Has Gran Turismo 4 changed your life?

I've been a car guy since I was a child, but.if I have to name a GT game that had me even more into cars, that has to be the first GT rather than 4. I was already a car enthusiast by the time it came out :)

When it came out (I was 5 at the time), I was constantly overwhelmed with the sheer amount of content. I would spend many hours simply browsing the dealerships and going "Wow, they have the Ford Mustang in this game!" and "Oooooh, a Jaguar XJ220!!!" and "No way!!! Nike made a concept car?!". And the graphics, ohhhhh mate! I swore black and blue that graphics couldn't get any better than that!

It's safe to say I expanded my knowledge of cars well beyond previous bounds thanks to GT4, so yes, I'd say it changed my life. :sly:

GT4 was trash. Enthusia was way better.

obvious sarcasm if you can't see it smh
257993.jpg

Though TBH, Enthusia wasn't that good either, and while it had some good ideas, they were either poorly executed, or didn't feel enough.

edit: got caught by sarcasm, grrrrr. Points still stands in regards to Enthusia.

I would say the original GT (and especially GT2) changed my life. :) I always had a love of cars, but got much more interested in them because of those two games. If it weren't for those two, if I had never played them especially, I wouldn't have had the desire to try switching from my old job to being a mechanic 10+ years ago.

GT4 didn't really change my life, instead, its vast library of cars gave me more enthusiasm about them. Back when I was into GT4 (2007-2010 ish) it was often possible for me to drive a car at my job, and then drive the same car in the same day, but this time in the game. Camaro, Mustang, VW Golfs and Beetles, Miata, Toyota MR2, Mitsubishi Galant, Lancers (including at least one Evo), Subaru Impreza (including WRX versions, though no STI dammit), Jaguar X and S-types, Civics, Accords, Infiniti G-class, Lexus IS and GS, Mercedes C and E classes, Mazda Protege, Eagle Talon, Dodge Rams, (etc.) the list goes on and on. We even have an NSX which occasionally shows up!

Last edited:
GT4 got me into proper wheel driving (who remembers the old Joytech Williams F1 wheel?). Whilst it didn't change my life it certainly changed how I played racing games to this day.

GT or GT2 didn't change my life, but GT3 did.

GT1 definitely changed my life. GT3 was one of those games which I didn't appreciate as I should have done at the time but looking back now, it was a masterpiece.

It's plausible that GT4 convinced me to get both GT5 and the console for it. GT6 had just been announced at the time. It had less impact when it was new, owing to me only playing occasionally.

If you guys want to know, GT4 has changed my life whenever I went to a dealership, I would read the endless info while the Background music really suit it. I learned things about Mazda, Nissan and many more companies learning also about car parts n more. Safe to say GT4 was my favorite :)

I wouldn't say Gran Turismo 4 fulfilled what I learned from the past GT's that I played. I love endurance racing, but I think GT3 took the spot for me, it's the first GT I got into that I loved. The tire wear physics were the best of it's time, and you could go only 10 lap stints on racing hard tires, which in any case was not that much realistic, but you would have to do some strategy for most of the events if you want to finish first, also. Some cars were pretty rare to get as prizes, which worked like in GT1 with special model cars ending in a _EXT.

GT4 reinforced my interest in both cars and racing games. I had already spent a questionable amount of time in other racing games prior to GT4. However, I've probably spent more time in GT4 than in all of my other racing games combined. So in a way, yes, it has left an everlasting mark on me.

Whichever one you played first is probably the one which changed your life.

I think that's probably the response that will be true for most people.

I think Sega got me into racing through their Arcade games like VR Racing, Daytona USA and Sega Rally along with my Nan who loved F1 and I sat in front of her watching from the late 80's.

