Heldenzeit's Garage (Endless Maintenance)

• Thread starter Heldenzeit
  • 1,149 comments
I've read that it's usually the EGR crossover pipe that breaks causing extra heated exhaust gasses to pass into the valley where the starter is located.

200k miles and the car is nearly 30 years so old, so no big deal.

Just saw on Instagram that the Miata is sold? :(
That is correct. Been infected by the Porsche disease from work!
20170606_181948.jpg

If I could afford a 996 I'd probably have bought one by now. Does seem like a natural progression from an MX-5.

I actually think I know more people with 996s than I do with MX-5s, too.

That one looks like a nice example. Quite a fan of the facelift model.

Is this going to get the Heldenzeit treatment as well?

That rear engined life! Big upgrade, looks great. Already has that fastback look like the Miata although I probably shouldn't call the shape of a 911 a fastback. The 996 is my favorite generation modern 911.

Looking forward to see what you do with the car.

Is it still a normal Porsche can oil filter that will spin on now, or does it convert to a more common can oil filter? I'm pretty intrigued by it because of how many cartridge oil filter changes we have to do at work now.

Is it still a normal Porsche can oil filter that will spin on now, or does it convert to a more common can oil filter? I'm pretty intrigued by it because of how many cartridge oil filter changes we have to do at work now.

It's a common store bought can type. I'll take a pic next time I'm under it. The adapter is made by LN Engineering.

The exhaust sits too far out and 997 look tails aren't really my cup of tea.. Although there's a 997 locally with red tinted tails, that really looks good so maybe an idea..

Other than that I'm stoked.. The interior is almost too clean to mess with.. :cool:

The exhaust sits too far out and 997 look tails aren't really my cup of tea.. Although there's a 997 locally with red tinted tails, that really looks good so maybe an idea..

Other than that I'm stoked.. The interior is almost too clean to mess with.. :cool:

I agree, both are things I want to change. Hope you get the 997!

Couple updates.

OEM GT3 suspension. Needs front endlink collars, and rear adjustable toe links to work properly, but for $850 it's a good start.
20171027_195804.jpg

Replaced the door latch mechanism and the microswitches in the door handles. This fixes the random drop window I was getting on the driver side.
20171101_203453.jpg
20171101_202452.jpg
20171101_201730.jpg

Had a very, very brief drive in a 996 GT3 a couple of weeks ago.

Was enough to make me intensely jealous of anyone with even a normal 996 now...

Yes!! I look forward to coilovers update!

Also you should have a look at how the rear euro bumper looks. The humps/overriders actually look a little offensive haha. If it's like the 997 you need the rebar as well but you will save weight while you'e at it. Considering how 996s probably will appreciate in value it seems wise to be able to return the car to stock in the future though.

Yes!! I look forward to coilovers update!

Also you should have a look at how the rear euro bumper looks. The humps/overriders actually look a little offensive haha. If it's like the 997 you need the rebar as well but you will save weight while you'e at it. Considering how 996s probably will appreciate in value it seems wise to be able to return the car to stock in the future though.
Yeah I've looked into it. The US rear bumper is pretty gross. Changing the front bumper is higher on my to do list though.

Amazing how the wheels and the slight drop change the whole attitude in the cars looks.

Looking awesome!

Let me know how long your swaybar links last before the ball joints start to wear out. Mine have already started to go after only a few short years. Not the same product but the same exposed ball joint design.

Back