot a side. I could see it now. Would need a extenttion ladder to get in your car. :D
Or just 14.7cm total movement.. Maybe data logger can answer this too.. Never thought..
8cm low rider oldies are rare on game..

Or just 14.7cm total movement.. Maybe data logger can answer this too.. Never thought..
8cm low rider oldies are rare on game..
I think that is what it is in reality. they have just never fixed the notation in the game.

So let's say i want to make a replica of the 1969 toyota 7. before it was given double turbos. My source says that it was 33.1 inches (or 840 mm) What would i set the ride height to ingame to replicate that?

It's mm, I matched visually Lexus ISF ride height in GT6 vs real car ( stock ). I used Lexus ISF manual doc vs GT6 ride height, perfect match visually. Sometimes PD model the chassis ride height with different reference point, some manufacturer states ride height from lowest body point, some from certain part of chassis. Most of them are very close to factory ride height/ground clearance specification ( in mm )

So let's say i want to make a replica of the 1969 toyota 7. before it was given double turbos. My source says that it was 33.1 inches (or 840 mm) What would i set the ride height to ingame to replicate that?
840mm =84 cm and the notation in game should read cm not in

840mm =84 cm and the notation in game should read cm not in

And that measurement is likely to the top of the fender well circumference. I measure ride height on the Miata under the main sub-frame, front and rear. That leaves me at front 10.3 cm and rear 13.4 cm (not raked, higher sub-frame mounting point in the rear.

And that measurement is likely to the top of the fender well circumference. I measure ride height on the Miata under the main sub-frame, front and rear. That leaves me at front 10.3 cm and rear 13.4 cm (not raked, higher sub-frame mounting point in the rear.
I will differ to your greater real life knowledge on this one 👍 I have no clue how they get ride heights real world.

I will differ to your greater real life knowledge on this one 👍 I have no clue how they get ride heights real world.

Most of the repair manuals that I have seen have mechanics measure to the wheel well at the top of the fender. Measuring there is close enough for the street. I don't know any race team that would trust the alignment of their fenders as a precise measuring point.

It's mm, I matched visually Lexus ISF ride height in GT6 vs real car ( stock ). I used Lexus ISF manual doc vs GT6 ride height, perfect match visually. Sometimes PD model the chassis ride height with different reference point, some manufacturer states ride height from lowest body point, some from certain part of chassis. Most of them are very close to factory ride height/ground clearance specification ( in mm )

This is the reference from real life :

isf.JPG

My replica uses the same ride height and they matched visually, I think I provided comparison pictures as well on the replica post.

Stock ride height - Lexus Manual 131.7mm / 112.1mm

2007-lexus-is-f.jpg

GT6 - 132mm / 112mm

GT6 ISF.jpg

Last edited:
That's proper measuring, different manufacturers have different reference points, but it's generally not where most would assume. You need to measure "suspension" height, not vehicle height. So in game is close but it's not really inches, they just never fixed to the proper setting. Muscle cars also don't allow enough rear ride height adjustment. Can't "Jack them up" as high as you should be able to. Not that they would drive as well, but who wouldn't want to take a 64 GTO or Chevelle and lift the rear just for the look. Of course, wider tires would really be needed.

That's proper measuring, different manufacturers have different reference points, but it's generally not where most would assume. You need to measure "suspension" height, not vehicle height. So in game is close but it's not really inches, they just never fixed to the proper setting. Muscle cars also don't allow enough rear ride height adjustment. Can't "Jack them up" as high as you should be able to. Not that they would drive as well, but who wouldn't want to take a 64 GTO or Chevelle and lift the rear just for the look. Of course, wider tires would really be needed.
So what are you saying? If, it's not really inches, then what is it?

I'd say mm would be what it's supposed to be. Look at the WSR Aryton Senna car, IIRC F3 cars are not 40 cm off the ground but more like 4 cm or 40 mm
Depends on where PD is measuring. Suspension would be mm, wheel arch would be cm. Just my thought, but most likely true suspension and mm.

I'd say mm would be what it's supposed to be. Look at the WSR Aryton Senna car, IIRC F3 cars are not 40 cm off the ground but more like 4 cm or 40 mm

Yeah, that's an odd one. If my Miata, measured to the sub frame bolt in the front, or just below the inner lower arm suspension mount is 10.4 cm, then good god how high is 40 cm on that car? 40cm would reach the top of a 15" tire. So maybe mm? 40 mm is about 1.5 inches. Is that believable, only 1.5" of down travel before bottoming out?

Answering my own question: "A typical F1 car will run 20mm front ride-height and 70mm rear ride-height when stationary. But the Red Bull is typically 5mm lower than that at the front and 10mm higher at the rear." http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/24659085

I guess that I could believe that GT6 is in mm, but to what point on the car?

Last edited:
PD uses each specific model/manufacturer data for ride height :) Not every car uses same measurement point of reference for ground clearance ( this often very close to GT6 figure for stock ride height )

For RALT F3, I have the regulation docs somewhere that it was indeed 40mm minimum height limit.

For F3:
Minimum wheelbase; 200 cm.
Minimum track; 120 cm.

8. Aerodynamic devices must comply with the rules relating to coach- work, and must be
firmly secured whilst the car is in motion. Under no circumstances can any part of the
bodywork or of the suspended part of the car be below a horizontal plane passing 1 cm
under the bottom of the drivers seat and at least 4 cm above the ground, the car being
in normal racing trim with the driver on board.
In order to allow the scrutineers to
carry out this check a 10 mm diameter hole will be bored through the bottom of the
seat and the corre- sponding floor.

That's car total height, going close maybe with first checking GT6 total height and assuming at that is achieved when GT6 suspension ride height is on stock position, if GT6 states same total height of car you don't need to do anything. But i.e. if GT6 states total height of 860mm, drop 20 from default suspension ride height. Got point?

Back