Headtracking - room set-up?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wbrinkman
  • 13 comments
  • 3,179 views
Messages
458
Messages
wbrinkman
Can anyone with a working headtracking tell of the requirements to get it working properly?
Would you need to sit right in front of your TV set and camera to register your face properly (less than 1 meter away), or is it possible to track your face from a bit of a distance as well? (1.5, or even 2 meters)

Also, do you need to sit straight in front of the TV set?
If you'd be watching the TV set from an angle, is it able to recalibrate so it will register your angled face as "looking straight forward"?


Or in short: is it worth it spending money on a PSEye camera when you do not have a playseat parked in front of your TV?

👍
 
I've got a pseye. Wednesday or maybe thursday I'll test headtracking.
 
I just bought an eye yesterday for this and now I'm also wondering where I can position it to work. Hopefully someone with the game early can tell us.
 
Good question hoping to find that out soon to!:)
 
ive wondered what the point was..

imagine: you have the pseye placed on top of your tv, facing straight towards the couch / gameseat ect.

then you sit there, facing straight ahead, you turn your head left to see a car passing by you... the cam angle ingame turns left and reveals the car.. (nice!)
but you turn left too, being unable to see the game at all? (e.g. facing out the window or into the wall)

i imagine for this feature to be even remotely useful, you need a triple monitor setup...
i have that on my pc.. and i can only say that .. yes its nice, but if everything started moving i'd get completely dizzy. (e.g. moving with my head - and not with the "mouse" or whatever controls the viewpoint)

imagine if the whole world turned, when you turned your head? its not very nice.
rather have just the head turning and no change to anything.

BUT ... its just a feature. try it.. :P i dont have have the pseye. just stating what i think..

might be cool with the 3D though...
 
ive wondered what the point was..

imagine: you have the pseye placed on top of your tv, facing straight towards the couch / gameseat ect.

then you sit there, facing straight ahead, you turn your head left to see a car passing by you... the cam angle ingame turns left and reveals the car.. (nice!)
but you turn left too, being unable to see the game at all? (e.g. facing out the window or into the wall)

i imagine for this feature to be even remotely useful, you need a triple monitor setup...
i have that on my pc.. and i can only say that .. yes its nice, but if everything started moving i'd get completely dizzy. (e.g. moving with my head - and not with the "mouse" or whatever controls the viewpoint)

imagine if the whole world turned, when you turned your head? its not very nice.
rather have just the head turning and no change to anything.

BUT ... its just a feature. try it.. :P i dont have have the pseye. just stating what i think..

might be cool with the 3D though...

its proportionate, i think u tilt/turn your head a little to the left and it will look a lot further to the left.
 
It tracks movement parallel to the screen not the turning of your head. If you lean to the left the on screen view looks to the left, I just hope it is gradual.

Personally I don't see this as a great feature, have you ever watched someone play when they really get into the game or had someone make fun of you when you really get into the game? Most of us move around as we play which would make our view change, as long as we move like we would in a car that would be fine but without g forces that's unlikely to happen.

I think that I would need to focus on my movements if tracking was on and it might be distracting.
 
7HO
It tracks movement parallel to the screen not the turning of your head. If you lean to the left the on screen view looks to the left, I just hope it is gradual.

Personally I don't see this as a great feature, have you ever watched someone play when they really get into the game or had someone make fun of you when you really get into the game? Most of us move around as we play which would make our view change, as long as we move like we would in a car that would be fine but without g forces that's unlikely to happen.

I think that I would need to focus on my movements if tracking was on and it might be distracting.

judging from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9NQXKv3rIo (30 seconds in)
he´s just turning his head so i believe it tracks head turning!
 
so anyone got this up and running??
I am wondering too why i can't get it to work??
 
judging from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9NQXKv3rIo (30 seconds in)
he´s just turning his head so i believe it tracks head turning!

I may be wrong, I have seen other videos where guys are turning their head, I can't remember the source but I read that it is side to side movement. What I have seen in all the head tracking videos are times when guys turn their head and nothing happens on screen but usually when they turn their head there is a slight lean as well.

I guess we will find out when we get it.
 
I shall not use head tracking as i find it disorientating , i hated Track IR for that , which i have profiled for WRC 2010 on the pc and it is a nasty headache causer , GT5 could cause the same issues for me especially with high speed movement.
 
Back