Helmets, Gloves, Shoes etc

• Thread starter StarRacer
  • 27 comments
United States
United States
So I am curious.......how many people on here are using all or some of the above mentioned apparel?
Equally.....how many on here think people who do are absurd?

No right or wrong answers. I recently bought a rig/wheel-pedal set and I'm just really curious about this whole sim racing scene and how far some of you take it.

Last edited:
I have a Fanatec GT DD Pro and with the GT rim I am using gloves, because the rubber feels so bad. I have switched to the McLaren rim a few months back and no longer need to use gloves.
I don't use shoes, but I have to admit I have tried it once with my helmet (but just for fun)

I've got the 8Nm DD Pro with McLaren rim and a load cell. I use Sim Hound gloves and treated myself to a pair of Abruzzi boots for Christmas.

Yes, they came with my seat (Next Level Racing ES1). I'm using them bust they serve no purpose whatsoever
Correct........gloves keep the sweat off of expensive wheels. Racing shoes have thin soles so that would be a benefit too. But helmets? Belts? I don't think there is anything wrong with either although I do find it fascinating when people actually use them.

Is there anyone out there who has installed racing belts (harness) to your rig?
I use a cheap £20 harness on my chair to keep my movements to a minimum, i'm disabled and body constantly twitches and moves a fair bit.
I also wear gloves and used to wear some racing boots but was a pain tying them all the time so just drive in my granddad slippers now :)

Is there anyone out there who has installed racing belts (harness) to your rig?
I got some with my rig, but it's meant for use when you are connected to a motion platform. I never took it out of the box.

I do wear gloves (Fox Racing Airline Motorcross) and shoes (Puma R Cat Machina), and the PSVR2 is kind of like a helmet. Not that I'm trying to go all out for immersion, it's more a feel thing. Gloves make the wheel feel better and shoes make the pedals feel better.

IRL racers only wear helmets, gloves and racing boots because they are regulated to do so for safety reasons. If they didn't have to, i'm sure they'd prefer not to have a helmet on for comfort reasons, but maybe the majority would still wear one because no one wants a head injury.

I can see why sim-racers would use gloves - better grip, less chance of ruining a suede/alcantara wheel with sweaty hands, and a thin-soled shoe or boot - for better pedal feel. But a helmet? they're just not comfortable, so i don't see why you'd want to. You wouldn't wear a bullet-proof vest to play a first person shooter would you?

Last edited:
I use bowling shoes to sim race with, but I did just buy some gloves just to see how it feels.

Jerome

I find it fascinating how many people just ASSUME that I am wearing all this stuff because I asked the question. I will say it again, I am very intrigued at how far some go to immerse themselves. So I am just curious. Nowhere on here did I say I was wearing a helmet or even considering it. Honestly, that seems bizarre as heck to me but doesn't mean you can't do it. People spend ungodly amounts of money on their rig/set-up so it's not inconceivable that they're wearing the full outfit.

Since I own the BMW GT2 v2 wheel and Formula V2.5X with both alcantara, I bought Sparco Meca 3 gloves at Amazon. They will arrive tonight. Very curious how they will feel.
I got some Meca 3 gloves in January as the webbing between my thumb and forefinger was getting sore. After measuring my hands I bought size L. They are very snug and the fingers are on the long side for me. I wish I had got the next size up as I don't like anything tight. I might buy some fingerless MTB gloves to try next. At least I can use them on my bike if they are no good :D

Of course I wear a full fireproof suit. Can't be too careful with all this electrical equipment about. 😉

I might buy some fingerless MTB gloves to try next.
I recently bought these. Best of both worlds really. Three fingers covered for grip with the exposed forefinger and thumb ideal for pressing buttons. Didn't cost much either.

I wear gloves as I have the BMW GT2 wheel, though I use the same gloves I normally wear outdoors, so I could use a pair of decent 'gaming-only' gloves. I also remove my shoes before playing as well, but don't feel the need for racing/gaming shoes.
You wouldn't wear a bullet-proof vest to play a first person shooter would you?
We do in Glasgow.

None of the above although I had looked into the gloves and shoes that they wear at the GTWS live events. I have never used gloves while driving and I am so used to racing in my socks that I could not convince myself to get the shoes.

I am sure it would be an adjustment since racing in shoes or barefoot feel strange to me.

I got some Meca 3 gloves in January as the webbing between my thumb and forefinger was getting sore. After measuring my hands I bought size L. They are very snug and the fingers are on the long side for me. I wish I had got the next size up as I don't like anything tight. I might buy some fingerless MTB gloves to try next. At least I can use them on my bike if they are no good :D
Got size S but they are too snug for me as well. Going to return them and order size M.

Just shoes for me. I wear a pair of DB Groove Drumming shoes. Super thin/form fitting, totally breathable and good grip on the pedals. I found after the first month of using load cell pedals that the ball of my left foot really hurt when playing with socks on. The little bit of padding these shoes provide got rid of any pain and the added grip is nice. It's now really awkward to play with socks on. Feet slide all over the place.

Last edited:
Just shoes for me. I wear a pair of DB Groove Drumming shoes. Super thin/form fitting, totally breathable and good grip on the pedals. I found after the first month of using load cell pedals that the ball of my left foot really hurt when playing with socks on. The little bit of padding these shoes provide got rid of any pain and the added grip is nice. It's now really awkward to play with socks on. Feet slide all over the place.
Drumming shoes.....interesting! I am a bass player so I've got nothing to transfer over to racing lol.

Did a quick experiment. Best of 3 laps in each. XSX, FM7, G923:

FtCvx_RWYAM6kVq.jpeg

Adidas Samba Trainers, £59: 1:54.13

Screenshot 2023-04-07 134150.jpg

Jamron Men's Suede Leather Penny Loafers Comfort Driving Shoes, £30: 1:48.92

Screenshot 2023-04-07 134934.jpg

B&M Men's Slippers, £6: 1:48.64

Screenshot 2023-04-07 134551.jpg

Last edited:
Gloves and shoes is about comfort. Helmet I cant see how it helps in any way of beside immersion. I use vr for that lighter and more comfortable but then I seldom mind unrealistically large fov.

As for Gloves use a dd wheel 20 nm and my Button plates do have sharp metall parts. Its still ok to ra e without though

The pedals are designed around real pedals and also quite stiff so again karting shoes give better comfort and less fatigue

If you're just getting into real racing/autox, it can actually be good practice to use a helmet and racing harness in a sim. If you've never experience these things before, you probably wouldn't realize how difficult a helmet makes hearing your car (therefore making it difficult to know revs without looking at the tac), and how you can barely move while using a harness (can't lean forward to reach the shifter, etc.). These characteristics can be quite intrusive if you're not used to them.

Last edited:
Socks, I want to try some shoes though. My setup is in the basement and my pedals get really cold during the winter.

Back