• Thread starter The Bman
  • 15 comments

The Bman

That's just one of my names.
Premium
United States
Pittsburgh, PA
The_Bman24
Can you complete the original Gran Turismo without spending any credits?

The challenge came to mind after the GT6 thread with a similar premise. With GT6, reward cars are very easy to come by. Just get a few stars every few events and win a car by doing so. Here in the original GT, prize cars are a much less frequent occurrence, due to the fewer events available. That does not, however, make the game impossible to beat. Rather, still extremely difficult.

My progress so far, I've golded every B-license test and unlocked the Dodge Concept Car, managing to win the Sunday Cup and FR Challenge with it. I've attempted the Lightweight Challenge with the Demio prize car from the Sunday Cup, but it is literally impossible to win stock. Result may be having to complete another event, if there's even another lightweight car to be won.

I looked at the prize car list and found out that this is indeed possible, but very difficult to accomplish. If anyone can beat this challenge, you will be my hero (alright maybe not, but I'll applaud your skill to an unprecedented level).

Good luck! :)👍

I thought this would have been much easier in the older GT titles. The prize cars were a lot more abundant. GT6 you only win cars for the championships, licenses & Seasonal events.

That sounds like an awesome challenge and I will be taking that one up, I'm dreading the Normal car cup without a Viper! May need to Gold IA for the Nismo 400R for that one? I have never Golded all of A and gotten the TRD 3000 GT but B and IA are very do-able for me.

The biggest challenge in my opinion - believe it or not - will be the FF and Lightweight events, simply because the only prize car you can enter is the Demio A-Spec and it's slow as crap. I might have to make a lone, competitive FF car the single exception in this challenge (though that does defeat the purpose of the challenge). Not sure if you can enter any of the two FF Challenge prize cars in the Lightweight Challenge.

Damn...well maybe an exception is needed. I reckon this challenge would be doable on GT2 without having to make exceptions because of the sheer amount of prize cars...but GT1 has Special Stage Route 11 and GT2 doesn't :P

Just added GT1 and 2 to my retropie, so i might as well give it a try, but i'll now ill slip by modding certain fav cars
(cough 1000hp Mitsubishi GTO twin turbo ) haha

So I began this challenge a couple days ago. Obviously the first task is golding the B license for the Concept Car and away you go. Well as usual I got 7 out of 8 licenses with a gold very easily. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to which frigging license is making me lose my head!! I am doing this on my PSP and I almost put it through a wall when I got a time that was 0.002 off of the gold time! On my long finished GT1 game on my PS1 I have golded both B and IA. I think A is the hardest of the three to gold but I am just not getting this particular license on my PSP.

Now I think I should have just golded IA instead because I swear that would have taken me way less time than I have spent so far on that one godamn license.

So I began this challenge a couple days ago. Obviously the first task is golding the B license for the Concept Car and away you go. Well as usual I got 7 out of 8 licenses with a gold very easily. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to which frigging license is making me lose my head!! I am doing this on my PSP and I almost put it through a wall when I got a time that was 0.002 off of the gold time! On my long finished GT1 game on my PS1 I have golded both B and IA. I think A is the hardest of the three to gold but I am just not getting this particular license on my PSP.

Now I think I should have just golded IA instead because I swear that would have taken me way less time than I have spent so far on that one godamn license.
How did you get GT1 on your PSP. Can i get it on vita?

I managed to gold the A License, but the IA is giving me trouble. It's a hit or miss; you get a really good lap time or a really bad one.

FF Challenge and Lightweight Battle, I might seriously have to make a rule where you can add one modification to the Demio but no more. 94 horsepower doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell against cars with over twice that power. The GT Cup is also insanely difficult and hopefully when (if) I gold the IA license it will be easier.

It's possible to win a Civic Type-R. That should be enough for the FF and Lightweight.

As for golding the licences, why not watch the demos in the replay theatre? Doesn't cost any credits and might help you find better lines.

"How did you get GT1 on your PSP. Can i get it on vita?"

I made an eboot using PSX2PSP. For some unknown reason the game has not been released on PSN nor has any sequels. I'm playing the USA version on my PSP because my actual copy is PAL (live in Australia) and I prefer 60hz. That said I bought Japanese copies of the first three Gran Turismo's which is also great. I got those because I bought that rare Japanese console the PSX (you know, that big white thing that's a PS1/PS2/DVD player all in one) I know nothing about getting custom PSX2PSP games on Vita because I have never hacked my Vita.

I think I may say F-You to the B-License and gold IA instead and get the Nismo 400R and hope that its good enough for Normal Car Cup.

I wouldn't mention emulating if I were you. Just wanted to put that out there.
It's possible to win a Civic Type-R. That should be enough for the FF and Lightweight.

As for golding the licences, why not watch the demos in the replay theatre? Doesn't cost any credits and might help you find better lines.
On previous playthroughs, I tried entering the Civic. Doesn't work.

For the FF Challenge, maybe the Honda CRX Del Sol LM could enter? I never got it so I wouldn't know if it were FR or FF (most LM cars are FR);
http://www.gtseriescenter.com/GT1prizecars.htm
Under Anglo-Japanese Sports Car Championship.

On previous playthroughs, I tried entering the Civic. Doesn't work.

Surely the Civic is good enough for the FF challenge? I'd even be surprised if it couldn't enter the Lightweight.

For the FF Challenge, maybe the Honda CRX Del Sol LM could enter? I never got it so I wouldn't know if it were FR or FF (most LM cars are FR)

The CRX LM is MR, I'm afraid. But the base CRX you can win from the FF championship might be good enough to win the Lightweight cup.

Surely the Civic is good enough for the FF challenge? I'd even be surprised if it couldn't enter the Lightweight.
FF Challenge it can enter. Only problem is actually beating the Lightweight Battle because...
The CRX LM is MR, I'm afraid. But the base CRX you can win from the FF championship might be good enough to win the Lightweight cup.
In this case, you'd need to use the Demio because there are literally no other options for either FF or Lightweight. Now if you do somehow pull off a miraculous win in the Lighweight and do win the Civic, then things become very easy.

Hell, I've even beaten the Normal Car Cup with the TRD 3000GT (A License prize car) before I've even contended for a win in the Lightweight and FF. I'll keep giving them a go as many times as needed, however, until I beat them. 👍

I ended up doing this on my actual physical PAL Copy in my PS3 because I golded that one license B-3 in two go's that was giving me the ***** on my NTSC PSP version.

Most of my time was spent Golding licenses. I got the Nismo 400R and easily did Normal Car Cup. Used Demio A spec in FF and Lightweight cups and fully tuned it was very competitive and easily winnable. Although the Eclipse sure is fast!

I have overcome all the races that were going to be different due to this challenge but I am now at the point where the remaining races are ones that I just use the FTO LM edition to win so I have stopped.

Thing is, I still haven't Golded the A license and that is one very annoying thorn in my side. I cannot get Gold for A1-3 and A8. Every other license in the game I have golded.

If I was good enough to get gold in the licences I may have given this a try but I struggle to get anything above silver. Although I did get a gold on the B Licence finale when replaying it the other day.

Back