Heart Rate (HR) during FIA

United States
California
todally_lit
So I recently got a fitness tracker and I was curious about my heart rate during races. I know anecdotally that before a grid start my heart just pounds away and that after a particularly hard fought clean race the back of my shirt is soaked and my hair is damp from sweat. I have to use a fan during the race, and I leave the fan on to dry the seat afterwards (ewe).

Now I have data on FIA Manu round 7 at Monza top split: Q12, P6 peak HR 151, average HR ~135 during race, race ends and HR plummets back to 100ish range, my resting HR is in the 60-65 range.

Has anyone tracked their HR? is HR supposed to be relatively low during a race - after all, are you not supposed to be "relaxed" and making smooth inputs?

I've yet to gather data on a race against AI, but I'm pretty sure HR is lower since my shirt is not all sweaty afterwards - I'll gather that up in the next few days.

Last edited:
A lower heart rate keeps you calmer and less likely to make mistakes under pressure. Beta blockers keep your heart rate lower and this is why are on the FIA banned list. Being on beta blockers is a hindrance in physical sports but not where you need precision and a steady hand and this is why they are also banned by archery, shooting, billiards etc.

Interesting, I just found this link to someone that took HR data back in 2012 while playing F1 2011 game. Their data (peaks around 150, with average HR around 125) was similar to what I noticed on my own HR .

http://simracing.rocks/2012/4/18/effects-of-sim-racing-on-the-body

I prob should have included the HR graph below for the FIA Manu race at Monza with my original post.

1631073305884.png

So There are comments about how the best really are more relaxed, now I want to see their data :)

Interesting, I just found this link to someone that took HR data back in 2012 while playing F1 2011 game. Their data (peaks around 150, with average HR around 125) was similar to what I noticed on my own HR .

http://simracing.rocks/2012/4/18/effects-of-sim-racing-on-the-body

I prob should have included the HR graph below for the FIA Manu race at Monza with my original post.

View attachment 1078781

So There are comments about how the best really are more relaxed, now I want to see their data :)
Not sure if there is any data out there on GTS guys but Nascar has been doing this for a few races now. Its crazy how those dudes can stay in the 100 bpm range and be wheel to wheel at 180.

A lower heart rate keeps you calmer and less likely to make mistakes under pressure. Beta blockers keep your heart rate lower and this is why are on the FIA banned list. Being on beta blockers is a hindrance in physical sports but not where you need precision and a steady hand and this is why they are also banned by archery, shooting, billiards etc.
Interesting, didn't know it's a banned substance. I guess it's also banned in the game's FIA races but there's no way to police it unless you're at a live event.

Interesting, didn't know it's a banned substance. I guess it's also banned in the game's FIA races but there's no way to police it unless you're at a live event.
The amount of guys who race with a few drinks or other substances in them is also pretty high (no pun intended).

But is testing something they do for the World Finals? They guys never seemed to blink when the camera would pan to them.

But is testing something they do for the World Finals? They guys never seemed to blink when the camera would pan to them.
I don't imagine them drug testing drivers in the World Tours, to be honest... I guess they do take some energy drinks or other caffeinated drinks, added to natural concentration, that's maybe why they don't blink. Or maybe they really are aliens... :lol:

@Tidgney also eats chocolate the night before, which is also legal. ;)

I don't imagine them drug testing drivers in the World Tours, to be honest... I guess they do take some energy drinks or other caffeinated drinks, added to natural concentration, that's maybe why they don't blink. Or maybe they really are aliens... :lol:

I believe anything energetic would be counter-productive in racing. The calmer you stay, the better!

Chocolate is fine though :D

I have a formula I drink before competing or if I need an extra bit of performance :).

Chocolate is for memory but I don't have that on tour :embarrassed:!

Also just to keep with the thread, I used to put my heart rate on the screen all the time, not sure it jumped to insane. I know at the world finals they showed my heart rate (1 of them we wore monitors, well actually they just grabbed my watches signal!) and I was just a steady under a 100 from memory.

Last edited:
hmmm, I'm still curious about the top player's heart rates. I ran across a research paper which suggests high heart rates for esports players run pretty high during tournaments (average among all players was131, with average peak among all players of 188) I think it would be in PlayStation's interest to fund some research on health benefits of gaming, and I'd love to see data specifically on Gran Tursimo

MotoGP record and sometimes show the heartrate of the riders. Those guys do quite a serious workout during races, some of them averaging at like 160 BPM.

When I'm sim racing at home, I start sweating after a while, especially during competitive races. I'll try to remember to put on my Polar watch and measure my heartrate next time just to see how high it really gets.

hmmm, I'm still curious about the top player's heart rates. I ran across a research paper which suggests high heart rates for esports players run pretty high during tournaments (average among all players was131, with average peak among all players of 188) I think it would be in PlayStation's interest to fund some research on health benefits of gaming, and I'd love to see data specifically on Gran Tursimo

I'm no world tour god but I'll try and do some of our NA top split races this season with my heart rate tracker hooked up for fun and science! Maybe we can compare and you'll find out why I drive like a nervous wreck! (hint: it's cause I am one)

So I recently got a fitness tracker and I was curious about my heart rate during races. I know anecdotally that before a grid start my heart just pounds away and that after a particularly hard fought clean race the back of my shirt is soaked and my hair is damp from sweat. I have to use a fan during the race, and I leave the fan on to dry the seat afterwards (ewe).

Now I have data on FIA Manu round 7 at Monza top split: Q12, P6 peak HR 151, average HR ~135 during race, race ends and HR plummets back to 100ish range, my resting HR is in the 60-65 range.

Has anyone tracked their HR? is HR supposed to be relatively low during a race - after all, are you not supposed to be "relaxed" and making smooth inputs?

I've yet to gather data on a race against AI, but I'm pretty sure HR is lower since my shirt is not all sweaty afterwards - I'll gather that up in the next few days.
I tried this a while back in a racing league I was in. My resting HR at the time was around 43-45, and my heart rate didn't go above 105 during the race, starting around 85. So obviously it was elevated for the race but not "racing". I haven't tried testing it during a daily race or FIA race though, but I assume it would be around the same.

Back