Heathers moms 1973 Mustang.

  • Thread starter Thread starter CAMAROBOY69
  • 16 comments
  • 972 views

CAMAROBOY69

Premium
Messages
18,565
United States
Michigan
Messages
CAMAROBOY69
I posted this in the "what have you done to your car today thread" but thought it should get some proper attention in a thread of its own.
I got this car last year and did several hundred hours of work. The body was quite rough and required a lot of metal to be replaced. The car is also painted inside and out of every panel besides the engine compartment.
As promised, here are some pics of Heather's moms 1973 Mustang. Her mom picked the paint and the paint scheme. She wanted that green with flat black stripes and a flat black spoiler. Its not finished but these are the most recent pics after all of the very hard work I have been talking about in my latest posts.

Things still left to do.
1. Paint any of the blue interior black to match the car.
2. Lower the front at least 2-3"
3. New wheels!
4. Pull engine and paint engine compartment
5. New chrome tips








These are all pics of what it used to look like before I replaced all the bad metal, primered, sanded, repainted, and buffed the car.





 
Never really cared for the body styles on that year. I like the 1970 better IMO. That one looks pretty good though. The color is unique and looks right out of '73. Its great to hear that people are restoring older American muscle cars. Great work!:)
 
good job! interesting colour choice
what wheels you going for? torq thrust? slot mags? :D
 
good job! interesting colour choice
what wheels you going for? torq thrust? slot mags? :D


Mmmm... Ansen Slot Mags and an early seventies car scream win.

Nice work. 👍👍
 
So wait, did u sand and buff the car with the paint on?
 
Discorific!

It really does look sharp, and I do like that color on it.
 
Looks good except that the front bumper is not chrome while the rear is... 👍
 
Thanks for all the replies. I also dont like that year Mustang very much but its her moms car so whatever she wanted done is what I did to it. She wanted that color green with flat black stripes and a flat black rear spoiler. She also wanted the rear bumper chrome so thats what I did with it.
good job! interesting colour choice
what wheels you going for? torq thrust? slot mags? :D
Her mom said she will be putting some sort of chrome wheels on it. She doesnt have any money at all so I assume she will probably get some cheap chrome wheels.
So wait, did u sand and buff the car with the paint on?
Yes I put over 24-26 hours over the last 2 weeks wet sanding and buffing the paint. I start with 1000 grit then use 1,500 grit. Followed by buffing with compound. Thats how you get a car to be more shiny than a brand new car. Its how professionals get that glass look. Here is the compund I used with the buffer. It will get even more shiny the more she waxes and washes the car.

Looks good except that the front bumper is not chrome while the rear is... 👍
I told her she should paint the rear bumper to match the front but she wanted chrome so thats what she got. It will look better once she gets new chrome wheels.
 
I told her she should paint the rear bumper to match the front but she wanted chrome so thats what she got. It will look better once she gets new chrome wheels.

See, I would have paid through the rear to get the front chromed.

Painted bumpers don't look right when they were originally chrome.
 
See, I would have paid through the rear to get the front chromed.

Painted bumpers don't look right when they were originally chrome.
Not sure if you knew but most of those 73 Mustangs (including her 73 Mustang) came from the factory with the front bumper painted and a chrome rear bumper.
 
Not sure if you knew but most of those 73 Mustangs (including her 73 Mustang) came from the factory with the front bumper painted and a chrome rear bumper.

No I did not. However... I get the feeling we're not going for concours here. (IE it isn't going to be absolutely faithful to stock anyhow)

The chrome grill surround and bumper would look much better, if not perfectly kosher to have on a '73 (though I'm sure it would fit).
 
No I did not. However... I get the feeling we're not going for concours here. (IE it isn't going to be absolutely faithful to stock anyhow)

The chrome grill surround and bumper would look much better, if not perfectly kosher to have on a '73 (though I'm sure it would fit).
Exactly. Never in my life have I ever been about restoring a car to stock. Every car I have ever built or worked on has all been custom. Whatever the customer wants is what they get. :)
 
Oh. I didn't know you could sand the paint and without taking if off. I'll remember that 👍
 
Oh. I didn't know you could sand the paint and without taking if off. I'll remember that 👍
Yes just make sure you dont start any lower then 1,000 grit or you will take the paint right off. I always suggest starting with 1,500 grit wet sand paper. Then use a nice liquid buffing compound like I showed above in post #8. The buffing only takes a few minutes but the sanding can take about an hour or 2 hours per panel. Also make sure you use a wet sanding block, dont use your hands or fingers.
Most people dont know but almost every car comes from the factory with a little orange peel in it. This sanding process removes all of that and makes the paint like glass.
 
Oh. I didn't know you could sand the paint and without taking if off. I'll remember that 👍
I don't recommend you try it. Buffing a car is a complicated process, especially for someone who apparently hasn't even heard of it.


Don't sand your car.
 
I don't recommend you try it. Buffing a car is a complicated process, especially for someone who apparently hasn't even heard of it.


Don't sand your car.

I'd heard of buffing, but not the sanding.

I wouldn't take something that's possibly murder for my paint without knowing how to do it first.
 
I'd heard of buffing, but not the sanding.

I wouldn't take something that's possibly murder for my paint without knowing how to do it first.

Just try it on your friend's car first ;)
 
Back