Have a Samsung HLN series DLP? Having 1080i Problems? Look Here!

  • Thread starter Thread starter YelFerrari
  • 4 comments
  • 935 views
Messages
2
Just wanted to let everyone know that if you are trying to play GT4 with the component video cables (red, blue, green) and you have an early Samsung HLN series (any size) your inputs will not be able to handle the switch from 480i to 1080i. The reason is that the early HLN series DLPs only support 480i on component video input #1. Input 1 is limited to 480i/480p, while inputs 2 &3 only support 480p/720p/1080i. This causes alot of havoc for gamers where the resolution changes alot. Retailers blasted Samsung for doing this and they updated the t.v. firmware halfway through the product cycle. You can check this by looking at the sticker that labels the inputs on the back of the t.v. The new HLP series supports all formats on all component inputs. I suffered with this problem for quite a while, until I swapped out my tv one with the newer firmware(I work at the store).

If you cannot do this, unfortunatley, you are stuck, unless you want to swap cables around between races/menus. Honestly, though, as long as you have component video cables, you are a mile ahead of the standard composite (yellow) video people in terms of quality, so don't loathe your tv because of it. I hope this eases some frustration out there. Good Luck :)
 
You are a godsend!

I've been beating my brain trying to figure out why I can't get 1080i to work. I have the Samsung HLN617W. I just bought Monster component cables for the PS2. Plus my wife just bought me the DFP. I was all set to crank!

If only 1080i would work.

So is there an upgrade I can get? Can I send my tv back to Best Buy?

Please help!
 
i had a similar problem with my dlp projector. i used this http://www.us.playstation.com/peripherals.aspx?id=SCPH-10130U to connect the ps2 to the composite and component inputs on the projector since the component wouldn't accept 480i. this adaptor basically gives you 2 a/v multi out connectors. you plug that adapator into the ps2 and your ps2->component cable into the end of the adaptor. the only problem is switching the input back and forth for races. its a shame pd couldn't have made the menus at least 480p.
 
p0rl1n
i had a similar problem with my dlp projector. i used this http://www.us.playstation.com/peripherals.aspx?id=SCPH-10130U to connect the ps2 to the composite and component inputs on the projector since the component wouldn't accept 480i. this adaptor basically gives you 2 a/v multi out connectors. you plug that adapator into the ps2 and your ps2->component cable into the end of the adaptor. the only problem is switching the input back and forth for races. its a shame pd couldn't have made the menus at least 480p.


Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a bit confused... By the looks of that accessory, it looks like an extension for an RGB cable. Does this work for Monster Component cables?

Am I basically SOL with this version of the HLN from Samsung? :grumpy:
 
Now I understand why my HL-N567W won't display the basic stuff when connected to Component 2 or 3 and won't go above 480p when connected to component 1 input.

Many thanks for the explanation.

What about the PC input, perhaps with one of those component -> SVGA converters?

If that's no good, I suppose we'll just have to wait for the next playstation in the hope it supports higher resolutions natively.
 
Back