However, the original Gran Turismo showed me car culture and exposed me to the concepts of car control and racing. I remember being so excited for the game, I brought it with my holiday money when I was with my family on summer holiday here in the UK, along with the original Dual Shock! As we were on holiday for a week, I kept re-reading not only the manual, but the very odd driving manual that told me how to counter steer, how to brake effectively and taught me racing lines. I had no idea about anything of the sort up to that point in my life and when I got home, I slowly realised their had never been a game like GT before.

Although GT4 is a brilliant game, it was Sega and the original Gran Turismo that somewhat, changed my life. :)

Heck yes. Each year I buy a "toy car", usually mint non-molested 90's Japanese cars. This year it was a ZZW30 MR2, last year it was a 240SX S14. Also when I travel and see some of the landmarks in the game (Opera Paris, George V Four Seasons, Monaco, Amalfi Coast) I always reminisce the days of racing those maps in my red Cizetta :cheers:

I got it for my birthday in 2005 and I have to say it is the most played game in my entire life. it was pretty much constantly on from 2005 to 2013 when i decided to move up a console Generation. It was the first time i was faced with the nurburgring...the best memories are supercar hot lap-comparisons and acting like clarkson in the replay commentary on top gear :D. My First GT was GT3 but i was too Young back then to really improve on it. GT4 was the first Driving Sim/Game i really lusted after. Not just racing, the whole atmosphere. I am still listening to the game Soundtrack (and indeed every GT Soundtrack from 1 to 6) in my car to this day because the Music just suits driving so well. On some Country roads ist like you´re in the game.

I was into cars all my life, my first word was car. Between 3 and 9 i enjoyed toy cars, my first models and began to watch races on tv. But gran turismo has brought my car enthusiasm to a biblical Level. And GT4 Plays the biggest role.

I learned so much from GT4, from tuning parts, manufactures, brands and it goes on.

Me too! That game teached me everything about Chassis work, fine Tuning and which parts are resposible for which behaviour of a car

In a word, yes:

View attachment 619678

View attachment 619679
(Yes, 19 year-old me should get a haircut.)

You make me proud to be Canadian, Bud. :cheers:

Whichever one you played first is probably the one which changed your life.

This is true. In that sense it was probably Pole Position or Uniracers that got me into actual video-gaming

GT or GT2 didn't change my life, but GT3 did.

GT3 was a monster. Is a monster. It still awaits my prowess but so far is not letting me have my way. One day . . .

GT4 will still be rather 'special' to me. The game took a direction there that was a definitive change - the introduction of B-Spec, as well as the way the menus were laid out, and the way it felt we were actually rookie drivers travelling the world and trying to make our mark. Simply put, it didn't really change my life, but did take my GT playing in a new direction and firmly cemented me to the series. Even now all I have to do is boot it up again and I'm playing a very interesting and absorbing driving/racing, car-collecting video game, one with a unique flavour to it that no other game on PS2 comes close to.

If all one can afford is a second-hand PS2 and a used copy of the game - then I can heartily recommended this as one really fine way to waste a LOT of time for any poor petrolhead.

When it came out (I was 5 at the time), I was constantly overwhelmed with the sheer amount of content. I would spend many hours simply browsing the dealerships and going "Wow, they have the Ford Mustang in this game!" and "Oooooh, a Jaguar XJ220!!!" and "No way!!! Nike made a concept car?!". And the graphics, ohhhhh mate! I swore black and blue that graphics couldn't get any better than that!

It's safe to say I expanded my knowledge of cars well beyond previous bounds thanks to GT4, so yes, I'd say it changed my life. :sly:
This.

I was 9 when it came out, I saw the advertisement and I had to get it.

And I was blown away. 700 cars! 50 tracks! And so on...

I was a car person before, but with GT4 I learned many things in detail. What is a Turbo? How does NOS work? Different types of tires, and so on...

I still love to just browse through the dealers, tuning options and so on because it gives me those memories when I spent hours on that game.

Also, in 3rd class of elementary school we had to write a diary, consisting of three sentences for every day. I always wrote about what I did in GT4 that day :dopey:

Back