Has there been a car handling update in the last 6 months?

• Thread starter Andre75
  • 7 comments
Germany
Germany
I could hardly handle the "Open-wheel Legends" without traction control. But now, coming back to FM7 after half a year, they (and cars in general) seem to be easier to drive. Was there a car handling update in the last 6 months?

Officially there has been no update announced to car handling physics.

As @limepie mentioned there have been some Force-Feedback updates for wheel users.

There have also been some changes to car-to-car collision physics, and the addition of a Collision Assist which makes it harder for other cars to spin you round.

Racing with my team mates, we also noticed that some cars (open wheelers, GT3/GTE cars) handle differently than they did at launch after the huge FFB update. And we're all playing on pads, but we were knocking 1-1.5 seconds off previous laptimes easily, and had more grip even when launching off corners like the dreaded in 1st gear.

But it may be just the good, old fashioned placebo effect.

Yesterday I played FM7 after big break...Wow, new menues again...And there's no sliding in corners, it feels like new game. I played comfortably with gamepad without fights with slidings, wow. Tried some different cars even F1 Renault, was glad to drive them. What happened?

I also notice this and I've been saying on the FM forums and here, there was definitely a change sometimes within the last 6 months. It was probably when they started the wheel FFB fixes when the overall vehicle grip physics was changed too. I'm sure this was across the board although not officially announced many of us can see and feel a difference.

If this is supposed to be an improvement, I would have hated to drive when the game first came out. I've had the game about 3 weeks now and I've had so many race cars go for spins and slides it's ridiculous. You try to drive with all assists off to make maximum credit payouts but it just puts cars on ice skates. The handling combined with the totally idiotic AI makes this game incredibly frustrating.

With powerful cars you definitely have to watch out for two things to avoid spins.
1 brake before tuning the wheels when possible. Only trail braking in corners
2 be progressive with the throttle when exiting corner as long as the wheels are not straight in line

Enjoy

Back