Help building a decent PC

• Thread starter tikm
  • 24 comments
tikm
Im looking to get into iracing, but since only being able to play it on my low power laptop i have not been able to enjoy as much as i could. Since i don't know much about building computers could you guys give me some advice on building a pc that could run iracing around 100 fps with most of the graphic settings turned on. My budget goal is under $800

Anything with a good processor, a lot of RAM and a decent video card will be just fine. I have an Intel Core i5 at 2.3gHz (IIRC), 4 gb of DDR3 RAM and an NVIDIA GT240 video card and run things just fine on a single-monitor setup. The whole thing cost me $500 US. You could get a better video card and be able to run a triple-screen setup pretty well, but that might take you over-budget when you factor in mouse, keyboard, and the other two monitors.

The 460 is a sold card. just don't be fooled into getting a 560 (not Ti) though, as that is just a rebadged 460 with a way higher price tag.

Anyways, is the 800 everything included? (screen, KB+M, speakers/buds/headphones) or just the barebones box?

I'm building my PC soon as well. i7 Processor, NVIDIA GTX 570, and 8GB of RAM. How many FPS would I be getting at max on iRacing?

Hell with my 460 card I'm well over 100 fps average. Not sure about my fps when there's a full grid tho. I could go play a replay to check but then the physics sim isnt running is my guess so that's not help either.

Then again I turned off the extra shadow stuff cause it never made a difference to my eyes

in october i built a pc with the following specs costing me 900 euro.

i5 2600K 3.7ghz
8GB Ram
Sapphire 6970 2GB Ram

and im getting 150 FPS on average on each track on single screen setup

@somebodysb2 i already have a monitor, speakers, wheel, keyboard and mouse all i need is a desktop
Also i am only going to use 1 monitor. is it cheaper to build a pc yourself or get a prebuilt one

Last edited:
I'm building my PC soon as well. i7 Processor, NVIDIA GTX 570, and 8GB of RAM. How many FPS would I be getting at max on iRacing?

I have the same exact rig.
30fps on BF3 1080p max'ed out MSAA 16x

that roughly equals gazillion fps in iRacing.

BTW: unless you are doing high end rendering & encoding (ie: its your job), save some cash and get a 2500K i5 instead of i7.

More than enough. There might be one or two things you need to disable.

Im looking at building a pc as well but I would like it to display on my 32"LCD TV rather than a dedicated monitor. Would I have to get a more powerful GPU to push the bigger display?

Brock1Samson9
Im looking at building a pc as well but I would like it to display on my 32"LCD TV rather than a dedicated monitor. Would I have to get a more powerful GPU to push the bigger display?

What kind of gpu you looking at? It really shouldn't be a problem though.

I'm running a gtx 260m in my laptop connected to a 37 in. at 1080p with no problem. Graphics are all on except for some shadowing and shaders. This gpu is also a few years old now so I would imagine a newer high end gpu won't even sweat.

Could someone tell me what is the least powerful PC you've used it on that it was still playable? Here is my rig.

I have:
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor

2.6GHZ

4.5 GB RAM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (build 7600), 64-bit

You Have: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Stats on the card: Required You Have
Video RAM 256 MB 1.9 GB
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 3.0 3.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0 3.0

Direct X11.0

Sound Card
Realtek High Definition Audio

Free Disk Space
Minimum: 6 GB

plate88
What kind of gpu you looking at? It really shouldn't be a problem though.

I'm running a gtx 260m in my laptop connected to a 37 in. at 1080p with no problem. Graphics are all on except for some shadowing and shaders. This gpu is also a few years old now so I would imagine a newer high end gpu won't even sweat.

I don't have one in mind at the moment, I'm just wondering roughly what I might be spending. I'm just looking to be able to run iRacing and RFactor2 at max (or close to) settings.

Anybody have suggestions for a computer to run IRacing that would work on a PJ. I think it would need to have HDMI out. I'd like it to work with my pioneer 7.1 receiver and JVC RS10 pj. What kind of budget?

