Help computer, can't get GPL working

sesselpupser

Bearded Member
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
neema_t
Hello guys,

So I've just bought GPL. I can't get it to work. I'm running it on Windows 7 64 bit, I installed it with the GPLPS exe then added the GPL folder to the indexing... thing, then restarted the computer. It launches but it's very... Strange. First time I tried to run it it warned me of a missing .DLL but worked anyway, except I say 'worked', I mean not worked. The screen was flashing black in alternating bars and I could barely even quit the thing with the task manager.

I tried it again. I could just about do all the settings and then click a mysterious green rectangle in the lower right hand corner of the screen, I presume there's text missing from it and it's supposed to be an accept button. I worked out the frankly bizarre GUI in order to start a race, where it promptly crashed.

I'm hoping this is a common problem with an easy fix, but I'd be surprised if anyone even sees this thread as I'm sure no one checks this part of the forum any more as the last post was 10 days ago. I guess I'll ask over at nogripracing.com or just check out existing threads, I'm sure people still play this.

Cheers guys.

Have you tried running it in compatability mode for, say, Windows XP?

I had problems wih my GPL install when I tried to install it on my newer PC.

I have not tried that, no, but I found a site with links to all kinds of GPL stuff, wherein I found a more up-to-date version of the GPLPS installer than the one hosted on their own site. It was about 430MB bigger, so I downloaded it and went to bed before installing because I also found a guide which mentioned some other things which I've forgotten the names of, and the same guide said if you're running W7 or Vista then you should install it anywhere but C:, so I have that to try too. There was also something mentioned about a 67 Patch, I think, not sure what that is.

I will try this, though, if the extra steps in the guide (and the new installer) don't help. I hope Richard Burns Rally is a little more straightforward than this!

Cheers, I hope so too, cost me £3.50 that did! Thanks for your advice, by the way, I think I forgot to say so before.

I think You have to run it as administrator, but there might be other things involved.

Edit:
It been a couple of years since I played GPL, and You mad me curious to make it wok on Win7 as well. I have followed this guide, and I can confirm that it works on a 64bit. :cheers:

I really hope you get it running, because GPL really is something that you must experience if you like racing sims. It is way past it's prime, but there's a lots of graphic and sound updates that will make it look, and sound great. Plus there's hundreds of tracks available (Last time i played it.)

Last edited:
Cheers, I hope so too, cost me £3.50 that did! Thanks for your advice, by the way, I think I forgot to say so before.

No problem!

I think You have to run it as administrator, but there might be other things involved.

Edit:
It been a couple of years since I played GPL, and You mad me curious to make it wok on Win7 as well. I have followed this guide, and I can confirm that it works on a 64bit. :cheers:

I really hope you get it running, because GPL really is something that you must experience if you like racing sims. It is way past it's prime, but there's a lots of graphic and sound updates that will make it look, and sound great. Plus there's hundreds of tracks available (Last time i played it.)

Agreed, I have been playing this game since I was 5, and I am now 16. Haven't played it in about a year, but I think it's time to blow the dust off of my copy. :D

It really is an incredible sim.

Sigh, I really really hope that we get older formula cars and older tracks in GT5 as DLC, or at least in GT6 - Having just completed a race on the OLD spa track, I realize how much I miss it. The layout in most racing games, and GT5 is quite boring imho.

In any case, I hope more people will try Grand Prix Legends, even though it might not look up to the standards these days, it really gives a driving pleasure, that most games don't have.

Edit: And my Frex HShift plus is working in this game - big bonus. :dopey:

So I take it this is the Deus Ex of racing sims?

I've gotten a lot closer to making it work, but it's still not. I tried the V1.04 GPLPS installer, installed it on my D: drive, added the GPL folder to my indexing list, ran the game, entered my name and all that, set up the options, quit the game (I read somewhere that you HAD to do that), relaunched it, selected practice mode (seems wise), selected a track... Then it crashes when I try to race. A grey see-through box appears over the bottom right quarter of the screen, the cursor sometimes turns into an hourglass, and if you leave it for roughly 30 seconds it'll do a little crash for me. In other words, still not working.

I have not yet tried administrator mode. I've just posted a new thread on nogripracing.com asking for help, I'm extremely tired right now which is why I forgot to check here, so I'm off to try that and will report back. Thank you both for your help, gentlemen, much appreciated!

Edit: I set the 'gplc67' exe and 'gpl' exe to run as admin and they both crashed in the same way. It's worth mentioning I haven't installed GEM/iGor nor the 67 patch, are these mandatory?

I'm seriously dying to do some extremely low-grip racing around old, old circuits, I've been watching Youtube videos for literally minutes and it just looks like so much fun!

Edit again: So I downloaded GEM+ 2.5.32. I made some changes recommended by this guide: http://en.gplworld.eu/easy-installation-guide.html. Now when I click the green rectangle to start a race (after starting the game via GEM+), it crashes to desktop instantly... Problem is, of course, I have no idea which setting it is that GPL doesn't like, though I know it's not the renderer because neither D3D V2 nor OpenGL V2 work. I've tried going back and lowering the AA which I had previously set to 8, changed to 16 then back to 8 again, reverting the other rendering settings, display resolution (which is at 1680x1050)... I don't know, I'm getting really tired now so I might call it a day, get some sleep, and continue working on my sim rig while awaiting some experienced words of help.

Edit again: Actually, just before I do that, I'm going to go and 'invest' in Project C.A.R.S.

Edit again again: I got it working finally! I added gpl.exe and gpl67.exe to the data execution prevention list and it worked. Such an awesome sim for it's age. Thank you both very much for your suggestions!

Last edited:
Back