Has anyone noticed RPM gauge issue in some cars (DB3S, D-type, 500 Mondial Pinin Farina Coupe)

Italy
Modena
attackment
I see the RPM gauge needle jerking in some cars, like:

Aston Martin DB3S '53

Jaguar D-type '54

and Ferrari 500 Mondial Pinin Farina Coupe '54 (no video attached).

It seems that the needle of the instrument works at a low refresh rate.
Has anyone else noticed this problem?
Maybe the issue is present on other cars as well.

Last edited:
What I’m just wondering is, why did some manufacturers choose those over the other „normal“ ones? Because other cars from the same year ain’t got these. Did they had any advantage back then?

What I’m just wondering is, why did some manufacturers choose those over the other „normal“ ones? Because other cars from the same year ain’t got these. Did they had any advantage back then?
In race cars with lots of vibration in particular, a chronometric tachometer is more stable to read. The needle doesn't bounce around. It also isn't as important for real time rev counting when you aren't trying to time a shift just before the fuel cut, so older cars where the upper rev limit was dictated more by valve float and otherwise just running out of huff it wasn't an issue.

In race cars with lots of vibration in particular, a chronometric tachometer is more stable to read. The needle doesn't bounce around. It also isn't as important for real time rev counting when you aren't trying to time a shift just before the fuel cut, so older cars where the upper rev limit was dictated more by valve float and otherwise just running out of huff it wasn't an issue.
Thank you very much, that was very informative!

Latest Posts

Back