HDR looks a bit off...

• Thread starter DakotaXIII
  • 10 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Does anyone else think the HDR in GTS looks a bit weird? There's lots of ghosting when you have something dark on a lighter background; kinda like a glow.

It's most obvious in the UI, particularly the font on the tooltip bubbles. However I've really noticed lately in the Civic with cockpit view: looking at the edge of the rear view mirror against the grey sky and there's a halo of lighter pixels. It's definitely not any kind of HDR bloom (other why would it happen on text, too).

I'm on a Pro and playing on one of Sony's new 1080p HDR TVs, so there's a chance this is an issue with the supersampling as no one else seems to have reported an issue.

I've turned off HDR for now :(

Any one else noticed this?

Does anyone else think the HDR in GTS looks a bit weird? There's lots of ghosting when you have something dark on a lighter background; kinda like a glow.

It's most obvious in the UI, particularly the font on the tooltip bubbles. However I've really noticed lately in the Civic with cockpit view: looking at the edge of the rear view mirror against the grey sky and there's a halo of lighter pixels. It's definitely not any kind of HDR bloom (other why would it happen on text, too).

I'm on a Pro and playing on one of Sony's new 1080p HDR TVs, so there's a chance this is an issue with the supersampling as no one else seems to have reported an issue.

I've turned off HDR for now :(

Any one else noticed this?

What’s your HDR setting?

What’s your HDR setting?

In what sense? I use the default HDR-Game when the TV picks up the HDR signal.

No advanced settings on. Backlight and Contrast at max. Brightness at 50. Nothing else on.

Horizon looks amazing and has no ghosting at all. I wonder if it's a sampling issue as I'm on HDR at 1080p; not many people will have that set up.

In what sense? I use the default HDR-Game when the TV picks up the HDR signal.

No advanced settings on. Backlight and Contrast at max. Brightness at 50. Nothing else on.

Horizon looks amazing and has no ghosting at all. I wonder if it's a sampling issue as I'm on HDR at 1080p; not many people will have that set up.

If you go to the in game video options, you will see what the HDR setting is. I believe it's between 1-10.

What is yours?

That'll be your TV. Try fiddling with the settings on the TV, see if there's something in there that might be causing it. I don't have a Sony TV, so I couldn't even tell you where to start. But it looks great on my end.

Make sure Motionflow, Cinemotion, and all that jazz is set to off. My Sony set came with that stuff on by default and I saw similar ghosting effects until they were completely disabled.

If you go to the in game video options, you will see what the HDR setting is. I believe it's between 1-10.

What is yours?
That'll be your TV. Try fiddling with the settings on the TV, see if there's something in there that might be causing it. I don't have a Sony TV, so I couldn't even tell you where to start. But it looks great on my end.
Make sure Motionflow, Cinemotion, and all that jazz is set to off. My Sony set came with that stuff on by default and I saw similar ghosting effects until they were completely disabled.

HDR setting in game is set at about 5, after using the wizard.

I've tried playing with lots of the tv settings but with no joy. All the extra advanced features on the tv are off and it's in game mode.

Later tonight I'll take some pictures of the pixels so you can see the ghosting effect.

Back