Here is my revised list. Tell me if it would be good.

Intel Core i7-950 3.06 GHz 8 MB
AMD Radeon 6950 2GB GDDR5
Intel DX58SO Extreme Series X58 ATX Triple-channel DDR3 16GB SLI or CrossFireX
8GB DDR3 RAM
750 Watt PSU
Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive
1TB SATA III 7200 RPM

Would this run iRacing well?

8GB DDR3 RAM
750 Watt PSU
Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive
1TB SATA III 7200 RPM

yes it wil.

8GB DDR3 RAM
750 Watt PSU
Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive
1TB SATA III 7200 RPM

A LGA1366 system isn't a great idea, it's a dead platform, Swap the 950 for a 2500k and the DX58SO for a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P.

I went with an i7-950 last june, and although it is fast, i wish I would have went with a 2500 or 2600K CPU. With the 950 their is nowhere else to go, and the newer CPUs are a good bit faster. If I would have known more about building a computer then, I would have definitely went with the newer one. I don't think there's really even any price difference is there?

I would also like to suggest that if you can fit a little more money in, to get an SSD drive to run windows. Adding an SSD is easily the biggest upgrade anyone can do to a computer. It will simply amaze you at how fast it is with an SSD. I honestly didn't think computers could be as fast as mine is at doing tasks. It boots up from being completely turned off in about 8-10 seconds. Anything you click on opens up instantly, and any games you put on it have almost no loading times. If you can swing 200$ you could get a 120 gig, and that would let you put a few games on it, but if not a 60gig would be worth getting just to install windows on. You really won't be able to believe the difference one will make. After using one you'll never want a normal HDD for your OS again.

Just my 2 cents, I always say go for the middle of road as far as PC parts go. Not too old and NOT the latest and greatest.

BUT...if you are looking for just a PC that runs iRacing, you dont need much. I am using my old PC Intel Q6600, Asus P5N-D, 4 gig GSkill ram, and an 8800GTS, and iRacing runs smooth at full settings. Now I have the CPU and GPU overclocked and under some water, but still. You can get a PC like that for dirt cheap.

8GB DDR3 RAM
750 Watt PSU
Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive
1TB SATA III 7200 RPM

That's a winner of a PC Crispy, whoever reccomended those parts knows what they're talking about (hope it wasn't me in an earlier post :D).

What's the bill for all of those parts? I have an identical processor btw.

A LGA1366 system isn't a great idea, it's a dead platform, Swap the 950 for a 2500k and the DX58SO for a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P.
👍

That's a winner of a PC Crispy, whoever reccomended those parts knows what they're talking about (hope it wasn't me in an earlier post :D).

What's the bill for all of those parts? I have an identical processor btw.
I think it is a pretty poor choice personally if you are buying new.

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
by Gigabyte-$155

Intel Core i7-2600K Processor-$320

Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2 GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 100311-2SR-$340

NZXT Guardian Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Case 921RB-RL-$69

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9-$50

Corsair HX Professional Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Compatible with Core i7 and Core i5 - CMPSU-750HX-$143

Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black)-$19

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX-$130

Total Bill comes out to $1,226. Took up the advise to look at newer stuff, which is pretty similarly priced. I also see that the Sapphire HD 6970 2GB has wonderful bang for my buck. Already got a Windows 7 OS laying around.

Even though the i5 2500k fits my needs now, later on it'll fall short. Next year I'm taking a class on CAD, which will require using home projects, so the i7 would perform there as well. I also want to start up a Machinima Project I was working on, so video editing will play a huge factor. Looks like a lot of people have a very similar setup to this, I guess that means this is good?

I would recommend the 2500K instead. You could always overclock it if you want more performance. If you want a top PC for next couple of years, then build a PC in April. Then you will have Ivy Bridge CPU and the 7000 series cards should be cheaper.

If you build now though, it would be a good idea to get the cheaper 2500K, then you could upgrade to an Ivy Bridge processor later on when you might need it without losing much money.

Back