Has GT Lost Some Realism?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CORRUPTEDDISC
  • 11 comments
  • 1,432 views

CORRUPTEDDISC

(Banned)
Messages
1,638
United Kingdom
UK
Messages
CORRUPTED_DISC
So...I've just won the GT World Championship...in a Viper ACR, and its got me wondering. Now, I haven't played GT since number 4 on the PS2, but I'm pretty sure that back then a Viper wouldn't have beaten the Minolta, R92CP, 787B etc. on ANY track, let alone a full championship. Yet, I did win all 5 races relatively easily.

So, has Gran Turismo lost some of its competitive realism?
 
Tbh i believe this is a good thing. Before if you wanted to do those "LM" types of races, you had to use a LMP or group 1 car or go home. That you can use a GT3/GT1 type of car, i welcome allot.
 
People won't want to hear this, but yes. In GT6 some of the cars are *FAR* to easy to control. Basically, it's as if they've gone and done the overall physics fairly well, but then built-in a huge extra safety margin, even with all driving aids turned off. I can do things in the cars in GT6 that would be absolutely certain to cause loss of control, a crash, or death in real life and have zero problems at all recovering in GT6. I can also get into cars I should have no business being able to drive well and thrash the hell out of them with little or no negative consequences. GT4, for example, was a much more challenging in this regard. Later updates in GT5 had this same problem.

They should include a "pro" mode without the extra safety margin.
 
People won't want to hear this, but yes. In GT6 some of the cars are *FAR* to easy to control. Basically, it's as if they've gone and done the overall physics fairly well, but then built-in a huge extra safety margin, even with all driving aids turned off. I can do things in the cars in GT6 that would be absolutely certain to cause loss of control, a crash, or death in real life and have zero problems at all recovering in GT6. I can also get into cars I should have no business being able to drive well and thrash the hell out of them with little or no negative consequences. GT4, for example, was a much more challenging in this regard. Later updates in GT5 had this same problem.

They should include a "pro" mode without the extra safety margin.

I play with a DS3, and find cars way harder to control (and more realistic) then in GT5. I don't think they can make it much harder before it becomes too hardcore for normal users. For me GT6 feels the most real of all GT games.
 
I play with a DS3, and find cars way harder to control (and more realistic) then in GT5. I don't think they can make it much harder before it becomes too hardcore for normal users. For me GT6 feels the most real of all GT games.

It's not at all unusual for wheel and DS3 users to have radically different experiences. I suppose there really isn't a way for PD to fix that, except maybe doing a "wheel" mode and a "DS3" mode. Actually, that might not be a bad idea...
 
New member here, but have been reading these forums and playing GT5 for a long time. I have to agree with you panjandrum - in fact I came here looking to see if anyone else was thinking what I was thinking. I played GT5 a lot, and as soon as I started GT6 (day 1) I could feel that cars had higher grip levels and slides were much easier to recover from. So, I set up a test where I took brand new stock Elise 111R '04s around Trial Mountain in GT6 then in GT5. I did several good laps in each, until I felt I'd put in a few very good / error-free laps, and got the best time I could out of the stock Elise setup (for my driving ability... ranked #10 in Canada based on GT5 TT results on mygranturismo.net). My lap time in GT6 was 1.3+ seconds faster than it was in GT5. Same/stock car (base PP is 2 higher in GT5, but it still lost), same setup, driving aids off (zero TC, SRF etc off). The cars don't slide as much in GT6... they seem to have a slightly artificial level of grip, especially when braking hard, and as you say I find they recover from slides much more easily. Kind of disappointing, but still am loving the new game and for the most part I prefer the changes they have made in GT6 compared to GT5. Heading back to play some more! :) (edit: PS... am a DS3 / stick driver)
 
Glad it's not just me then :D I thought spending the past 5 years playing Forza had clouded my expectations...
 
If your interested in realism, IRacing is the way to go, I love that game for that reason. I race real stock cars and their setups are even very close to what you run in real cars
 
I can't say which is more realistic, GT5 or GT6 (since I've unfortunately never had the opportunity to drive a real race car anywhere near it's limits) - so I'm not sure how much sliding / grip is truly realistic in a racing scenario ... but I have driven many cars in my 43 years (and tried many racing games) so I know how real cars feel and react, and GT5 just feels a little more realistic to me than GT6. Still loving GT6 though... it looks nicer, and most features are an improvement over GT5.
 
To each their own, I suppose, but as someone who takes part in motorsport events quite frequently, I love the way the cars handle. When you're in control of a car, it doesn't matter if it's a Viper or a Corolla - You are in control. My daily driver is a '77 280Z, but I race in Porsche GT3's and BMW M3's, and I don't find them any harder to drive. Like I said, to each their own. One thing to keep in mind is the new tyre and suspension data (Courtesy of Yokohama and KW Auto.) These changes play a huge role in how the cars feel in the game. One thing I have noticed, however, is that the AI is way too easy to compete against. Perhaps that's why it felt so simple. A more challenging AI would be appreciated.
 
You are right CrazySwede - the AI is far too easy to beat, at first. You are often winning after 1 of 3 laps, even in a much lower PP car. I notice they do get faster & tougher to beat as you progress though the career mode - but still not really tough... yet. I don't mind the new feel. In some ways it feels more precise, but I also think the net result is that the cars are a bit easier to drive / handle better, which gets them around the track quicker. And my test confirmed that. Of course a decent tune would do the same thing... and I was testing stock setups. As for which is more realistic, seems like you'd know more than me so I'll take your word for it.
 
You are right CrazySwede - the AI is far too easy to beat, at first. You are often winning after 1 of 3 laps, even in a much lower PP car. I notice they do get faster & tougher to beat as you progress though the career mode - but still not really tough... yet. I don't mind the new feel. In some ways it feels more precise, but I also think the net result is that the cars are a bit easier to drive / handle better, which gets them around the track quicker. And my test confirmed that. Of course a decent tune would do the same thing... and I was testing stock setups. As for which is more realistic, seems like you'd know more than me so I'll take your word for it.

Yeah, I haven't gotten to those higher race classes, yet, so I'm stuck doing one lap of racing and 2 laps of hot lapping, haha.

The game does have a different feel, but to me, it feels more dynamic. GT5's vehicle mechanics worked very well, but the cars often felt like square bricks on wheels. The new suspension model simulates weight transfer and body roll more accurately, at least in my opinion. However, I can definitely understand what the un-tangible feeling is that you describe that makes it feel easier. The way I see it, GT6's car handling is much more predictable than GT5, so you can tone your driving in real-time to the different physics elements, which is a good thing. If you're finding GT6 to be easier, then I could only assume it's because you are now more in control of factors that were absent in the previous game, making you a more in-tuned driver.

Those are just my two cents. I've only done one GT5 - GT6 comparison in an E92 M3 around Laguna Seca on SH tyres, and my laptime in GT6 was slightly faster and less...."difficult?"...but I believe that's up to the new Yokohama data.
 
Back