Hello GTPlanet from Florida!

United States
Fort Myers, Florida
Hello, my name is @The Dolphin.

First of all, I have to tell you been stalking lurking with an active account since May of 2013, but I decided to change that right now (mostly because someone realized I exist and decided to briefly follow me sometime this past week, I'm not naming names:grumpy:).

Anyways, here is a little bit about me: I'm a 21-year-old Puerto Rican/Dominican-American man (who can't articulate a sentence in Spanish) from Fort Myers, Florida.

Let me answer some questions:
  • How did you find :gtplanet:?
    • I honestly don't remember. I think it was something along the lines of me looking for information and discussions on Gran Turismo 5 before it was released in 2010.
  • Where are you from?
    • Like I said before, I was born and raised in Fort Myers, Florida, a city roughly halfway between Tampa and Miami in a region called Southwest Florida (though I did live in Miami for two semesters at a university). The only automotive-related attractions here that I can think of is the winter estates of Thomas Edison and Henry Ford near downtown Fort Myers, and a private car collection in Naples that may-or-may-not have a 1967 Eagle Mk1 F1 car in the collection (don't quote me on this). My nearest road course is Sebring International Raceway, about a couple of hours towards the north and inland (though I've never been there).
  • When did you start playing the Gran Turismo games?
    • I honestly don't completely remember this either. I guess it was in the early 2000s that I first played what I think was a demo for either PS1 GT game (leaning towards GT2) in the basement of my sister's house in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
  • Do you play with a steering wheel?
    • I one point years ago, I did. It was a cheap PS2 wheel that had paddle shifters that felt uncomfortable (I had to wear baseball batting gloves). I only really used it for TOCA Race Driver 3, because my PS2 wouldn't play GT4 for some reason.:( I eventually broke my wheel because of a temper tantrum (I felt troubled as a child). I anticipate buying a wheel for Project CARS (I have my eye on a Thrustmaster T300RS).
  • What other games do you enjoy?
    • I primarily enjoy racing games (of course) and open world games that have vehicles and are mostly rooted in reality (like GTA). I played games on systems from the Nintendo 64 to the PS4, and a little bit of PC gaming (it was mostly NASCAR Racing 4).
  • What are you most looking forward to doing in the community, now that you're a part of this site?
    • First of all, I would like to thank @Jordan for such a magnificent website, it makes me want to be a part of this community even more. I would like to participate in some discussions around the forums (mostly in the Rumble Strip and the Motorsports forums) and have friends to race with and against.
All-in-all, I look forward to meeting the diverse range of members in this community.

:dopey::gtpflag::dopey:

Great avatar, and a wonderful intro.
BTW - ever watched Dolphin's Tale?
Count me in as one of the 'diverse' members - and welcome to our community. :cheers:

Thank you for the warm welcome, everybody!:cheers::gtpflag:
Great avatar, and a wonderful intro.
BTW - ever watched Dolphin Tale?
Count me in as one of the 'diverse' members - and welcome to our community. :cheers:
Thanks, I made the avatar myself.

I never watched that movie (maybe I should). Why do you ask?

...and a private car collection in Naples that may-or-may-not have a 1967 Eagle Mk1 F1 car in the collection (don't quote me on this).

25 years of living in South Florida, and I was never aware of the Eagle Mk1 in Naples...might make a pilgrimage to this next time I'm in the area.

Welcome to GTPlanet.

I approve of your avatar. Lest ye be a dirty Bucs fan.

25 years of living in South Florida, and I was never aware of the Eagle Mk1 in Naples...might make a pilgrimage to this next time I'm in the area.

Welcome to GTPlanet.

25 years of living in South Florida, and I was never aware of this either. But I looked it up.

eExULZy.jpg

Indeed, Mr. Collier, owner of The Revs Institute, has AAR-104, the Eagle that won the 1967 Belgian GP. He later bought the 1966 AAR-102 and fully restored it with spare parts from the '67. That was the #23 car and he wound up selling it. It has since changed hands a few times, but it looks like the #36 is still in the museum.

Awesome avatar! Welcome. You'll have a lot of fun here. We should race or cruise or something online sometime. Yeah, I wasn't the least bit active until a few months back, but there are tons of good discussions ones to choose from. See ya around.

Welcome to GTPlanet.
Initially, I thought the museum was private, but I checked their website, and it is open to the public, you just need to reserve your tickets ahead of time.

Also, thank you! :cheers:
I approve of your avatar. Lest ye be a dirty Bucs fan.
Thank you!:cheers: I wouldn't have chosen my username and steal borrow from the Dolphins' color palette for my avatar if I wasn't a (very slightly obsessed) Miami Dolphins fan.
25 years of living in South Florida, and I was never aware of this either. But I looked it up.

eExULZy.jpg

Indeed, Mr. Collier, owner of The Revs Institute, has AAR-104, the Eagle that won the 1967 Belgian GP. He later bought the 1966 AAR-102 and fully restored it with spare parts from the '67. That was the #23 car and he wound up selling it. It has since changed hands a few times, but it looks like the #36 is still in the museum.

Nice. Two things about this:
  • This specific car is potentially flammable because it is made from magnesium (with titanium).
  • Mr. Miles Collier was a Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance honorary judge, and his father and uncle were instrumental in the founding of what is now known as the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA).
Awesome avatar! Welcome. You'll have a lot of fun here. We should race or cruise or something online sometime. Yeah, I wasn't the least bit active until a few months back, but there are tons of good discussions ones to choose from. See ya around.
Thank you!:cheers: I would take you up on that offer (depending on the platform and the game(s)).

The Colliers were a rich bunch, but they made a fortune in advertising, then selling their land to the state of Florida but managing to keep in the mineral rights in perpetuity AND they control a lot of the real estate in the area. You've gotta admire such brass-balls ingenuity!

@The Dolphin Welcome to GTP! Awesome introduction. Really.

I have to admit, as a few years have passed, I do not have very many post on GTP. I do WAY more browsing here than posting. I have a lazy thumb for my mobile browsing. I hardly have time to use the computer.

Back