Heidfeld to be Mercedes test and reserve driver in 2010 season

  • Thread starter Thread starter GM
  • 21 comments
  • 4,995 views

GM

Messages
4,103
Messages
George0393 + GTP_GM
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-news/226578/heidfeld-adds-to-team-germany-at-mercedes/

After Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher, the Mercedes Grand Prix team has signed up former BMW Sauber driver Nick Heidfeld. The German becomes the team's test and reserve driver as of this season, his Manager has confirmed.

Heidfeld will be presented to invited guests and media during Mercedes´ team launch in Stuttgart on Monday. Speaking about the upcoming challenge as the team's test and reserve driver, Manager Andre Theuerzeit spoke to German magazine Bild.

"Nick will fully concentrate on supporting the team's main drivers as the team's test and reserve driver," Theuerzeit explained. "Nick focused on a (race) seat with one of the top teams but unfortunately we were unable to sign him up."

I guess this also makes Petrov or Grosjean to get second driver seat at Renault..
 
That report is written off an article by Auto Bild that Heidfeld's manager issued a retraction for within hours. GP Update haven't corrected it yet because they're a long way down the grapevine. I'd still say Heidfeld is likely for a Mercedes testing and reserve role, though. We'll probably know tomorrow when Mercedes resent their team for the first time in Stuttgart (except that their 2010 car isn't ready - they're lauching their livery on a BGP-001).

I'm pretty sure Vitaly Petrov will get the second Renault seat. I don't think Grosjean was ever really a viable prospect for them, anyway.
 
I'm pretty sure Vitaly Petrov will get the second Renault seat. I don't think Grosjean was ever really a viable prospect for them, anyway.

And what makes Vitaly such a promising prospect? The fact that he is Russian?
 
And that's what everyone thought about Grosjean :lol:

Romain's track record was better looking than Petrov's in GP2...so I don't see how one can assume that Petrov will be more successful in F1 than Grosjean.
 
But saying the fact he is Russian means he has potential was a silly thing to say.

Thats like saying Grosjean will give up half way through a race because he is French...
 
You missed the sarcasm (in the details) because the question was not directed toward you to begin with. I made that comment because interludes is Russian, and seems to like to put Petrov on a special pedestal (potentially the first ever Russian F1 driver) from post I've seen from him in the past.

If you look at interludes comment, he basically implies that Grosjean never had the potential to be successful to begin with, yet for some reason Petrov does (which is a "silly thing to say"), despite having a resume in GP2 and other racing series that is arguably worse than Grosjean's.
 
Last edited:
Ah ok then I apologies for that.

But point stands I think he has alot of talent to be alright in F1.
 
But point stands I think he has alot of talent to be alright in F1.

I agree, but whether he can be successful is going to have to wait to be seen though. Everyone thought Piquet Jr. and Grosjean were promising prospects who would do quite well, yet they completely flopped once they got in an F1 seat.
 
The list of "promising talent that failed to impress" is a rather long one....Toro Rosso appear to want to only add to that list with their poor driver management skills and complete lack of respect to what remains of the poor driver's reputation when they hang him out.

The 2nd Renault seat seems cursed of late, though this is probably more to do with Flavio and Alonso being around. Although I've made fun of Grosjean lately, I think he deserves a full season and some decent testing mileage before being judged. What a waste of talent otherwise.
People complain about too many of the drivers being old and taking up all the seats, but if the teams keep bringing in drivers who are far too young and inexperienced like Alguersuari and kicking rookies out without giving them a chance, the rookies are never going to get a foothold without being the next Hamilton.

Renault should either take Grosjean, Sato or Heidfeld, they are all worthy of the seat for various reasons. Petrov can take the Campos seat (or Grosjean can, whatever, as long as its not that numpty Soucek).
 
And what makes Vitaly such a promising prospect? The fact that he is Russian?
a) He's not untalented - he came second in the 2009 GP2 season
b) He can develop his abilities - he might have been in GP2 for a while, but he's gone from the back of the grid to the front faster than anyone else
c) He brings fifteen million Euros in sponsorship from Gazprom and Sberbank
 
I like the new livery. Everything looks good to me. I can't wait for the season to get underway already. :D
 
LSX
I like the new livery. Everything looks good to me. I can't wait for the season to get underway already. :D

I agree - not normally a fan of grey... but it's very subtle - hopefully they won't sign a too colourful sponsor that will over power it!!

