HDR in PCars 2

• Thread starter RaceFuchs
  • 3 comments
Germany
Near Nürburgring
DanPrez
We all know there is a lot of fuzz about HDR in GT Sport and Forza 7, but PCars 2 features HDR, too. Like in many other HDR-enabled games, it is quite hard to find impressions and opinions about the HDR implementation in PCars 2. Even Digital Foundry had nothing to say about HDR in their analysis. It is quite puzzling given the fact many people are interested about HDR.

If you own a HDR TV, please post the model in this thread and your impressions about HDR in PCars 2.

I own a Samsung KS7590. It is a good mid-range HDR TV which produces mixed results in my experience. I spend a lot of time playing in HDR, then turned it off in the PS4's menu. To be honest, i couldn't notice any difference.

There’s a noticeable difference for me. Especially when there’s cloud cover and sunsets going on. Colours around the circuits are noticeably more vivid and have a lot of depth.

Overall very positive. Not quite forza 7 demo which is outstanding but very very good.

LG 49UH850v - 4K with 10bit HDR

Ok, i did another test, with surprising results. I choosed the Mclaren 720S in Mclaren Orange and used Showroom View. In SDR, the Orange look almost yellow in some angles, but in HDR, the Orange looks more vivid, indeed. That Mclaren Orange test works in GT Sport, too. We all know Kaz said a thing or two about it.

Then i took the car on the Nürburgring at 19.00 - the perfect time of day for an intense sunset sky. It looks breathtaking in HDR. In SDR, it looks very nice as well, but colours are not that varied and vivid. I also noticed that the Inboard view and the road look too dark in SDR.

So yeah... PCars 2 looks better in HDR.

On a side note to all those using HDR there is a visual setting to adjust to ensure its setup correctly in the options.

Back