Has anyone seen Carrie?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Danny
  • 14 comments
  • 952 views

Danny

Code Red
Premium
Messages
24,137
United Kingdom
Scarfolk
Messages
Grim10
Messages
Are you kidding?
I'm just wondering if "Carrie" is any good.

I've seen a couple of trailers, even though it's an old film.

Here's a great tribute video I found on YouTube.


So, anyone seen it?
 
yeah, carrie is a classic :)
 
yeah, watched it 2-3 times, first time when i was 10, i just laughed at it then as i do now.
 
And now you're ?
11 ?

Sissy Spacek is really great in that role.
When you've seen it take a look at The Shining with Jack Nicholson.
But as for all movies from books by Stephen King, make sure you watch the movie before you read the book. Or else you'll be disappointed by the movie.
 
And now you're ?
11 ?

Sissy Spacek is really great in that role.
When you've seen it take a look at The Shining with Jack Nicholson.
But as for all movies from books by Stephen King, make sure you watch the movie before you read the book. Or else you'll be disappointed by the movie.

Agreed.. I'm also closed to 11 (going on 30+) but have enjoyed Carrie very much on more than one occasion.. The story goes so much beyond the cheesy special defects.. Highly recommendable as a piece of SK history !....
 
Sissy Spacek is really great in that role.
When you've seen it take a look at The Shining with Jack Nicholson.
But as for all movies from books by Stephen King, make sure you watch the movie before you read the book. Or else you'll be disappointed by the movie.
Agreed. I was particularly disappointed in The Shining, which I enjoyed as a book and hated as a movie. I thought Kubrick could have done such a better job.

Carrie is definitely a great period-piece. I've watched it probably 10 times, and will still tune it in, particularly in the second half of the movie.
 
And now you're ?
11 ?

Sissy Spacek is really great in that role.
When you've seen it take a look at The Shining with Jack Nicholson.
But as for all movies from books by Stephen King, make sure you watch the movie before you read the book. Or else you'll be disappointed by the movie.

actually no, i'm 16. I'm the kind of person who laughs at any horror, if it's good or bad acting.

The shining is a good film, with Jack Nicholson being such a talented actor it had to be something of a high quality and he can still act as well, if not better then he could in his latest films.
 
actually no, i'm 16. I'm the kind of person who laughs at any horror, if it's good or bad acting.
This I agree with.
The shining is a good film, with Jack Nicholson being such a talented actor it had to be something of a high quality and he can still act as well, if not better then he could in his latest films.
And here I totally disagree. I'm one of the 7 people on the face of the Earth who is completely unimpressed by Jack Nicholson. I just don't think he's that great an actor, since essentially he has two characters: the violent psycho and the greasy sleazeball. As soon as he sets foot on camera, you know it will be one or the other. The greasy sleazeball usually manifests immediately, so if he doesn't, you can set the countdown clock for when he explodes into violent rage as the psycho.

Casting Nicholson in The Shining essentially destroyed the suspense and horror of that movie, because from the first minute, it became clear that Jack would wig out about halfway through and try to kill everybody. It should have been somebody totally innocuous like John Ritter in that role.
 
This I agree with.

And here I totally disagree. I'm one of the 7 people on the face of the Earth who is completely unimpressed by Jack Nicholson. I just don't think he's that great an actor, since essentially he has two characters: the violent psycho and the greasy sleazeball. As soon as he sets foot on camera, you know it will be one or the other. The greasy sleazeball usually manifests immediately, so if he doesn't, you can set the countdown clock for when he explodes into violent rage as the psycho.

Casting Nicholson in The Shining essentially destroyed the suspense and horror of that movie, because from the first minute, it became clear that Jack would wig out about halfway through and try to kill everybody. It should have been somebody totally innocuous like John Ritter in that role.


i can understand what you're saying, he is limited to certain roles as he has been type-casted on numerous occasions, based on roles in other films of the same genre, which just meant he got more practice at doing those types of roles that an other, resulting in the 2 characters he can play now. But to be honest, he's damn good at what he can do.
 
Casting Nicholson in The Shining essentially destroyed the suspense and horror of that movie, because from the first minute, it became clear that Jack would wig out about halfway through and try to kill everybody. It should have been somebody totally innocuous like John Ritter in that role.
Or Steven Weber from the TV show "Wings". Oh wait... He did.

Now as for Carrie, it is one of a few on my enjoyable list. As Duke noted, the later half of the movie is easily re-watchable.
 
I just don't think he's that great an actor, since essentially he has two characters: the violent psycho and the greasy sleazeball. As soon as he sets foot on camera, you know it will be one or the other. The greasy sleazeball usually manifests immediately, so if he doesn't, you can set the countdown clock for when he explodes into violent rage as the psycho.
He can also do the "Little Wierdo", seen in films like "About Schmidt", "As Good As It Gets", or "Something's Gotta Give".

And I still think he is great because of his performance in such films as the original Batman(original w/Keaton), and "A Few Good Men".

Edit:
Oh, yes, Carrie. I saw it, while back. It was quality, but I didn't really care for it for some reason. I'm not opposed to checking it out again though.
 
He can also do the "Little Wierdo", seen in films like "About Schmidt", "As Good As It Gets", or "Something's Gotta Give".
...which is just the repressed version of the Violent Psycho.
And I still think he is great because of his performance in such films as the original Batman(original w/Keaton), and "A Few Good Men".
...both of which were the Violent Psycho: one more flamboyant, and one more rigidly disciplined, but Mr. Violent Psycho nonetheless.

Meh.

I don't know, but there must be something about the force of his personality that affects other people. Rolling Stone recently put Nicholson on the cover over the title "The Great Seducer". In the picture, he looks like a latter-day William Shatner minus the bad toupee but plus a set of bad false teeth. So obviously he's got some charisma that affects people.

I just don't see it.
 
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "great". I thought he was great in Few Good Men, but he isn't that consistent. He is one of my favorite actors though, and I think he does a dandy job as an actor, even with a limited range. I have more problems with the films he picks out. "As Good As It Gets" to me was pretty much as good Nicholson films got. Even "Anger Management" I thought was awful.

That's it. Sorry for the off-topicness, Danny. :nervous:
 
Carrie is a very good horror film for the period.
It wouldn't make it today. It has a plot.
 
Back