(Can't wait for the season either - hoping the Beeb gets their HD plans in line)

C.
 
I agree - not normally a fan of grey... but it's very subtle - hopefully they won't sign a too colourful sponsor that will over power it!!

(Can't wait for the season either - hoping the Beeb gets their HD plans in line)

C.

Firstly, the silver (grey? where do you get that from?) is not subtle - its just the flash of photography which is hiding the colour of the car and the intense lights. Its very much flashy silver, at least its different to McLaren's chrome paint.
I like the car numbers in the circles, been a long time since those have been around.
More pics here:
http://www.formula1.com/gallery/launches/2010/469.html

Secondly, BBC confirmed a while ago that HD is not coming - FOM won't confirm when they will start HD-broadcasts. The current guess is 2011, but no one knows. So, until then, no HD channel for F1 (as its pointless).
 
How come with all the new teams joining Heidfeld is (possibly) being demoted to a test driver?
 
a) He's not untalented - he came second in the 2009 GP2 season
b) He can develop his abilities - he might have been in GP2 for a while, but he's gone from the back of the grid to the front faster than anyone else
c) He brings fifteen million Euros in sponsorship from Gazprom and Sberbank

Yeah, I think that #3 in the list is the most telling. He's decent enough (certainly better than Piquet), but he's no Hulkenberg.

I agree - not normally a fan of grey... but it's very subtle - hopefully they won't sign a too colourful sponsor that will over power it!!

(Can't wait for the season either - hoping the Beeb gets their HD plans in line)

C.

Lee McKenzie tweeted around Christmas that F1 HD will be in towards the end of 2011.
 
How come with all the new teams joining Heidfeld is (possibly) being demoted to a test driver?

Because its his next best choice. He runs the risk of never getting back in, but he may have a chance of replacing one of the current Mercedes drivers.
Its probably mostly because Renault either didn't want Kubica with the same teammate for whatever reason, or they couldn't afford him. The new teams are a risk if they don't make it and will be relegating Nick to the back of the field, they also probably can't afford him when there are more tempting, money-bringing drivers about.
 
Lee McKenzie tweeted around Christmas that F1 HD will be in towards the end of 2011.

Balls... but cheers for the update (you too Ardius).

Bit lame though - F1 is the most expensive sport in the world - yet Football and Rugby can manage HD (Rugby is even in 3D this year)...
[/offtopic]

Firstly, the silver (grey? where do you get that from?) is not subtle - its just the flash of photography which is hiding the colour of the car and the intense lights. Its very much flashy silver, at least its different to McLaren's chrome paint.

Still looks grey to me?!?! - Also still think it looks subtle too... like you say though - the difference between a dark showroom and the track will change it all!!

C.
 
Balls... but cheers for the update (you too Ardius).

Bit lame though - F1 is the most expensive sport in the world - yet Football and Rugby can manage HD (Rugby is even in 3D this year)...
[/offtopic]

Yeah, I tweeted Lee something along the lines of "NASCAR HD since '08. Remind me again: which is the tech leader?"
 
I agree, but whether he can be successful is going to have to wait to be seen though. Everyone thought Piquet Jr. and Grosjean were promising prospects who would do quite well, yet they completely flopped once they got in an F1 seat.

Well, Piquet Jr. had a pretty decent 08 (if you forget singapore.) Lot's of crashes, but some promising performances. Can't really be said for Grosjean... Or Alguersuari for that matter (expect him to be canned halfway through the season unless he performs a lot better than he has).
 
Well, Piquet Jr. had a pretty decent 08 (if you forget singapore.) Lot's of crashes, but some promising performances. Can't really be said for Grosjean... Or Alguersuari for that matter (expect him to be canned halfway through the season unless he performs a lot better than he has).

The only time I ever thought Piquet Jr had some skill lurking in there was when he went wheel-to-wheel with Hamilton at Turkey last year for a few corners and when he managed to get ahead of Alonso for once at France 2008.

Other than that, its been lucky safety car finishes (Germany 2008), crashes and ironic complaints about rookie drivers. Oh and the obvious other big thing....

Grosjean and Alguersuari have not had a full season yet and didn't get any testing before jumping in the cars, Piquet did and had 1 and a half seasons to prove he was terrible. Lets not forget, Piquet wasn't sacked because of Singapore, he was sacked because he was rubbish, the only thing Sinapore revealed was that he would have been sacked sooner if he hadn't done it.
 
Back