HDR video footage?

• Thread starter CodeCmdr
  • 22 comments
Austria
::1
Has any HDR footage of GTS ever been released? I checked on YouTube, and there is nothing. There are one or two which falsely claim to be in HDR, but there's nothing real.

I got my new TV today and was hoping I could view some of that Ferrari red Kaz has been blabbering about. It seems strange to me that they're talking so much about how great HDR/UHD/4K/etc is, but don't actually publish any material in that quality.

Turn 10 Studios released some HDR footage recently and it looks mind-blowing on my new TV.

what exactly does HDR mean(in terms of video games)?

HDR can make displayed images/videos/games look more vivid and realistic. It only works if the source material is HDR and the output display supports HDR, which is why all the non-HDR GTS videos on YouTube don't look particularly impressive on HDR TVs. It's impossible to show off how good HDR looks on non-HDR displays, but this makes an attempt at comparing the visual quality difference:
tout-2.png

you can not see the hdr in the videos, you will not see it for GTS and for other games

I'm not sure what you're saying. Newer games, including GTS, support HDR. HDR-support on YouTube is fairly new, so I guess not much HDR content has been published there, but it does exist. Example:

Last edited:
HDR is not something you can see without a HDR TV or monitor. So it's difficult to show the differences and sell someone on this technology without having them physically in front of a TV with it. I was at PAX West over the weekend where GT Sport was there and running on 4K TVs with HDR, and the graphics were beautiful. It was an incredible looking game with these settings.

What I don't understand is why the colors for SDR look washed out. Like non HDR displays are incapable of displaying colorful light. It's almost like they're purposely limiting or skewing it just to compare to what they want to push to market. For example there are plenty of times GT6 looked better in terms of lighting than the above SDR example, which makes it look like a nuclear ash sky by comparison.

Case in point - I'm sure HDR is better, but let's not pretend it's the only way to produce nice colors and lighting all of the sudden.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why the colors for SDR look washed out. Like non HDR displays are incapable of displaying colorful light. It's almost like they're purposefully limiting it just to compare to what they want to push to market. For example there are plenty of times GT6 looked better in terms of lighting than the above SDR example, which makes it look like a nuclear ash sky by comparison.
They are. They make the SDR look much worse than it really looks to try and simulate the HDR version on none HDR screens.

What I don't understand is why the colors for SDR look washed out. Like non HDR displays are incapable of displaying colorful light. It's almost like they're purposely limiting or skewing it just to compare to what they want to push to market. For example there are plenty of times GT6 looked better in terms of lighting than the above SDR example, which makes it look like a nuclear ash sky by comparison.

Case in point - I'm sure HDR is better, but let's not pretend it's the only way to produce nice colors and lighting all of the sudden.

Those SDR vs HDR comparison graphics only attempt to give an idea what sort of quality upgrade you can expect from an HDR display, because an SDR display cannot display an HDR image. Of course SDR displays are capable of showing colorful scenes, but HDR displays can display colors and scene areas that emit light (e.g. the sky, car headlights, explosions) much more vividly and intensely. The upgrade is very significant, at least with a good OLED HDR display. The cheapest HDR displays may actually be worse than the best non-HDR display - the quality standards aren't very strict, unfortunately.

HDR is not something you can see without a HDR TV or monitor. So it's difficult to show the differences and sell someone on this technology without having them physically in front of a TV with it. I was at PAX West over the weekend where GT Sport was there and running on 4K TVs with HDR, and the graphics were beautiful. It was an incredible looking game with these settings.

Good to hear that!

I think the OP was asking for links to downloadable media that includes HDR metadata, which then can be played on appropriate displays. You can stream HDR videos but not all displays support YouTube HDR, my lg doesn't :(

I too am interested in downloading high quality 4K/HDR videos of GTSport but they don't seem to exist. Game is coming soon enough though.

EU beta with HDR on - you can tell, because it will look saturated on a normal monitor

Unfortunately, those aren't HDR videos either. Maybe the guy who made them had HDR turned on on his TV, but that wasn't encoded into the video or uploaded with that data to YouTube.

HDR seems to be fairly new on YouTube, and they don't actually give any indication whether a video is HDR-enabled or not, like they do with resolution and frame-rate. The only way one can be sure is to play it back on an HDR-enabled display, and then check the display's current output. My TV, for example, shows a special HDR-icon in the top right when an HDR source gets shown. It shows that when I play back the Uncharted video from Digital Foundry I posted above, but not with these GTS videos.

From last week news:

"Google has launched YouTube HDR (high dynamic range) support for several mobile devices. Supported smartphones currently include the Samsung Galaxy S8, Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus, Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Google Pixel, LG V30, Sony Xperia XZ Premium."

"HDR is an advanced display and image mastering technology that offers expanded brightness to improve contrast between dark and light aspects of an image, bringing out deeper black levels and more realistic details in specular highlights -- like the sun reflecting off of an ocean -- in specially graded HDR material. In order to watch HDR YouTube content on supported smartphones, users will need the latest YouTube app update. Once updated, viewers will be able to access HDR playback at resolutions up to 1440p when manually changing the video quality of HDR enabled videos. "

I have now successfully tested HDR on these specific YouTube clips on my Samsung Galaxy S8+.
On these YouTube videos the resolution "HDR" icon successfully shows up on the Youtube app of the Samsung Galaxy S8.

Currently there is some kind of stuttering playback issue on the Galaxy S8/S8+ android YouTube app when selecting 1080p HDR resolution and beyond, but it plays smoothly if you just select 720p HDR resolution.

Last edited:
I think the OP was asking for links to downloadable media that includes HDR metadata, which then can be played on appropriate displays. You can stream HDR videos but not all displays support YouTube HDR, my lg doesn't :(

I too am interested in downloading high quality 4K/HDR videos of GTSport but they don't seem to exist. Game is coming soon enough though.
Even with the game released, it would be awesome to have offline the 4K 60fps 10-bit HDR video files of all the amazing GT Sport trailers released (2015-2016-2017).

Compared to Youtube HDR, the benefits would be higher bitrate, lower compression.

If anyone finds where such GT Sport 4K 60fps 10-bit HDR video files are hosted, please inform : )

P.S.
GT Sport trailers from 2015-2016 were originally released at a time when there was no PS4 Pro HDR or PS4 HDR, just the base PS4 model (before its HDR firmware upgrade), and PD were still developing the game for a 2016 release on the base PS4, so less chances to find these trailers 4K HDR versions, but still possible.
GT Sport Trailers from 2017 were then released at a time when PS4 Pro HDR and PS4 HDR were already available, and PD was actively developing the game for PS4 Pro in mind, so then more chances to find these trailers 4K HDR versions.

Last edited:
HDR is the single biggest graphical improvement this generation.

You can bump up the resolution all you want, but HDR extracts the detail already in the game. By allowing you to see the the darkest darks, and brightest brights, detail that was previously 'lost' as one block of colour, is now visible. Anyone who's recently played Battlefield 1 after the HDR update can see for themselves how a 12 month old game, that was starting to look a little drab, now looks spectacular.

I have the LG OLED55B6V and games in HDR looks absolutely stunning. Difference with HDR on or off is much more noticable then 1080p > 4K.
Can't wait to get my hands on GT Sport and running that in 4K HDR on my LG and PS4 Pro!

And on November 7th I can enjoy Forza Motorsport 7 in native 4K HDR! :gtpflag:

I have the LG OLED55B6V and games in HDR looks absolutely stunning. Difference with HDR on or off is much more noticable then 1080p > 4K.
Can't wait to get my hands on GT Sport and running that in 4K HDR on my LG and PS4 Pro!

And on November 7th I can enjoy Forza Motorsport 7 in native 4K HDR! :gtpflag:
Same TV as mine. Stunning TV! Have you downloaded the two FM7 vids from here http://gamersyde.com/news_forza_7_in_hdr_on_gamersyde_-19287_en.html

Stick them on a memory stick, plug them into the usb port on the TV and enjoy!

Same TV as mine. Stunning TV! Have you downloaded the two FM7 vids from here http://gamersyde.com/news_forza_7_in_hdr_on_gamersyde_-19287_en.html

Yeah, those Forza 7 HDR videos look amazing.

I checked out the GTS HDR YouTube videos mentioned by @Haiej and can confirm that they play back with HDR (on my LG C7V). The PSX 2016 and Tag Heuer videos look very nice. The Porsche ones are a bit bleak. I think YouTube just compresses the videos too much, so that even at 4K and HDR they don't comparable in quality to the original source. The Uncharted: Lost Legacy HDR video from Digital Foundry also doesn't look great on YouTube.

Forgot to watch them! Will do that immediately! Thanks for the reminder.

Yeah, those Forza 7 HDR videos look amazing.

I checked out the GTS HDR YouTube videos mentioned by @Haiej and can confirm that they play back with HDR (on my LG C7V). The PSX 2016 and Tag Heuer videos look very nice. The Porsche ones are a bit bleak. I think YouTube just compresses the videos too much, so that even at 4K and HDR they don't comparable in quality to the original source. The Uncharted: Lost Legacy HDR video from Digital Foundry also doesn't look great on YouTube.
Yeah, unfortunate that the B6V doesn't support YouTube HDR app.

Back